Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
1697119482161.png

1697119516259.png

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
With the effort he gave today, may have been a big blessing in disguise missing out on Tarasenko. He was such a stud for the Blues in their Cup run and even 2 years ago but it seems at this point the injuries have piled up and he just doesn't care that much any more.

Tarasenko is a floater these days that can still pick a spot every once in a while. 1 year 3 million, sure take the gamble. Not at 5 though.

Gotta wonder if Tarasenko in the Canes environment would be less of a floater than Tarasenko in the Ottawa environment. Not just Rod, but the entire team committed to the degree of effort they put forth might have an impact, whether it be subconscious or explicit.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Matches the eye test. Orlov had a rough first game, but there were signs that he can contribute. And Joseph was, by far, Ottawa's most dangerous player.
It'll probably take a few months for Orlov to really gel with the team. Most defensemen we bring in end up struggling at first until they really start to fit into the system. But he's got a ton of skill, is willing to throw his weight around, and has some offensive pop to his game. Once he finds his fit, our defense is unbelievably stacked.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I agree with y'all. Orlov was maybe our worst player by the turnovers and some decision-making getting burned. But he also displayed a lot of puck carrying ability, big hits, and overall skill. I think he'll be fine in the end, but I could see myself worrying after the first 5-10 games.

Andersen was dialed in. Had a lot of nice saves, but also the 1st and 3rd goals felt a little weak. The 3rd was Stutzle, who has elite skill, it just looked like he should have had the short side IIRC. The 1st looked like it floated through from far off, but I didn't watch replay. Maybe it was tipped. I feel like it's typical Andersen to let in a questionable one and make all kinds of point blank shots. That's probably just the luck of being an NHL goalie.

It was crazy how Ottawa gapped up SO tightly in the 1st period. We got nothing going. I'm curious what adjustments we made in the 2nd because we had control of the game for the most part after the first 20. I thought "damn Ottawa maybe is a good defensive team with healthy Chychrun", but I guess that was premature. Nevertheless, as long as they are a team of individually skilled players without a strong collective team identity, they don't scare me at all. Even a much less skilled team like the Islanders or Predators but with good identity and team defense is harder to play against.

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011
Part of Orlov's adjustment will be playing with D'Angelo which can be challenging, I'm sure. Many criticize Tony for that every chance they get, but despite his shortcomings 5v5, our PP1 was legit dangerous once they got set up. I credit that 100% to Tony being the main distributor (quick, decisive, misdirection, on the tape passes, etc.). It was a pleasure to watch.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Part of Orlov's adjustment will be playing with D'Angelo which can be challenging, I'm sure. Many criticize Tony for that every chance they get, but despite his shortcomings 5v5, our PP1 was legit dangerous once they got set up. I credit that 100% to Tony being the main distributor (quick, decisive, misdirection, on the tape passes, etc.). It was a pleasure to watch.
He moves the puck with intent and doesn't let it sit on his tape for too long. That alone is a huge improvement over what we saw last year. The puck movement last night was much improved over what we saw pretty much all year last year.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Matches the eye test. Orlov had a rough first game, but there were signs that he can contribute. And Joseph was, by far, Ottawa's most dangerous player.
I don’t think I’ve seen a player struggle more with his new team in his first game. He looked like he was trying to justify his contract in one night.

He’ll probably be the most offensively dangerous dman we’ve had in a long time but it wasn’t last night. He kept charging right at them with the puck…..and losing it.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I don’t think I’ve seen a player struggle more with his new team in his first game. He looked like he was trying to justify his contract in one night.

He’ll probably be the most offensively dangerous dman we’ve had in a long time but it wasn’t last night. He kept charging right at them with the puck…..and losing it.

His defensive side was a bit of a mess as well. I spotted a couple times where he was out of position because it seemed like he couldn’t decide which player to cover. Which just kind of left him in no man’s land while Ottawa pressured.

But it’s Game 1. If it’s still happening in Game 25-30, then it’s concerning.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
First goal was on KK as TDA pinched but KK didn't cover (he fell) and as such the Sens got on a break that resulted in a goal after the first save.

But do agree, that TDA will not be as dependable a D partner as perhaps Chatfield would be. IMO, I'd rather have Chatfield out there.

btw: Bunting surprised me as he apparently has a decent one-timer which should boost the PP too (and TDA does move the puck well).

Reactions: zman77

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Some of the complaints about Orlov-DeAngelo on X seem absurd to me. Many of them sound like sour grapes because they don't like DeAngelo, but there's a reason you play him over Chatfield any day of the week and twice on Sundays: he's elite offensively, and not just on the PP, but at 5-on-5 as well. We also have the luxury that almost no other team outside of Colorado can, which is to shelter his defensive minutes.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I agree with y'all. Orlov was maybe our worst player by the turnovers and some decision-making getting burned. But he also displayed a lot of puck carrying ability, big hits, and overall skill. I think he'll be fine in the end, but I could see myself worrying after the first 5-10 games.

Andersen was dialed in. Had a lot of nice saves, but also the 1st and 3rd goals felt a little weak. The 3rd was Stutzle, who has elite skill, it just looked like he should have had the short side IIRC. The 1st looked like it floated through from far off, but I didn't watch replay. Maybe it was tipped. I feel like it's typical Andersen to let in a questionable one and make all kinds of point blank shots. That's probably just the luck of being an NHL goalie.

It was crazy how Ottawa gapped up SO tightly in the 1st period. We got nothing going. I'm curious what adjustments we made in the 2nd because we had control of the game for the most part after the first 20. I thought "damn Ottawa maybe is a good defensive team with healthy Chychrun", but I guess that was premature. Nevertheless, as long as they are a team of individually skilled players without a strong collective team identity, they don't scare me at all. Even a much less skilled team like the Islanders or Predators but with good identity and team defense is harder to play against.
on the shot indicators after the first period it showed that the goal scoring location was out just in front of the crease instead of the blueline so it definitely took a deflection off something, just not sure who/what. Still think he could have had it but not necessarily should have had, the only one he should have stopped for sure is their 3rd goal.

Ottawa seems like they could be dangerous if they can play like they did the first 10 minutes of the game consistently. Not sure about their goaltending though and I was pretty high on Korpisalo for a while even.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

Going from his entire career emphasizing zone matchups on defense vs going to the one team in the league that emphasizes man coverage on defense also can't help for even the best defensemen. The Canes are a unique team in a lot of regards and that's probably our biggest one tactically for that position at least, so it's no wonder it takes guys like Orlov and Burns that have been around for a while a solid month to adjust usually.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
How does it do that? We spend to the cap every year, usually over it when you consider LTIR we've spent. The team is saving nothing, but it is maybe costing some players money.

That's what I meant. If it's costing players money, that means the Canes are getting more cap space to use on other players. So Carolina's roster is paid the cap. But if they played like Ottawa, it might be paid 10 million over the cap.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
That's what I meant. If it's costing players money, that means the Canes are getting more cap space to use on other players. So Carolina's roster is paid the cap. But if they played like Ottawa, it might be paid 10 million over the cap.

I don't know just how much the system is "costing" players money. Plenty of our guys have been very well-paid by others in UFA the minute that they hit the open market. I think the majority of our cap savings is because 1. Our front office bets on the right horses early on, 2. Our front office also knows when to fold them (aka. when the Devils and Rangers overpaid Hamilton and Trocheck), and 3. Because we're now a cup contender, many players are willing to take some sort of concession to play here instead of a worse team. The largest evidence of this, at least to me, was Orlov and Bunting taking shorter contracts here instead of gunning for longer term elsewhere.

Reactions: zman77 and DaveG

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
on the shot indicators after the first period it showed that the goal scoring location was out just in front of the crease instead of the blueline so it definitely took a deflection off something, just not sure who/what. Still think he could have had it but not necessarily should have had, the only one he should have stopped for sure is their 3rd goal.

Ottawa seems like they could be dangerous if they can play like they did the first 10 minutes of the game consistently. Not sure about their goaltending though and I was pretty high on Korpisalo for a while even.
"Ottawa seems like they could be dangerous if they can play like they did the first 10 minutes of the game consistently. Not sure about their goaltending though and I was pretty high on Korpisalo for a while even."

They should give Jersey & Oilers fits with first team to 7 the winner.

Reactions: zman77 and DaveG

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
"Ottawa seems like they could be dangerous if they can play like they did the first 10 minutes of the game consistently. Not sure about their goaltending though and I was pretty high on Korpisalo for a while even."

They should give Jersey & Oilers fits with first team to 7 the winner.
They're going to call the game in the second period?

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
I don't know just how much the system is "costing" players money. Plenty of our guys have been very well-paid by others in UFA the minute that they hit the open market. I think the majority of our cap savings is because 1. Our front office bets on the right horses early on, 2. Our front office also knows when to fold them (aka. when the Devils and Rangers overpaid Hamilton and Trocheck), and 3. Because we're now a cup contender, many players are willing to take some sort of concession to play here instead of a worse team. The largest evidence of this, at least to me, was Orlov and Bunting taking shorter contracts here instead of gunning for longer term elsewhere.
Never forget Orlov called us.
greys-anatomy-owen-hunt.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad