WC: Canada 2019 roster (Who will go in Slovakia ?)

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Mark Stone's really after having a coming out party this tournament. I'd have him on my Team Canada A team for sure.

Its only a coming out for other Canadian fans. Stone has played like this the past two years he was with the Sens.

Hes incredible and so underrated

Reactions: tony d

PecnoTrunk

Dec 20, 2014
I'm impressed with Dubois

Will Dubois >> laine ????

Columbus picking Dubois over Puj was a master stroke. Tsn hyping the 2 players from Finland the same way they over hype American players

Do tsn analysts know their hockey ???

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
The silly questions they ask of players in sports, they are doing a post game interview of stone and the tsn guy goes................" how big a goal was that?"

Now how do you answer something like that? what else can you do but state the obvious and stone did.........."yeah, it was pretty big"

No shit!! You could tell Stone was rolling his eyes in his head.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
I am surprised at people on here that thought he was on the bubble to begin with.

I've relented. and included Stone on my 25 man A Team roster. Yesterday sealed the deal. He and Marner will have to take turns playing RW on J.T.'s line. for now. probably won't be updated until late November.

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
Murray is so calm and collected... never panics, his rebound control is top notch, directs the rebounds to the corner with ease like Brodeur... never paid attention to Murray before but I'm becoming a big fan.
Troy Stecher, another player I never paid attention to, he's a solid minute eater, I think he'll become more important as the tournament goes on

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
I'm impressed with Dubois

Will Dubois >> laine ????

Columbus picking Dubois over Puj was a master stroke. Tsn hyping the 2 players from Finland the same way they over hype American players

Do tsn analysts know their hockey ???

In fairness, I think the Puljujarvi hype was justified at the time. He had a solid performance in Liga against men, and what he did at the WJC as a 17 year old was virtually unprecedented (only Jagr had more points as an U-18 in history; Gretzky and Lindros had the same amount). He's also built similarly to Dubois so it wasn't as if he was undersized.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Whats your current 25 player roster?
Also interested.

Mine would be...

14 Forwards: McDavid, Crosby, MacKinnon, Marchand, Bergeron, Point, Hall, Tavares, Scheifele, O’Rielly, Marner, Stone, Stamkos, Duchene

5 In the mix: Barzal, Huberdeau, Dubois, Couture, Toews

8 Defensemen: Giordano (L), Doughty (R), Burns (R), Rielly (L), Chabot (L), Pietrangelo (R), Parayko (R), Dumba (R)

5 In the mix: Letang, Morrissey, Theodore, Barrie, Pulock

3 Goalies: Price, Holtby, Murray

2 In the mix: Fleury, Binnington

Marchand-Crosby-Bergeron

One of if not the best line to play hockey, ever. Incredible chemistry and two-way dominance headed by a top-5 player of all time.

Hall-McDavid-MacKinnon

Just outrageous speed and skill. Could easily be the trio of Hart finalists on any given year, headed by a generational player who could realistically surpass Crosby.

Tavares-Point-Marner

All high-clutch players with gaudy offensive numbers and great two-way games. I think the chemistry would be fantastic; besides the JT-MM connection, Marner plays a lot like Kucherov, with whom Point has found such success. Two potential centremen, the playstyles fit together perfectly.

Scheifele-O’Rielly-Stone

Two potential Selke finalists. All great blue-collar players who still find themselves among the league leaders in points. Lots of physicality here, too.

Stamkos, Duchene

Centremen who can and have played the wing. Great speed, defensive acumen, and game-breaking ability. Can fit wherever in this team of clear identity.

Giordano-Doughty
Rielly-Burns
Chabot-Parayko
Pietrangelo, Dumba

All top-pairing guys. Giordano, Doughty, and Burns are all likely top-5 in Norris voting this season. Rielly, Chabot, and Parayko will be there very soon. Top-6 is properly balanced with handedness.

Price
Holtby
Murray

Not much to be said. Who cares if Price isn’t Hart-level in the NHL anymore, his dominance with our men’s team is historic. These guys are cool as cucumbers and can be counted on to make all the saves they have to, not become iced when the team dominates in the other end for long stretches, and have the ability to make stops on pucks they have no business getting to.

To the contrary of everything we hear, no other nation comes even remotely close to that roster. We could split it in half and make two, and each would be the favourite over any opponent, as well.

Reactions: NyQuil

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Whats your current 25 player roster?

Marchand Crosby Bergeron
Hall McDavid MacKinnon
Giroux Tavares Marner/Stone
O'Reilly Towes Scheifele
Couturier

Giordano Brodie
Rielly Doughty
Chabot Burns
Pietrangleo/Subban

*if Vlasic comes back in form to start the season (the way he played in the POs) then he wins his spot back alongside Burns and Chabot is with Pietrangelo. Subban gets dropped. Vlasic still has 1 or 2 elite level best on best tournaments left in him.

Fleury
Price
Holtby

and I'm expecting Hall to back and in fine form as we kick of the new season in Oct.

And Babcock is still the coach.

Last edited:

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Also interested.

Mine would be...

14 Forwards: McDavid, Crosby, MacKinnon, Marchand, Bergeron, Point, Hall, Tavares, Scheifele, O’Rielly, Marner, Stone, Stamkos, Duchene

8 Defensemen: Giordano (L), Doughty (R), Burns (R), Rielly (L), Chabot (L), Pietrangelo (R), Parayko (R), Dumba (R)

Marchand-Crosby-Bergeron

One of if not the best line to play hockey, ever. Incredible chemistry and two-way dominance headed by a top-5 player of all time.

Hall-McDavid-MacKinnon

Just outrageous speed and skill. Could easily be the trio of Hart finalists on any given year, headed by a generational player who could realistically surpass Crosby.

Tavares-Point-Marner

All high-clutch players with gaudy offensive numbers and great two-way games. I think the chemistry would be fantastic; besides the JT-MM connection, Marner plays a lot like Kucherov, with whom Point has found such success. Two potential centremen, the playstyles fit together perfectly.

Scheifele-O’Rielly-Stone

Two potential Selke finalists. All great blue-collar players who still find themselves among the league leaders in points. Lots of physicality here, too.

Stamkos, Duchene

Centremen who can and have played the wing. Great speed, defensive acumen, and game-breaking ability. Can fit wherever in this team of clear identity.

Giordano-Doughty
Rielly-Burns
Chabot-Parayko
Pietrangelo, Dumba

All top-pairing guys. Giordano, Doughty, and Burns are all likely top-5 in Norris voting this season. Rielly, Chabot, and Parayko will be there very soon. Top-6 is properly balanced with handedness.

Price
Holtby
Murray

Not much to be said. Who cares if Price isn’t Hart-level in the NHL anymore, his dominance with our men’s team is historic. These guys are cool as cucumbers and can be counted on to make all the saves they have to, not become iced when the team dominates in the other end for long stretches, and have the ability to make stops on pucks they have no business getting to.

To the contrary of everything we hear, no other nation comes even remotely close to that roster. We could split it in half and make two, and each would be the favourite over any opponent, as well.

To beat it, the entire team would have to break curfew and go on a dusk to dawn bender showing up for the pregame warmups reeking of booze and chili fries. man, do I miss those days.

Reactions: Dominance

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Also interested.

Mine would be...

Marchand-Crosby-Bergeron

Hall-McDavid-MacKinnon

Tavares-Point-Marner

Scheifele-O’Rielly-Stone

Stamkos, Duchene

Giordano-Doughty
Rielly-Burns
Chabot-Parayko
Pietrangelo, Dumba

Price
Holtby
Murray

Nice lineup, interesting call on Brodie.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Also interested.

Mine would be...

Marchand-Crosby-Bergeron

Hall-McDavid-MacKinnon

Tavares-Point-Marner

Scheifele-O’Rielly-Stone

Stamkos, Duchene

Giordano-Doughty
Rielly-Burns
Chabot-Parayko
Pietrangelo, Dumba

Price
Holtby
Murray

Now that's a REAL interesting call on Dumba.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I think you meant to quote someone else. :)

He’s a really, really good player. Has been Minnesota’s best d-man every time I’ve watched them. Great offensive chops and has really cleaned up his defense.
I am gonna make it a point to focus on him more next year when the Wild are on t.v.

Reactions: Dominance

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I like what I've seen in this tournament, to the point that it's already a success for Canada in my eyes regardless of what follows. The young players get to play in the maximum number of games and in some pressure situations, which is the main thing I hoped for. It's good that Canada is doing well, but my enjoyment is also limited by the realities of international hockey right now. If Canada wins that's nice but the results in this tournament aren't a focus to me. I'm more pleased by things like Stone performing tremendously. I had Stone on my theoretical 2018 Olympic roster and he would be primed for a best on best 2020 World Cup, but such a thing isn't going to happen anyway. Even if the NHLers go to the 2022 Olympics it's too far off. Chabot is also performing well and looks like a guy who could be a darkhorse up and comer for 2020, but it isn't happening. Dubois is impressing and looks like a guy who could possibly have a spot on a best on best roster, but we don't know when that is going to happen. It casts a pall over the whole thing for me. I am mostly pleased that Mantha, Detroit player who I wanted to see internationally since his debut in 2014, looks good.

Good on the players if the team does well, and I like how well this group has come together, but my enthusiasm is low due to things outside of this particular tournament.

Last edited:

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I like what I've seen in this tournament, to the point that it's already a success for Canada in my eyes regardless of what follows. The young players get to play in the maximum number of games and in some pressure situations, which is the main thing I hoped for. It's good that Canada is doing well, but my enjoyment is also limited by the realities of international hockey right now. If Canada wins that's nice but the results in this tournament aren't a focus to me. I'm more pleased by things like Stone performing tremendously. I had Stone on my theoretical 2018 Olympic roster and he would be primed for a best on best 2020 World Cup, but such a thing isn't going to happen anyway. Even if the NHLers go to the 2022 Olympics its too far off. Chabot is also performing well and looks like a guy who could be a darkhorse up and comer for 2020, but it isn't happening. Dubois is impressing and looks like a guy who could possibly have a spot on a best on best roster, but we don't know when that is going to happen. It casts a pall over the whole thing for me. I am mostly pleased that Mantha, Detroit player who I wanted to see internationally since his debut in 2014, looks good.

Good on the players if the team does well, and I like how well this group has come together, but my enthusiasm is low due to things outside of this particular tournament.[/QUOTE]
Bolded point 1:I agree, so refreshing to see the rather good team game and hustle compared to last years unit, just that has been a relief and success.

Bolded point 2: I am always enthusiastic about the possibility of a Team Canada winning gold.

Reactions: Uncle Rotter

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Has Stone ever played his off wing before? A Stone-Tavares-Marner line is ridiculous to think about...and it would be the teams 3rd line lol.

He may be smart enough to figure it out. and Giroux can give him pointers on how it's done. If that trio clicked it would be magic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->