WJC: Canada 2019 Roster Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
my guess would be:

Comtois, Tippett, Vilardi and Glass...but only 2 become regulars. The other 2 will be made available come Dec.12. at least that's my hope.

Sounds plausible. Robert Thomas seems like a legitimate contender to make the NHL next year as well.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
In my eyes Glass, Vilardi, Thomas, Tippett and maybe Dobson all have a chance to be NHLers next year.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Here's what I'm expecting at the Summer Camp:

Comtois-Thomas-Vilardi
Rasmussen-Glass-Tippett
Formenton-Suzuki-Mattheos
Ratcliffe-Anderson-Dolan-Bellerive
Frost-Veleno-Noel
Strome-Hayton-Joly
Lafreniere-Morand-Dudas
Bowers-Studnicka

Ty Smith-Evan Bouchard
PierreOliver Joseph-Noah Dobson
Ryan Merkley-Calen Addison
Jared McIsaac-Ian Mitchell
Kevin Bahl-Cameron Crotty
Jaret Tyzska-Josh Brook

Dipietro
Kooy
Villalta
Rodrigue

PuckLife

Feb 26, 2015
Here's what I'm expecting at the Summer Camp:

Comtois-Thomas-Vilardi
Rasmussen-Glass-Tippett
Formenton-Suzuki-Mattheos
Ratcliffe-Anderson-Dolan-Bellerive
Frost-Veleno-Noel
Strome-Hayton-Joly
Lafreniere-Morand-Dudas
Bowers-Studnicka

Ty Smith-Evan Bouchard
PierreOliver Joseph-Noah Dobson
Ryan Merkley-Calen Addison
Jared McIsaac-Ian Mitchell
Kevin Bahl-Cameron Crotty
Jaret Tyzska-Josh Brook

Dipietro
Kooy
Villalta
Rodrigue
Three Greyhounds :)

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Sounds plausible. Robert Thomas seems like a legitimate contender to make the NHL next year as well.

who's going to be the coach? has there been any word yet?

can't remember if Ducharme said after Buffalo if he would be interested in coming back for a 3rd. year.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
who's going to be the coach? has there been any word yet?

can't remember if Ducharme said after Buffalo if he would be interested in coming back for a 3rd. year.

No idea who the coach will be. Ducharme is an assistant in Montreal now so it won't be him. Wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being one of his assistants from the two previous teams.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
No idea who the coach will be. Ducharme is an assistant in Montreal now so it won't be him. Wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being one of his assistants from the two previous teams.

wow. I did not know that. good for him. future Canadiens Head Coach.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
my roster:

highlighted would be those I expect to be with their NHL teams and therefore unavailable to help in the repeat effort.

M COMTOIS

C GLASS

G VILARDI

A FORMENTON

R THOMAS

O TIPPETT

M RASMUSSEN

M FROST

N SUZUKI

ISAAC RATCLIFF

S BOWERS

S MATTHEOS
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

B HAYTON
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

PIERRE-OLIVIER JOSEPH

N DOBSON

T SMITH

E BOUCHARD

R MERKLEY

J WOO

C ADDISON
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

M DIPIETRO

OLIVIER RODRIGUE
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

6 players to replace any of the 4 forwards should they remain in the NHL:

ALEXIS LAFRENIÈRE

R LAVOIRE

S NOEL

BENOIT-OLIVIER GROULX

J VELENO

A THOMAS
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

young D corps

I don't expect any to remain with their NHL teams, but if we do lose 1 or 2 for usual reasons - NHL/injury

JARED MCISAAC
IAN MITCHELL
KEVIN BAHL

A strong gold medal contending team...and on home ice...anything short of an appearance in the GMG would be a huge disappointment.

would like to see Lafreniere out-perform some of the 19 year olds and force his way on to the team regardless of what others do with their NHL clubs. He won me over at the U18 tournament...even though the team turned in a disappointing result.

Reactions: 99664987

Wings4Life

Apr 11, 2007
Ov Steamrolls Jagr!
my roster:

highlighted would be those I expect to be with their NHL teams and therefore unavailable to help in the repeat effort.

M COMTOISC GLASSG VILARDI
A FORMENTONR THOMASO TIPPETT
M RASMUSSENM FROSTN SUZUKI
ISAAC RATCLIFFS BOWERSS MATTHEOS
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
B HAYTON
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
PIERRE-OLIVIER JOSEPHN DOBSON
T SMITHE BOUCHARD
R MERKLEYJ WOO
C ADDISON
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
M DIPIETRO
OLIVIER RODRIGUE
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

ALEXIS LAFRENIÈRE R LAVOIRES NOEL
BENOIT-OLIVIER GROULXJ VELENOA THOMAS
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
young D corps

I don't expect any to remain with their NHL teams, but if we do lose 1 or 2 for usual reasons - NHL/injury

JARED MCISAAC
IAN MITCHELL
KEVIN BAHL

A strong gold medal contending team...and on home ice...anything short of an appearance in the GMG would be a huge disappointment.

would like to see Lafreniere out-perform some of the 19 year olds and force his way on to the team regardless of what others do with their NHL clubs. He won me over at the U18 tournament...even though the team turned in a disappointing result.

Good list. As others have mentioned, I also see Robert Thomas as an NHL player by December 2018, along with the players you indicated.

This would leave Canada with Bowers, Frost, Hayton, Veleno, and R. Mcleod as possible C options. Not bad, but not as impressive as most years up front.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
my roster:

[TBODY] [/TBODY]
B HAYTON
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
T SMITHE BOUCHARD
R MERKLEYJ WOO
C ADDISON
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
M DIPIETRO
OLIVIER RODRIGUE
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

[TBODY] [/TBODY]
young D corps

JARED MCISAAC
IAN MITCHELL
KEVIN BAHL

I cant see how Lafreniere doesnt make it. Also I cant see Merkley making it this year unless he improves on his defensive side of the game and has a monster d+1 season.

Reactions: bert

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Yeah I think Lafreniere should be a near lock for this team regardless of how the rest of the roster shakes down.

not so long ago Hockey Canada made an annual habit of not taking #1 rated draft eligible players. Lafreniere is a few years away from that. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he doesn't make it.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
not so long ago Hockey Canada made an annual habit of not taking #1 rated draft eligible players. Lafreniere is a few years away from that. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he doesn't make it.
I just personally think he is just flat out to good to not take on the team regardless of age and in the end that will show out. He will be 17 next year and they have taken exceptional 17 year olds before.

Pieck

Dec 13, 2017
BC
Frost - Glass - Tippett
Lafreniere - Rasmussen - Vilardi
Veleno - Thomas - Suzuki
Formenton - Bowers - Comtois
Hayton

Smith - Dobson
Joseph - Bouchard
McIsaac - Woo
Addison

DiPietro
Rodrigue

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Hes already the consensus #1 for 2020. He absolutely carried thaf Rimouski team all year. Barring any severe injury or decline in development I dont see how he doesnt make the World Junior squad.

SpoolCat

Mar 1, 2016
Not pleased. Hunter had the top team in the WHL last year and almost couldn't get out of the first round.

smokingwriter

Apr 21, 2018
The Hockey Canada OBC strikes again.

In 2017, Canada lost a shootout to the Muricans (a game they should have won) and took home silver. In 2018, they won gold. Both years, Canada had relatively unimpressive rosters. But what we did have was a smart, capable coach behind the bench. A coach who was adaptable and made smart in-game decisions; a coach who could communicate with his players and slot them into positions where they could contribute the most. In short, we had the anti-Lowry. So what does Hockey Canada do? Instead of seeking out another cerebral and adaptable coach who knows how to play a puck possession game and who is adept at managing different situations as they arise during the course of a game, the dullards at HC hire a guy who is not perceived as being especially bright, a guy whose chief qualification for the job is that he's a buddy of certain people at Hockey Canada.

Salmond has his pudgy hoof prints all over this one. I hope I'm wrong, but I rarely am when it comes to Hockey Canada malfeasance. Bringing in Hunter is a bad idea. This country should be looking for the closest thing to a Ralph Krueger; rather, they seem to gravitate towards dinosaurs who may play a mean game of golf, but are as dull as dishwater.

Can someone please explain how Salmond has kept his job all these years? I can't think of another sports federation that squanders its resources like Hockey Canada. If these dullards were working for USA Hockey, they'd have all been dismissed years ago (and USA Hockey actually did clean house in the past as part of its efforts to become the best). The bad guys are in it to win it, and Hockey Canada is in it to scam Canadian hockey fans.

terrible decision.

Last edited:

McCoy

Jun 11, 2018
Good list. I made one myself over christmas and had just a few guys that I wrote down that you don't have (even though I know you said it wasn't an exhaustive list). Most are 2000's so probably have a small chance of making it but you never know how guys are going to do becoming an upper year player in the CHL.

LW- Nolan Foote, Gabriel Fortier
RW- Serron Noel, Akil Thomas
C- Ryan McLeod, B-O Groulx
D- David Noel, Jocktan Chainey, Scott Walford, Cameron Crotty
G- David Tendeck

Markus Phillips can't get enough said.

smokingwriter

Apr 21, 2018
my roster:

[TBODY] [/TBODY]
B HAYTON
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
T SMITHE BOUCHARD
R MERKLEYJ WOO
C ADDISON
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
M DIPIETRO
OLIVIER RODRIGUE
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

[TBODY] [/TBODY]
young D corps

JARED MCISAAC
IAN MITCHELL
KEVIN BAHL

We desperately need some more gold medals in the very near future. Nicholson created a culture wherein what mattered most was gouging Canadian hockey fans and filling HC's coffers (got to make sure my buddies get extremely generous bonuses for a job poorly done, after all). But what Side Show Bob never quite figured out is that kids want to be a part of something great and successful; if the culture is all about losing (which we've done an awful lot of over the past decade), then kids will look to other sports (there are other factors at play, of course, but don't underestimate the understandable desire to be a part of something dynamic and glamorous). I don't want to belabor it, but Hockey Canada should have been focusing its efforts on strengthening the grassroots and on strengthening our international standing over the past several years. Instead, they went looking for the easy money and easy pay days. That was the culture Nicholson created, and that's part of the reason why hockey is faltering in this country.

I've worked alongside people like Bob Nicholson - and the two other BC Boys - and those guys are always focused on talking their way into the next job instead of doing well the one they have in front of them. Bob was chiefly interested in pulling the wool over people's eyes and sliding into a nice, lucrative NHL sinecure. Well, we all can see how that's turned out.

"Growing the Game" - just not in Canada.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
With all due respect, if Shane Bowers continues playing like he has been the whole year there's no way he's off the team.

Absolutely not chance he isnt on the team I agree. He is a way better hockey player than Akil Thomas right now its not close at all.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

He is going to be on the team. Lavoie too probably, i expect both those guys to be torching the Q when the team is being selected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad