WJC: Canada 2019 Roster Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Did Dobson and Smith ever get any time together in the Showcase? I get the feeling that they are the envisioned top pairing unless TC wants to break them up to anchor their own pairings.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I’m obviously biased now as a Sharks fan but Merkley needs to be ahead of guys like Woo and probably a few others. You can pair him with a better defensive dman but the offence he brings from the backend is second to none.
He's no Quinn Hughes. I don't think they will be missing offense from the backend. Guys like Dobson, Smith, Bouchard.. and they will take someone like Addison, Beaudin, Tychonick for the PP or to have a more offensive option without completely giving up the farm defensively. I agree Merkley has the potential and he had some great moments at the U18s but I don't think they gamble on him

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Did Dobson and Smith ever get any time together in the Showcase? I get the feeling that they are the envisioned top pairing unless TC wants to break them up to anchor their own pairings.
Yes, in earlier practices and maybe one spit squad game. I would rather split them up, have 44 minutes of the game with either on the ice. Bernard-Docker looked great when he shifted from McIsaac's pair.

Dobson - Bouchard
Smith - Bernard-Docker
McIsaac - Addison
Beaudin

This is a very strong puck moving defense but it is unfair in 2019-20 where they only lose Addison and Beaudin.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Yes, in earlier practices and maybe one spit squad game. I would rather split them up, have 44 minutes of the game with either on the ice. Bernard-Docker looked great when he shifted from McIsaac's pair.

Dobson - Bouchard
Smith - Bernard-Docker
McIsaac - Addison
Beaudin

This is a very strong puck moving defense but it is unfair in 2019-20 where they only lose Addison and Beaudin.

Do you prefer Dobson on the left side or is that due to the adundancy of RD's? I don't know if Bouchard is his ideal partner. Maybe pair it McIssac-Dobson, Smith-Bouchard?

It was a bumper crop of defensemen in the 2018 class. The 2000's look great. Don't know if you can count on Dobson/Bouchard/Smith being available again as all could be in the NHL in 2019-2020.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Do you prefer Dobson on the left side or is that due to the adundancy of RD's? I don't know if Bouchard is his ideal partner. Maybe pair it McIssac-Dobson, Smith-Bouchard?

It was a bumper crop of defensemen in the 2018 class. The 2000's look great. Don't know if you can count on Dobson/Bouchard/Smith being available again as all could be in the NHL in 2019-2020.
I'm not a huge fan of Bouchard and Smith together outside of offensive zone faceoffs. Bouchard will get a ton of room to shoot or someone will be wide open across the seam. Bernard-Docker and Smith were extremely smooth together, no teams could get anything longer then a one and done against them in the offensive zone.

Reactions: 99664987

deakka

Nov 6, 2009

Dobson - Bouchard
Smith - Bernard-Docker
McIsaac - Addison
Beaudin

Addison is 00 born. So hes still eligible 19/20 as well

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I really like Dobson's game. I can definitely see him as the top defenceman. I'm also curious to see how Hunter handles Brook and Woo. This decade Canada has had some problems with coaches selecting players from their own junior teams and overplaying them.

VasilyHoglander

Jun 28, 2014
West Vancouver
I’m obviously biased now as a Sharks fan but Merkley needs to be ahead of guys like Woo and probably a few others. You can pair him with a better defensive dman but the offence he brings from the backend is second to none.
Canada usually don't take players with attitude problems especially WJC being such a short tourney, everyone needs to be a team player.

wishywashy19

Dec 14, 2011
some one must know the deal with Vilardi and Tippett?
these guys can't be hurt all the time unless it is their feelings.
will they ever where the uniform or have they gone sour??
who knows?

wishywashy19

Dec 14, 2011
F:
1- Cody Glass C R 99 WHL
2- Barrett Hayton C L 00 OHL
3- Robert Thomas C R 99 OHL
4- Shane Bowers C L 99 NCAA
5- Maxime Comtois LW L 99 QMJHL
6- Alex Formenton LW L 99 OHL
7- Morgan Frost C L 99 OHL
8- Michael Rasmussen C L 99 WHL
9- Owen Tippett RW R 99 OHL
10- Gabe Vilardi C R 99 OHL
11- Nick Suzuki C R 99 OHL
12- Jaret-Anderson Dolan C L 99 WHL
13- Jack Studnicka C R 99 OHL

D:
1- Ty Smith L 00 WHL
2- Jared McIsaac L 00 QMJHL
3- Pierre-Olivier Joseph L 99 QMJHL
4- Noah Dobson R 00 QMJHL
5- Evan Bouchard R 99 OHL
6- Ian Mitchell R 99 NCAA
7- Nicolas Beaudin L 99 QMJHL

G:
1- Michael DiPietro 99 OHL
2- Olivier Rodrigue 00 QMJHL
3- Matt Welsh 99 QMJHL

Just based on what’s at Summer Camp, this is what I’d roll out and I fully expect Lafreniere to be on the team come Christmas. He’s only not there because U18 players go to that event, HC has always operated this way.

I think you did a good job with the forwards at least. Your number 12 and 13 picks seemed to please coach Hunter.
I hope number 9 and 10 come out of hiding.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Given the Coach Woo is a lock and he should be on the team regardless. Obviously still a ways away but for me Smith, Dobson, McIsaac, Bouchard and Woo are the basic locks and Brook a good chance of making it

Smith-Dobson
McIsaac-Bouchard
?-Woo/Brook
Woo/Brook

That spot will be a battle between Bernard-Docker, Addison, Joseph, Tychonick, Mitchell, Merkley. Maybe Beaudin, Lauzon, Bernard, X Bouchard, etc but doubtful

As a wings fan I would love to see McIsaac playing top 4 but its rare to see a guy his age in Canadas top 4 and be a second round pick. But that entire defense is young so its hard to say what will happen. McIsaac is a team Canada guy though so maybe it happens.

Some of these dmen are going to have to come out and play well to tart the season. The idea of Woo on the bottom pair and McIsaac on the second pair means theres always going to be a dman out there who can take someones head off with a big hit which is always good in these tournaments because some of the Europeans get intimidated easily.

How did he look in the showcase? I only watched one game and McIsaac wasnt playing

I dunno. Hes flashy and has a lot of talent, but Canada has guys they can rely on defensively, and to not be shit heads, while till producing offense. Just because a guy like Bouchard doesnt dangle around and look flashy doesnt make his points count for any less and the year he just had was massive offensively.

They took him as recently as the under 18’s in April/May where he tied for the team lead amongst dmen in scoring

And then didnt even invite him to this camp with 2 full split squads even though he led the dmen in scoring that recently. I think hes a guy that could definitely make the team if he has a good start but I have a feeling HC doesnt like him much if he wasnt even invited to this

some one must know the deal with Vilardi and Tippett?
these guys can't be hurt all the time unless it is their feelings.
will they ever where the uniform or have they gone sour??
who knows?

I read on twitter that Vilardi is hurt so not in the tournament. No idea on Tippett though

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
The Canadians went undefeated in the Summer Camp. I know it doesn't mean much, but it does look good for the upcoming WJC. Especially the last game, it wasn't a very good team and we beat a real good American team.

Foudy-Glass-Tippett
Comtois-Vilardi-Lavoie
Studnicka-Suzuki-Dellandrea
Bowers-Hayton-Entwhistle
Noel

Smith-Bernard-Docker
McIssac-Dobson
Brook-Bouchard
Woo

DiPietro
Villalta

NHL: Thomas, Rasmussen, Formenton.

Kind of a worst-case scenario, I highly doubt Glass, Tippett, or Vilardi make their NHL line-up. Thomas is 99% for me, Formenton is a 65%, Rasmussen is a 50%.

I think this Canadian squad, regardless of who is selected will be similar to the last group. They got a lot of size and speed, they can create 4 lines that will keep the other teams pinned in their own zone with speed and size. They'll still have high-end skilled players like Glass, Tippett, Vilardi, Suzuki, Hayton, similarly to Kyrou, Steel, Dube, Raddysh, and Thomas.

Also, the new head scout of HC, Brad McEwen is a sharp guy, the Hlinka team looks great, 2018 WJC team looked great, this Summer Camp squad looked fantastic.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
The Canadians went undefeated in the Summer Camp. I know it doesn't mean much, but it does look good for the upcoming WJC. Especially the last game, it wasn't a very good team and we beat a real good American team.

Foudy-Glass-Tippett
Comtois-Vilardi-Lavoie
Bowers-Hayton-Entwhistle
Noel

Smith-Bernard-Docker
McIssac-Dobson
Brook-Bouchard
Woo

DiPietro
Villalta

Kind of a worst-case scenario, I highly doubt Glass, Tippett, or Vilardi make their NHL line-up. Thomas is 99% for me, Formenton is a 65%, Rasmussen is a 50%.

I think this Canadian squad, regardless of who is selected will be similar to the last group. They got a lot of size and speed, they can create 4 lines that will keep the other teams pinned in their own zone with speed and size. They'll still have high-end skilled players like Glass, Tippett, Vilardi, Suzuki, Hayton, similarly to Kyrou, Steel, Dube, Raddysh, and Thomas.

Also, the new head scout of HC, Brad McEwen is a sharp guy, the Hlinka team looks great, 2018 WJC team looked great, this Summer Camp squad looked fantastic.
I think I'd be a bit worried about Foudy in a key scoring role. An offensive LWer spot seems right there for the taking, and I have a feeling by the selection camp that Lafreniere will get that spot. We don't really have anyone on the wings who has flashed elite scoring ability yet outside of Tippett. Now, Rasmussen coming back would alter that, as he would be a good fit as our first line LWer given the depth up the middle. Or they could move Hayton to LW and either move Bowers

I'm not sure Thomas is a 99% to be an NHLer, or at least to the extent he is competely out of the picture. Blues tend to be patient and they don't have a top 9 center spot for him. There's a chance he gets trapped in middle ground and loaned out to us. Could see the same Pietriangelo playbook of, 9 NHL games, AHL loan, shortly back to the OHL then camp. Or just straight from the AHL to camp.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Foudy-Glass-Tippett
Comtois-Vilardi-Lavoie
Bowers-Hayton-Entwhistle
Noel

Smith-Bernard-Docker
McIssac-Dobson
Brook-Bouchard
Woo

DiPietro
Villalta

I think all of Thomas, Rasmussen and Formenton will be available.. 2/3 for sure imo. I like the D ;pairings you picked though, not sure of the order.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
I think I'd be a bit worried about Foudy in a key scoring role. An offensive LWer spot seems right there for the taking, and I have a feeling by the selection camp that Lafreniere will get that spot. We don't really have anyone on the wings who has flashed elite scoring ability yet outside of Tippett. Now, Rasmussen coming back would alter that, as he would be a good fit as our first line LWer given the depth up the middle. Or they could move Hayton to LW and either move Bowers

I'm not sure Thomas is a 99% to be an NHLer, or at least to the extent he is competely out of the picture. Blues tend to be patient and they don't have a top 9 center spot for him. There's a chance he gets trapped in middle ground and loaned out to us. Could see the same Pietriangelo playbook of, 9 NHL games, AHL loan, shortly back to the OHL then camp. Or just straight from the AHL to camp.

Agreed, I would take Lafreniere over Foudy as well in that spot. Lafreniere needs to be on this team.

Thomas can’t go to the AHL yet, it’s either the NHL or juniors for him. I think he’s got a good shot to crack the Blues roster.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Agreed, I would take Lafreniere over Foudy as well in that spot. Lafreniere needs to be on this team.

Thomas can’t go to the AHL yet, it’s either the NHL or juniors for him. I think he’s got a good shot to crack the Blues roster.
My mention of the AHL was in regard to using the 2 week conditioning stint to send him there. I know he can't be there full time.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I think all of Thomas, Rasmussen and Formenton will be available.. 2/3 for sure imo. I like the D ;pairings you picked though, not sure of the order.

From everything the wings brass has been saying, dont count on him to be back in junior. I would put his chances of the NHL at like 80%. Theres a possibility he doesnt play well and gets sent back to the WJC and then back to junior but I doubt it. The wings seem to want his help on the PP pretty bad this year

Yeah Foudy seems like the classic energy line player for Canada, I highly doubt hes on a top line. Lafreniere could be Canadas best player next year (or top 3 anways), I think he'll play a major role in the offense. Foudy would have to have a ridiculous start to be counted on in a scoring role, especially getting moved away from his natural position to be one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->