Canada dominates U18 winning gold and led by Brett Sonne!

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Who, yes Brett Sonne of the Calgary Hitmen.

I believe he led Canada in points and goals and was player of the game in the Gold Medal Final!

Drafted 13th overall by the Calgary Hitmen in '04, Sonne had a good rookie season last year in the WHL and probably didn't hurt his chances of getting drafted next spring with his performance at the U18 Junior World Cup.

Not a bad performance by Canada, minus two of their top players in Couture and Tavares, especially defensively, only giving up 2 goals in their last 3 games.

Any thoughts or recaps from anyone over in Europe who saw this tournament?

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Canada's U-20 squad's chances for Gold for the WJHC in late DEC. 2007 and again in 2008 looks very secure with this group coming up (including a healthy Couture and Tavares) and perhaps also the addition by then of (now still 15 year old phenom--'09 eligible) Matt Duchene.

Oilerfan120582

Jul 9, 2005
I wouldnt really get too jacked up over winning this tournament seeing as though the worlds best U-18 players from the United States arent even there. But congrats though I guess.

It's too bad they don't have a U-18 tournament where every country can send their best players like they do for the U-20 tournament. In the IIHF sanctioned U-18 tournament many of Canada's top players are committed to playing for their respective junior teams.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Canada's U-20 squad's chances for Gold for the WJHC in late DEC. 2007 and again in 2008 looks very secure with this group coming up (including a healthy Couture and Tavares) and perhaps also the addition by then of (now still 15 year old phenom--'09 eligible) Matt Duchene.

Another guy who? Wasn't Steve Anthony (I think thats his name) dubbed that. Also another guy i remember being called the next Crosby. Then add in Tavares. Either we are beginning to really overhype then or dear god.

espo*

I wouldnt really get too jacked up over winning this tournament seeing as though the worlds best U-18 players from the United States arent even there. But congrats though I guess.

Yeah,this is true.Just like the other under 18 tourney the U.S is winning all the time now with their soviet style National development team system and the Canadian team handicapped with the chl playoffs going on.The WJC is the better and more legitimate tourney that tells us more.That's where the real cream rises and it's pretty much the Euro teams and Canada that rule that thing.Not surprising,that's where the best talent comes from after all.

These under 18's and stuff,they don't tell us all that much.They are nice to win but no benchmark of any sort. Good for the scouts though.

Last edited by a moderator:

MaV

Jun 23, 2002

Yeah, when did it become a "Junior World Cup", like in the World Cup for juniors. I always thought it used to be called World Junior Cup and now Ivan Hlinka Memorial tournament.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad