WC: Canada 2019 roster (Who will go in Slovakia ?)

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Hart is confirmed, also Blackwood. Is Kuemper that goalie who don't go to the Worlds?

Not sure if you're asking if Kuemper was in and now out for this year. I really don't know what's going on with the roster. It's late this year. Last year the 1st. 18 were named on the 12th. of April. So, either we got a mountain of declines (more than we usually get) or this management group is real frosty and waiting to see who's out when all 1st.rd. series finish up.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Nate pulled it off. on to the 2nd. rd. and good for him. I'll wait patiently until next year with hopes of seeing MacKinnon and Makar.

sadly, we certainly can't count on any of the Flames answering the call. If Winnipeg bows out then Mark Scheilfele would be nice, but I suspect he's playing injured.

So, heading into the final week of April and still no HC press release of the 1st.18 players named to the team is truly bizarre.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Do we end up with CIS players on the team at this point? I am joking but this could be as bad a team as we have sent in years unless we get some big name players that turn up out of nowhere.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Do we end up with CIS players on the team at this point? I am joking but this could be as bad a team as we have sent in years unless we get some big name players that turn up out of nowhere.

maybe. could be heading that way. + a few players from European leagues. And this point, If I were HC, I'd start the paperwork on getting Lafreniere a waiver to play.

BrainyBomber

Apr 1, 2018
Nate pulled it off. on to the 2nd. rd. and good for him. I'll wait patiently until next year with hopes of seeing MacKinnon and Makar.

sadly, we certainly can't count on any of the Flames answering the call. If Winnipeg bows out then Mark Scheilfele would be nice, but I suspect he's playing injured.

So, heading into the final week of April and still no HC press release of the 1st.18 players named to the team is truly bizarre.

Doesn't start until May 10 and a few players are normally added after the 2nd round so there is still a shot if the Avs are eliminated next round.

They are probably just waiting for the 1st round to end to make the initial announcement

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Nate pulled it off. on to the 2nd. rd. and good for him. I'll wait patiently until next year [...]

No, you just haven't noticed that to oblige the NHL, the IIHF has been pushing the World Championships ever deeper and deeper into May every year.

In the past, we used to have the finals of World Championships around May 9th, or even sooner. This year, the tourney doesn't even start until May 10th.

That's a great move on the part of IIHF. :thumbu:

In practice, players from 27 (!) out of 31 NHL teams will be able to join the tournament – if they're truly interested in representing their country rather than choosing a vacation spot for their family, that is.

So, only the 4 NHL teams advancing to conference finals are out of play. This has never been the case in the past – it's a first this year. Therefore, there's still plenty of time to announce nominations.

(And, oh yeah, I live within walking distance of the arena in Bratislava, so I certainly hope we can welcome as many hockey superstars as possible. Perhaps I'll be able to snatch an autograph/selfie?) :naughty:

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
I thought maybe a couple Canadians could have played here... Stecher, Horvat, Hutton, or Pearson at the very least.

Surprising to hear almost no news, usually Bob McKenzie is reporting some news on the WC considering TSN covers it.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Wow, its shaping up to be one of the worst on paper Canadian teams in a long while, 2015 and 2016 feels like such a long time ago already. Seems like we'll only get another loaded team once the gold drought starts to get close to a decade long, at least thats how I perceived the 2015 team finally winning gold after a long wait from 2007, as if HC reached out to the players and said, "hey listen I know you'd rather be with family but Canada hasn't taken this thing in 8 years now.."

2023, 2024 Team Canada should be another powerhouse.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
18 days to puck drop...probably about 10 days until TC plays a pre-tournament game or 2 (still don't know where that will be and against whom) and about 5 players confirmed. This year Hockey Canada takes its laissez-faire approach to the WHC to a whole other level.

Last edited:
Reactions: Retroglyphs

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
18 days to puck drop...probably about 10 days until TC plays a pre-tournament game or 2 (still don't know where that will be and against whom) and about 5 players confirmed. This year Hockey Canada takes its laissez-faire approach to the WHC to a whole other level.

Seems like Hockey Canada is waiting for the 1st round of the playoffs to come to an end. Maybe they have feelers out and will have some good names sign up when over?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->