Canada didn't deserve to make the final...

Status
Not open for further replies.

f1nn

Jan 12, 2004
Espoo, Finland
Leadzedder said:
Keep in mind that some (maybe even most) Canadians agree with you, so maybe you could put the word "some" in bold next time.

Oh and some non Canadian posters irritate with this Canada cheats BS when "Canada" is not the one officiating the games and handing out the suspensions.

yeah i in no way meant all, just some

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Vikke said:
How can you say that IIHF's rules penalize Canada?

Big ice: Not IIHF's fault.
How can it not be there fault? Its in the rules...rules that were written by the IIHF...

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Leadzedder said:
Keep in mind that some (maybe even most) Canadians agree with you, so maybe you could put the word "some" in bold next time.

Oh and some non Canadian posters irritate with this Canada cheats BS when "Canada" is not the one officiating the games and handing out the suspensions.

And those posters that somehow refuse to give Canada credit in any circumstances. As if somehow the string of wins we've put together is simply a series of flukes and well placed bribes to officials...

f1nn

Jan 12, 2004
Espoo, Finland
therealdeal said:
And those posters that somehow refuse to give Canada credit in any circumstances. As if somehow the string of wins we've put together is simply a series of flukes and well placed bribes to officials...

they were

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Finn said:
it's not they're fault like 14 of the 16 countries use large ice

What are you talking about? The best nation, the nation that invented the game doesnt. And its a disadvantage for Canada, no matter how you slice it. Face it, these tournaments rules have been set against Canada for 60 years, and no matter how you justify it, its true. So stop your complaining and buck up.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
All the various noise arguments notwithstanding, I think that the Final Four teams were the very deserving Final Four: Russia, Canada, Sweden, Czech Rep.

On paper, I think you could make a case for any of Russia, Canada or the Czech Rep. seeming to have the best set of hockey players. On depth and grit (if you believe in those things), I think it is probably fair for some people to have thought Canada might be a favourite to win it. On talent and firepower, the same argument could probably have been made for Russia or the Czechs.

Sweden is a bit of the odd team out, in that they're totally deserving of having been in the Final Four based on the way they played, but... on paper, you might not have predicted they would have been one of the top 4 going in.

So... given the 4 teams as they are, and a bit of inconsistency in terms of level of play particularly from Russia and Canada... I figure any of the four would be deserving enough winners, and hockey is a game of inches and missed calls and all that, and whoever wins, wins. And the other three teams could pretty much equally well have won, only they didn't. Regardless of the details of what happens in the games and what controversies were brewing. :dunno:

Jovo Cop

What does it matter about size ..canada wins on small ice , big ice , pond ice , martini ice ..if its on ice and stick and puck are involved ..we win ..get over it .I know North americans arent european but maybe we know a little itty bit about the game .After watching the under 18 tourney ..how can anybody with a straight face say North Americans get any breaks from the refs ..Jack Johnson of the USA got TOSSED from a game for hitting to hard !!!!!

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Jovo Cop said:
What does it matter about size ..canada wins on small ice , big ice , pond ice , martini ice ..if its on ice and stick and puck are involved ..we win ..get over it .I know North americans arent european but maybe we know a little itty bit about the game .After watching the under 18 tourney ..how can anybody with a straight face say North Americans get any breaks from the refs ..Jack Johnson of the USA got TOSSED from a game for hitting to hard !!!!!
Of course the rules are stacked against us. Like I said, not just big ice surface. Its was our ineligibility to use pros, calls against physical play, even legal physical play. Happens all the time. Thats the way it goes. The Nash non call was a bad call. But so were the two goals Canada has scored in the past two games that have been dissallowed. We got unlucky when the ref in the QF game lost sight of the puck under Lasak when it was clearly loose, and we got unlucky with an out of position linesman calling a phantom off-side which cost us a goal today. These things happen, sometimes they help decide the game. Thats hockey.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
the hockey Gods are on Canada's side

they win even when they're outplayed ... it's hard to understand, but it is true

Canada isn't winning because it plays better, Canada wins because it knows how to win, not how to play better

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
therealdeal said:
Of course the rules are stacked against us. Like I said, not just big ice surface. Its was our ineligibility to use pros, calls against physical play, even legal physical play. Happens all the time. Thats the way it goes. The Nash non call was a bad call. But so were the two goals Canada has scored in the past two games that have been dissallowed. We got unlucky when the ref in the QF game lost sight of the puck under Lasak when it was clearly loose, and we got unlucky with an out of position linesman calling a phantom off-side which cost us a goal today. These things happen, sometimes they help decide the game. Thats hockey.
thats hockey - play through - ( i must say one thing we don't do a lot of is - diving - its an artform in europe - )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad