Canada and CERB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Who decides if it is safe to go back to work at the same safe job you had before?

The govt?
The employer?
The employee?

One would think that if the govt said it was safe to reopen and the employer likewise did, then it is.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Who decides if it is safe to go back to work at the same safe job you had before?

The govt?
The employer?
The employee?

One would think that if the govt said it was safe to reopen and the employer likewise did, then it is.
The actual government agency will depend on your province and your workplace. Your employer is obligated to operate a safe workplace, and should be enacting measures to mitigate the risk to their employees from COVID-19. Either an employer can request an inspection and report directly to certify their workplace, which they can show to their employees to per-empt any unsafe work claims, or an employee can request one from the agency if they think it is unsafe.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
The actual government agency will depend on your province and your workplace. Your employer is obligated to operate a safe workplace, and should be enacting measures to mitigate the risk to their employees from COVID-19. Either an employer can request an inspection and report directly to certify their workplace, which they can show to their employees to per-empt any unsafe work claims, or an employee can request one from the agency if they think it is unsafe.

That's what I thought
So no, you cant refuse to go back to your job while still claiming CERB?

Last edited:

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
A lot of people may be in for a surprise from their own company. Just heard about a guy who was off for a few weeks because he claimed he was high risk. Turns out the company and our insurer did their investigation and didnt agree. He reported back for work today, and was told the company will claw back 6 grand

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
That's what I thought
So no, you sent refuse to go back to your job while still claiming CERB?
Only if the ministry of labour (or equivalent provincial agency) determines that your workplace is unsafe and you aren't require to go in. The other option is if you go back with a significant cut in your wages, you can claim a partial CERB.

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
anyone know if the 14 days no work is still a thing?
I had fairly steady work up until May 11th and haven't worked a day/hour since.

Should I apply for a week or two? Like if I get work/more than the $1000, can I just cancel the Cerb? It's kinda confusing for reduced hours when you're not sure when/if you'll get work again.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
anyone know if the 14 days no work is still a thing?
I had fairly steady work up until May 11th and haven't worked a day/hour since.

Should I apply for a week or two? Like if I get work/more than the $1000, can I just cancel the Cerb? It's kinda confusing for reduced hours when you're not sure when/if you'll get work again.

Who can apply: Applying for CERB with CRA - Canada.ca

14 days in a row during the 4-week period is a requirement for your first time applying for CERB.

For subsequent periods, you have to have been not working or working reduced hours and not expecting to earn $1,000 for the entire period.

Reactions: The Hockey Tonk Man

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
A lot of people may be in for a surprise from their own company. Just heard about a guy who was off for a few weeks because he claimed he was high risk. Turns out the company and our insurer did their investigation and didnt agree. He reported back for work today, and was told the company will claw back 6 grand

The insurance companies back the medical leave plans and are on the hook for claims. They are ruthless in investigating flimsy claims (as they should be, so many disability cheats out there mooching off everyone else).

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Did you also miss the part where they are going to look into every case and all the fraudulent ones will have to pay that money back come tax time?

Will be super easy for the CRA to track down, they have all the records to quickly verify. As soon as the crisis is over all those people are going to get letters in the mail. Pay back in 30 days or face compounding fines. Enjoy, cheaters!

P10p

May 15, 2012
Will be super easy for the CRA to track down, they have all the records to quickly verify. As soon as the crisis is over all those people are going to get letters in the mail. Pay back in 30 days or face compounding fines. Enjoy, cheaters!

I have serious doubts our government is that adept to process this with any serious speed.

Also I doubt they will hold offenders over the fire.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
gonna be interesting to see whether or not they'll extend it past 4 months, imo they most likely will

Psyfer

Mar 1, 2008
Toronto

I am pretty sure they said they wont be applying fees and interest if your found ineligible you will just have to pay it back

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I am pretty sure they said they wont be applying fees and interest if your found ineligible you will just have to pay it back

Honest mistakes shouldn't be confused with fraudulent claims, and probably won't either.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I fully expect them to spend about 3 times more in the recouping process compared to the money they actually get back.

There are government agencies that aren't a model of effectiveness and efficiency.
The CRA isn't one of these.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
they might bring in a death tax like the states have to pay for this.

We already have something similar in Canada. For most properties, there's a deemed disposition at fair market value at the time of death (except there's generally a tax-free rollover when the deceased person's assets are "rolled over" to their spouse).

Example - an individual bought stocks with a cost $100K. It's worth $300K when they die. They have to pay tax at their marginal rate on the taxable portion of the capital gain ($200K - of which, $100K is the taxable portion).

I Hate Blake Coleman

F*** the oilers
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
They need to dump CERB. If your job is now opening and you refuse to work you should not be entitled to CERB. If you only made 800 a month at your "job" then you shouldn't be getting $2000 dollars.
Increasing GST, child tax etc was a complete waste of money.
Moot point. CERB is taxable income. Not only might you get kicked off of CERB for refusing to work, if you don't, the CRA is definitely going to find out sooner rather than later.

snopro31

Apr 21, 2007
MANITOBA
That is what the poster I was quoting was claiming though, that people will not go back to their $800/month job and just keep collecting CERB money.
Its happening right now. I know people doing this and are still getting CERB. Hell I know people who's jobs never closed but they got CERB.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Its happening right now. I know people doing this and are still getting CERB. Hell I know people who's jobs never closed but they got CERB.
Both of those situations are fraud and it will get clawed back, the latter example especially will likely face possible prison time.

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
So I've been laid off for a month and a half. My employer thinks mid to late June I will be going back to work.

Does this mean for the next period I just apply for the CERB for June and if I start job again owe back the $2000 at tax time next year? I have no idea if they will actually follow through and hire me back or if I'll have my regular hours.

I don't see how they could call this fraud when the employer has all the power and there is rent and bills to be paid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->