GDT: "Canada Day Massacre" | Free Agent Frenzy | 7.1.19 | 10 AM MST

Who will the Oilers sign in free agency?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
What did Stauffer actually say re: a Lucic trade?

3 weeks seems like a weird number to throw out there considering his signing bonus was paid today?

Yeah honestly, if hes going to get traded, its probably going to happen in the next few days. GM's tend to close it down about a week after free agency.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Guess you’re right, might as well find another team to cheer for

He’s technically not wrong, half of the teams are more then likely done after today, about all are done by about the 5th. You’ll see some little movement around camp but nothing major, unless you have a guy like Karlsson essentially not wanting to go to camp. Our roster after about July 5 will be virtually set with maybe a few PTOs

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
He's a replacement level player. A good team wouldn't have him on their roster.
Most good teams have replacement level players on their active rosters.

What were you realistically expecting as a depth signing?

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Most good teams have replacement level players on their active rosters.

What were you realistically expecting as a depth signing?
I was unfortunately expecting Holland to be a dud like he's proven to be for the last 7 or 8 years.

So this is pretty much par the course.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I figured we must have had a winger lined up if we bought out Sekera...

Guess not. Bought him out for no reason..

Yup, there was ZERO reason to buy out Sekera this year.

Let him play and the worst thing that happens is that his trade value stays low, and you buy him out next year. A buyout next year would have been a lot better long term for the cap. Best case scenario is that he shows he can still play, and you either keep him, or trade him to free up the entire cap space. Beyond ludicrous that they bought him out yesterday, just mindbogglingly stupid.

Reactions: TB12

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
As much as we would like to Holland to do something, I still think its better to avoid doing too much today. Some of these signings are going to be terrible. That being said, I wish he would of done a bit more at the draft.

Reactions: Markham30

Rufus Aslegard

Jun 15, 2019
Signings by Holland. Smith, Granlund, Nygard, Chiasson

Looks like something a strong playoff team does in an off season to fill spots

Oilers are closer than a lot think.

Last year was really bad for a lot of reasons.

- no defensive depth when Klefbom went down - defensive depth better now with lots of young players
- lack of contributing bottom 6 forwards last year - should be better bottom 6 this year
- goalies shaky last year - M Smith will be better than Talbot and he has a chance to start (see 2019 playoffs)
- played Lucic in the top 6 when he had no business playing there - will be a 4th liner this year

Rookies and AHL players (Benson, McLeod) a year older.

Reactions: McHaNugYakEbNurDra

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
Man does that Nyquist contract hurts... I'd give it to him in a heartbeat.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
Meh another free agency where all the good free agents we don’t even get a sniff at. Holland was never going to change the Edmonton factor, but maybe he make better bets on league outcasts than Chia did. And draft better. We’ll see, but my overall theory as to why we suck still has more to do with our City than our Management.
I was born and raised in Edmonton, appreciate my upbringing there, but there's no way in hell I would ever move back. Now add an extra 0 to my salary, and you can see why hockey players don't want to come here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad