WJC: Canada and their goal celebrations

gojacketsgo61

Fire the Refs!
Apr 27, 2009
Am I the only one who thinks you can celebrate as much as you desire if you score? Obviously, if it's a blowout it's a different story but when it's a game that counts and it's close, celebrate as you please.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
Blame the Russians. I remember Canadians didn't celebrate like that a few years ago. Russians always celebrated with a touch of arrogance and some were pointing at their national logo when they scored and that caused a little bit of outraged. I then started to see Canadians doing the same as some sort of in your face a retaliation, but then I guess they liked the feeling of such celebrations so now they all do it. They're still teenagers after all and the whole society lacks respect nowadays.

CODER33

Nov 28, 2010
Kitchener, Ontario
If you start a thread like this and say that the players should be banned from the NHL, please pause and think of the fans in the arena and the millions of fans at home cheering and celebrating 10 times worst than the young player that just electrified a country, a nation that eat, sleeps and breaths hockey...

NativeHockey77*

they may play during christmas but thats the sacrafice when you want to be a Professional hockey player. If they dont like it can easily go home and play ball hockey

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
My response is if you don't like teams celebrating, don't let them score. Hockey is entertainment, the players were feeding off the energy of the building which was filled with excited Canadian fans.

This is one my biggest pet peeves about society, always needing to make sure no one gets their feeling hurt... And this is from someone who grew up getting picked on for being short. I'm better for it, I can take critizism without crying, and I can look past something as small as a goal celebration.

NativeHockey77*

My response is if you don't like teams celebrating, don't let them score. Hockey is entertainment, the players were feeding off the energy of the building which was filled with excited Canadian fans.

This is one my biggest pet peeves about society, always needing to make sure no one gets their feeling hurt... And this is from someone who grew up getting picked on for being short. I'm better for it, I can take critizism without crying, and I can look past something as small as a goal celebration.

but if the russians beat us 20-0 and at the 20th goal they were all going wild and putting their sticks between their legs you would be getting mad i tell u wut.

your just a hypocite. wait till it happens to canada. i hope it happens to us to teach them kids a lesson.

don cherry talks about that kind of stuff too. everyone on here was crying around when kovalchuk was celebrating before he put the puck in the net at the world juniors ...... what happen to that?

you were probably mad about that then....so dont try to come in here saying its ok when its not :shakehead

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
Seriously???

These kids have given up their Christmas to represent their country - more then can be said for any of us. I say let them stand on their heads if they want. Let them enjoy the moment.

You are only young once... life has a habit of taking the fun out of life as you get older.... let them enjoy it while they can.

Seriously, man???

That post you quoted was dripping with sarcasm.

As far as the opening post, this is the biggest stage these guys have ever played on. I'm sure pretty much everyone of us would react the same if we scored a goal in front of 18,000 screaming fans.

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
but if the russians beat us 20-0 and at the 20th goal they were all going wild and putting their sticks between their legs you would be getting mad i tell u wut.

your just a hypocite. wait till it happens to canada. i hope it happens to us to teach them kids a lesson.

don cherry talks about that kind of stuff too. everyone on here was crying around when kovalchuk was celebrating before he put the puck in the net at the world juniors ...... what happen to that?

you were probably mad about that then....so dont try to come in here saying its ok when its not :shakehead

There is a difference between ridding a stick vs high fives even hugs thats fine.You say you want it to happen to canada well every team does it so who is going to teach them a lesson.Canada is not worse then any other team in the tournemant in fact you could say there one of the better teams.

NativeHockey77*

There is a difference between ridding a stick vs high fives even hugs thats fine.You say you want it to happen to canada well every team does it so who is going to teach them a lesson.Canada is not worse then any other team in the tournemant in fact you could say there one of the better teams.

seriously ima love it when canada gets spanked and theyre doing the same thing. all canadians will be mad after that. mark my words.

you got the game won, you got the goal why go crazy? what happened to people showing class these days :shakehead

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
seriously ima love it when canada gets spanked and theyre doing the same thing. all canadians will be mad after that. mark my words.

you got the game won, you got the goal why go crazy? what happened to people showing class these days :shakehead

Again every team does it russsia did it many times its not a big deal.Lossing 6-3 is not getting spanked and if russia had won the least of the concerns would be what they do after they score.

DuckingandCupping

Jun 18, 2010

except it wasn't 20-0 it was a tight game for the most part and the 6th goal clinched it... i would fully expect a team who just scored their 6th goal to clinch the victory to celebrate... are you even canadian? a subban fan too....

YOU ARE AN IDIOT... and i'm american... aren't we supposed to be the ignorant fools?

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
I sense the OP is just trolling for responses!

Let's not feed the troll!

Mods....This thread is a good candidate to be locked down!

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto

All Canadians cant't be as subdued and classy as PK. The guy makes Steve Yzerman look like Claude Lemieux!

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
Wow, people aren't allowed to be happy and cheer after scoring in the NHL or the WJC?! Sick of people whining about goal celebrations. You can't have a rule saying you can't cheer too much. I for one would have done the same thing. Don Cherry has too much impact on some people, not good at all.

And talking about respect and goal celebrations is such ********. It doesn't have anything to do with respect. I wouldn't care if someone celebrated like that after 5-1, 6-1. People need to stop being so sensitive.

Klaus

Teemu!
May 8, 2010
Winnipeg, MB
chellitroll.gif

Khabby

Mar 3, 2007
Halifax
Ok im from canada first and foremost. But i just cant help but every year i see this and it URKS me to the core. Canada scored their final goal last night and they already had the game in the bag and they're cheering around like they just won the stanley cup.

whats with the young kids these days not showing respect and just tapping gloves after a goal? act like you scored a goal before.

:shakehead

its the same thing as when kovalchuk was cheering before he put the puck in the empty net....everyone here was mad about it then but its ok when canadians are going crazy after a goal?

Don Cherry is that you?

Altimus

Probably drunk
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2006
West end Ottawa
The Op just became the first person on my ignore list...I've never know that a thread could be a waste of space. Most Canadians dream of scoring a goal with a Team Canada jersey on, and to finally get it you expect them to act like its a funeral..thats just classless of you to think you should take that joy from them. it wasnt even a blow out game.

DwightKSchrute

Feb 11, 2009
Ok im from canada first and foremost. But i just cant help but every year i see this and it URKS me to the core. Canada scored their final goal last night and they already had the game in the bag and they're cheering around like they just won the stanley cup.

whats with the young kids these days not showing respect and just tapping gloves after a goal? act like you scored a goal before.

its the same thing as when kovalchuk was cheering before he put the puck in the empty net....everyone here was mad about it then but its ok when canadians are going crazy after a goal?

Funny, you talk about not showing any respect and your avatar is of PK Subban.

nitz

Jul 27, 2009
Did the OP even WATCH the Russians after they scored their first goal? Give me a break, it's not just Canada that does it.

And to be honest, I don't see the big deal ANYWAY. Quit turning up your nose and sniffing at every little bit of flavour that comes into the game. Fans like you really, really suck.

milhouse7

Oct 17, 2010
Hey let's be happy they aren't running around with their shirts over their heads and pretending to be an airplane. I mean what's with that .... and that's professionals doing it. Hockey players class >>> Soccer Players

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site

As a Canadian watching this back in 2001, I was absolutely entertained and pleased to see Kovalchuk just pile it on before scoring his empty netter! What an entertainer, and it certainly was exciting for all the Canadians back home to see such youthful enthusiasm by a teenage hockey player!!!

Nothing wrong with what Ilya is doing here, it is just part of the youth of hockey demonstrating their passion and love of the sport.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
As a Canadian watching this back in 2001, I was absolutely entertained and pleased to see Kovalchuk just pile it on before scoring his empty netter! What an entertainer, and it certainly was exciting for all the Canadians back home to see such youthful enthusiasm by a teenage hockey player!!!

Nothing wrong with what Ilya is doing here, it is just part of the youth of hockey demonstrating their passion and love of the sport.

Ahhh....back in the good old days when Ilya enjoyed playing hockey!!

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010

Rellllaaaaaaaaaxxxx! The kid just scored a goal in the biggest game of his life, probably something he has been dreaming to do, in front of 20 000+ fans, after a big 3rd period after facing some adversity. And honeslty even it was just another game, just cause you celebrate does not mean you are rubbing it in. Hey, you scored! You should be able to do whatever the hell you want, just be ready to take it as well.

I am not going to lie, I have celebrated goals while up 5 - 0 by jumping into the glass and rubbing it their face. I know it gets them mad, but hey, I am not going to make sure I am polite to the other team when we are trying to nail eachother into the boards all game. It gets in their heads for next game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad