Canada cup instead of World cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

GOTTHEMONEY--SPENDIT

Jun 26, 2002
Visit site
I realize the whole Alan eagleson connection, which i think is why they changed it, but couldnt they just buy the rights to it or something, because not only does it sound better, is more distinctive--hence having "world cup...of hockey" in the title--everyone knew what the Canada cup was--and the trophy was cooler--tell me Team canada wouldnt want the states walking out of the building with the silver leaf

thoughts?

SerialSeb

Sep 1, 2005
Where hockey lives!
I'm all for it

Gives it a more meaningful name.

The games from Canada.

It's like the different between winning the US open or Wimbeldon they are equally important but it just sounds and feels better to win Winbledon. The history, the name it all merges to make it more unique and respectable.

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
I don't mind them calling it the World Cup. I just hope they hold the tournament every four years, and don't hold it whenever they feel like it. That totally cheapens its significance.

Hockey Canada should create a Canada Cup, where they have a late preseason tournament between the six Canadian teams, play the games in non-NHL cities (Saskatoon, Halifax, Winnipeg, Quebec City, etc). The original Canada Cup trophy can be awarded to the winners.

GOTTHEMONEY--SPENDIT

Jun 26, 2002
Visit site
yeah, but remember when USSR won it like (i dont know when), and alan eagleson flipped out and tried to take it back. If it just went to another canadian team it wouldnt be as fun i think.

SerialSeb

Sep 1, 2005
Where hockey lives!
Tricolore#20 said:
I don't mind them calling it the World Cup. I just hope they hold the tournament every four years, and don't hold it whenever they feel like it. That totally cheapens its significance.

Hockey Canada should create a Canada Cup, where they have a late preseason tournament between the six Canadian teams, play the games in non-NHL cities (Saskatoon, Halifax, Winnipeg, Quebec City, etc). The original Canada Cup trophy can be awarded to the winners.

:handclap:

Nice

I like

That would be wicked cool

Man it would be perfect if there were 8 teams still... then we could get a playoff system best of 5 for the first 2 rounds and then best of seven...

Wicked

Dude that would be so great!

McGuillicuddy

Sep 6, 2005
I agree with the original poster. Changing it to the 'World Cup of Hockey' (lame) was purely a marketing gimmick for the American audience on the part of Bettman and the boys. The name 'Canada Cup' reflects the origins of the tournament, the origins of the game, and acknowledges the nation that lives and breathes hockey like no other.

For all the changes under the Bettman regime, this is one thing I will never forgive him for.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Whatever they call it it's still Canada Cup. I don't see a problem with the actual name.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
I don't really care what they call it, just so long as they have it every 4 years (opposite to Olympics) and play it with NHL rules, that way the IIHF has a #1 international tournament, and so does the NHL.

time

Feb 26, 2005
GOTTHEMONEY--SPENDIT said:
yeah, but remember when USSR won it like (i dont know when), and alan eagleson flipped out and tried to take it back. If it just went to another canadian team it wouldnt be as fun i think.

Spetember 1981. I was there. 8-1. Bad memory. . .

Bytown

Mar 8, 2003
littleD said:
They should scrap it and think about having a "real" World Cup.

That will never happen.The point of the nhl world cup is to have the best of the best the 8 teams that are in it now are the best in the world.Whats the point of expanding and having some 12 plus weak very weak teams no point at all.

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
jaydog2005 said:
That will never happen.The point of the nhl world cup is to have the best of the best the 8 teams that are in it now are the best in the world.
No. Germany isn't in the top 8 anymore. And Belarus might not be in the top eight either but they were still good enough to beat Sweden in 2002, it's not like they can't compete. With 12 teams at least the first round wouldn't be completely useless as it was last year.

Injektilo

Feb 3, 2005
Taiwan
McGuillicuddy said:
The name 'Canada Cup' reflects the origins of the tournament, the origins of the game, and acknowledges the nation that lives and breathes hockey like no other.

For all the changes under the Bettman regime, this is one thing I will never forgive him for.

Agreed. It was a very politically correct move, and "World Cup" just confuses it with Soccer.

And if I were American or Russian, I'd feel pretty damn proud of myself for walking into Toronto or Montreal or Hamilton, playing the Canadians and then walking out with a trophy named the Canada Cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad