Canada awarded 2006 WJC

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCCHL inactive

Gilmour's Way said:
consdier the crowds we get and compare that to what u will see in most european host countrries

Now that I have deciphered what you have said...

In European host countries, the arena fills when the home team plays...just like it is here in Canada.

When Canada plays Finland in a couple weeks, the stands will be sold out. When Canada plays against other teams, they won't be full.....much like a Slovakia vs. Switzerland game wouldn't sellout here.

BCCHL inactive

evman150 said:
It was stated in the Times Colonist (Victoria BC) the other day that Victoria may make a bid for the 2006 WJC.

The new arena will seat around 7500. Is that big enough for the WJC?

That would be so cool if we got it. Wow.

Victoria would be to Vancouver what Sydney was to Halifax....maybe a few more games for Victoria considering the size of the arena....but no way the IIHF goes to the Southwest BC without going to Vancouver, especially with the 2010 Olympics coming.

Vancouver won't be shunned in favour of Victoria.

gohabsgo2010

Feb 28, 2003
sign Patrick Poulin
As long as the Knights remain a top notch team (and they should - there's plenty of good young talent around here), than fans here will love their hockey. London-Kitchener would be a very good choice. The arena (John Labatt Centre) is first class, only two seasons old, and it would be smart to plant the tourney right in the middle of Southwestern Ontario, where fans from Windsor-Detroit-Sarnia and Hamilton-Niagara-Buffalo can access the games easily, too. I think we've already sold about 6,250 ticket packages here, but I'm not sure how that compares to the other competing cities.

Besides, I want to go. ;)

BCCHL inactive

littleD said:
Do you think London possibly (probably?) getting the Mem Cup in '05 will have any affect on the chances of the Kitchener-London bid for the WJC?

Slim to nil.

The reason I say this is because of how the OHL decides who hosts the Memorial Cup when it is their turn. Teams earn the right to bid by being among the top teams in the standings by a certain point in the season. I may be mistaken, but I think the top 6 OHL teams by December (or sometime close to December) have the right to bid.

That, and by the time the 2005 Memorial Cup takes place, the host for the 2006 World U20 Championship will already be decided.

Last edited by a moderator:

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Van said:
Now that I have deciphered what you have said...

In European host countries, the arena fills when the home team plays...just like it is here in Canada.

When Canada plays Finland in a couple weeks, the stands will be sold out. When Canada plays against other teams, they won't be full.....much like a Slovakia vs. Switzerland game wouldn't sellout here.

Sometimes. But there have been quite a few games I've seen in the past where the host country only has a few hundred in attendance. Many of which are scouts, and families of the Canandians. Switzerland awhile back sticks out the most.
You can't argue with the fact we put more people in the seats.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Not much talk about Winnipeg being a contender :dunno:
The papers here believe we have a very strong bid.

BCCHL inactive

FLAMESFAN said:
Not much talk about Winnipeg being a contender :dunno:
The papers here believe we have a very strong bid.

That's because Winnipeg just had it in 1999.

Halifax and Winnipeg are the underdogs in this bid because of the fact that they have held the last two World U20 tournaments held in Canada.

I think Vancouver has to be the favourite with them being host to the 2010 Olympics. Winning the Olympic bid is going to bring many pre-Olympic events, and I believe this tournament will be one of them.

plaugher

May 2, 2002
Halifax, NS
Visit site
Van said:
I think Vancouver has to be the favourite with them being host to the 2010 Olympics. Winning the Olympic bid is going to bring many pre-Olympic events, and I believe this tournament will be one of them.

That could quite possibly end up being the case. Wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Would absolutely LOVE to see it in Halifax again, but I'd reckon the chances of hosting the tourney back-to-back (in spite of the massive profits turned and the huge attendance, even for "meaningless" games) would be slim to none.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Van said:
That's because Winnipeg just had it in 1999.

Halifax and Winnipeg are the underdogs in this bid because of the fact that they have held the last two World U20 tournaments held in Canada.

In your opinion that makes Winnipeg an underdog.
Yes we held it in 1999, and at that time we put together the most successful tournament ever, and now Halifax has pushed the bar even further. Our bid is for 2006, a full 7 years later.

Winnipeg has shown time and time again that this city loves international events, and puts together some of the best. Most recent examples would be the Pan American Games, and the Indigenous Summer Games. When we host events such as these, the whole city is 100% behind it. There is very little competition from any other rival events (NBA, NHL....). Everyone in the city talks about these events just the same as people talk about the weather around the water cooler.

Add in the fact that by that time Winnipeg will have a brand new, state of the art arena built (specifically for events such as these) and Winnipeg is no longer an underdog.

It is my belief that the success average sized cities such as Winnipeg and Halifax have had hosting the World Juniors, has essentially made it harder for the big cities to follow (Vancouver, Montreal, Toronto).
The biggest hurdle Winnipeg will face in winning the bid is not the fact they hosted it in 1999, but the fact that Grand Forks has the bid in 2005, and they are just a 2 hour drive south of here.

Legoglu

Shouldn't dismiss the Ottawa efforts... nearly 9000 ticket packages reserved. Jeff Hunt the owner of the 67's is making a real run for it. He has some pretty big boys backing him also. We have quite a few facilities to play host for the WJC 2006. The Civic centre OHL sits 10,500 Guertin arena LHJMQ 5,500 and the Corel Centre NHL 18,000. The fan base is huge here.

SpezNc2

Mar 3, 2002
Legoglu said:
Shouldn't dismiss the Ottawa efforts... nearly 9000 ticket packages reserved. Jeff Hunt the owner of the 67's is making a real run for it. He has some pretty big boys backing him also. We have quite a few facilities to play host for the WJC 2006. The Civic centre OHL sits 10,500 Guertin arena LHJMQ 5,500 and the Corel Centre NHL 18,000. The fan base is huge here.
It will be Vancouver or Quebec.

Like Vlad, it will be very hot to see those world junior here in Montreal.

And to see Canada beat anyteam in Final int front of a crowd of 21273....

We 'll kick ass Halifax records... LOL

I'd like to see Ottawa too. It's "near" from Montreal... (If you prefer, we can drive to...)

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
marshall4 said:
Where will the 2004 & 2005 world juniors be?

The current ones in Finland are the 2004's.

The 2005's are in Grand Forks, North Dakota and Thief River Falls, Minnesota.

I don't think it's just the local blood in me that says the Ottawa-Hull bid is the bid to beat. Two local junior teams, two large arenas to use, a city that loves hockey and is the capital of a country that loves hockey.

Ottawa put on a great Memorial Cup in 1999 (setting attendance records that were only narrowly eclipsed four years later in Kitchener). They could put on a great U20 tourney too.

Volchenkov

Feb 1, 2003
elibenporat.blogspot.com
I wouldn't be surprised if Melnyk helps out with the Ottawa bid. He and Hunt have worked together in the past and will most likely in the future. Ottawa is a legit junior hockey town with perhaps the greatest junior coach of all time and one of the OHL's top teams year in and year out. The 67s are always in the tops in attendance and sold out the Memorial Cup a few years ago. I think that if you combine all those factors Ottawa should be the favourite to get the bid.

I would be seriously surprised if there weren't a joint bid put together by Brampton, Mississauga, Toronto, and Hamilton. Everything is within an hour of everything else, and there's ridiculous amounts of buildings to hold it in. The OHL has three teams in the area, Hamilton has Copps Coliseum, Toronto has the Ricoh Coliseum (where the AHL Road Runners play), the ACC, and (for history's sake) Maple Leaf Gardens. I should do wonders for Toronto's tourism since the whole SARS dealie.

Also I live right down the street from the Hershey Centre in Mississauga.

BCCHL inactive

FLAMESFAN said:
It is my belief that the success average sized cities such as Winnipeg and Halifax have had hosting the World Juniors, has essentially made it harder for the big cities to follow (Vancouver, Montreal, Toronto).

I look at the other side of the coin. If the average sized cities had such success, then imagine what a bigger city could accomplish.

I still say that no matter how good bids are from the other cities, Vancouver has one thing that nobody else can claim....the Olympics. To have the World U20 Championships in Vancouver as the first major pre-Olympic event will be the main point of Vancouver's bid.

And besides that, Vancouver has GM Place and Pacific Coliseum..two major arenas, and the Burnaby 8-rinks for practice facilities. And there is also Victoria, only a 2-hour ferry ride across the strait, with a new 7,500 seat arena themselves. I think if you put Victoria and Vancouver as a joint bid, they would be unbeatable.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Van said:
Unfortunately, Kamloops has no hope in hell, as is the case for here in Prince George. PG and Kamloops submitted a joint bid for the 1999 WJHC that was given to Winnipeg, but the IIHF has this fetish for a minimum 10,000 seat arena for every tournament. The last Canadian city with less than that to host this tournament was Red Deer in 1995. The Centrium fits just over 6,000.

This is why I think the WJHC in Red Deer were so special. Not only for Red Deer, but many surrounding towns who got to hold at least one game. In my hometown (pop. 7000 - arena cap. less than 1000), we got a pretty good game between the US and Russia. I don't know if we'll see that sort of thing again in Canada. Now, it's all going to be about money... the bigger the arenas, the more money they bring in. I guess you can't blame them too much, but I think they should hit a smaller junior city every once in a while.

Upchuck19

May 6, 2003
Visit site
From everything I have been listening to and have heard Vancouver is the front runner. With Kelowna, Kamloops and Victoria maybe getting some games.

2010 Olympic's gold metal game will be in BC Place, could the 2006 WJC gold metal game be in BC Place?

BCCHL inactive

Upchuck19 said:
From everything I have been listening to and have heard Vancouver is the front runner. With Kelowna, Kamloops and Victoria maybe getting some games.

2010 Olympic's gold metal game will be in BC Place, could the 2006 WJC gold metal game be in BC Place?

No chance. The Olympic Gold Medal game could sell 60,000 seats, but the World U20 Gold Medal game can't....not even in Canada.

As far as Kamloops and Kelowna getting some games if Vancouver wins the tournament, I think it is very unlikely. The tournament is generally played out of two arenas, and not more than an hour or two apart. Kamloops is about 3-4 hours from Vancouver and Kelowna is about 5-6 hours out. That's just too far.

What I would like to see is similar to what the schedule is in Finland this year with each rink hosting one group's games....with the exception of one switch so the host can play in the other building once.

I would like to see Pacific Coliseum used for Canada's group, and Victoria Arena used for the other group (with one switch so Canada plays once in Victoria). And for the Gold and Bronze Medal Games, I think it would be alright to break out of the 2-arena setup to put that in GM Place.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Volchenkov said:
I wouldn't be surprised if Melnyk helps out with the Ottawa bid. He and Hunt have worked together in the past and will most likely in the future. Ottawa is a legit junior hockey town with perhaps the greatest junior coach of all time and one of the OHL's top teams year in and year out. The 67s are always in the tops in attendance and sold out the Memorial Cup a few years ago. I think that if you combine all those factors Ottawa should be the favourite to get the bid.

To illustrate just how fantastic the 67's are in terms of attendance, they have the highest attendance level of any non-NHL hockey team in North America. No junior, AHL or any other minor pro team has as good a fan base. And this with a pretty damn good NHL team and (presently) the best junior team in the country in the region as well. Unlike Vancouver (and Toronto), Jeff Hunt and the 67s have hosted the Memorial Cup in 1999, a junior hockey mega-tournament, and they would have hosted it aagain already if not for the unwritten rule of not allowing a city to host it twice in a row. Also, unlike Toronto (don't know about Vancouver), the Senators and the Corel Centre are guaranteed to play a role. The Gold Medal Game, if not some other games are going to be held there, regardless of Canada's success in the medal rounds.

Also, I'd personally love to see Brian Kilrea be the coach of the Canadian entry in 2006. It would just seem all too fitting, especially if he does retire, although I don't see him retiring that soon.

Upchuck19

May 6, 2003
Visit site
Van said:
No chance. The Olympic Gold Medal game could sell 60,000 seats, but the World U20 Gold Medal game can't....not even in Canada.

As far as Kamloops and Kelowna getting some games if Vancouver wins the tournament, I think it is very unlikely. The tournament is generally played out of two arenas, and not more than an hour or two apart. Kamloops is about 3-4 hours from Vancouver and Kelowna is about 5-6 hours out. That's just too far.
Then why is Bruce Hamilton working with Ron Toigle in the bid process? That's right the Rockets are working with the Giants on a joint bid! If one pool plays out of Kelowna and Kamloops, then the final would be in Vancouver. Canada would only be in Vancouver, this is confirmed by Rocket office staff!

BCCHL inactive

Upchuck19 said:
Then why is Bruce Hamilton working with Ron Toigle in the bid process? That's right the Rockets are working with the Giants on a joint bid! If one pool plays out of Kelowna and Kamloops, then the final would be in Vancouver. Canada would only be in Vancouver, this is confirmed by Rocket office staff!

First of all, where is your link for this confirmation?

Secondly, if Vancouver plans to bid with Kelowna, the 2006 World U20 Championship will not be in Vancouver.

The IIHF will not want to have a 5-6 hour drive between two host cities...and don't even think that the IIHF would pay for teams to fly between Kelowna and Vancouver come medal round time.

Also, do you really think people will buy ticket packages in droves in Kelowna if they won't get to see Team Canada play at least once? ...They might buy ticket packages alright....for the games in Vancouver.

Upchuck19

May 6, 2003
Visit site
First of all Van, this story is old it was in Kelowna papers 7-10 days ago so I doubt I can find a link. I was talking to office staff in the Rockets so it's a for sure thing.

Where is your confirmation or link that the IIHF doesn't want to have cities that far apart? Bus travel is 4-5 hours on good roads.

A lot happens down south hear that oviously you guys in PG don't hear about. There was a site for worldjuniors2006.com, that isn't up right now. You may think your in the know in Kelowna, but your not Van!

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
SpezNc said:
It will be Vancouver or Quebec.

Like Vlad, it will be very hot to see those world junior here in Montreal.

And to see Canada beat anyteam in Final int front of a crowd of 21273....

We 'll kick ass Halifax records... LOL

I'd like to see Ottawa too. It's "near" from Montreal... (If you prefer, we can drive to...)

No doubt if Canada played in gold medal games Montreal would sell out Bell Center.

But i doubt youd get more than 9000-10000 for a game between Sweden and Belarus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->