WJC: Canada 2019 Roster Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Every year since 1994, i have followed Canadian, Swedish, and Russian junior hockey, and i have noticed that Canadian players are getting quicker, but they are always one step behind Swedish and Russian in terms of stick-handling and skating.

Even last few last years, i have noticed that Canadian junior players are even behind American junior players in stick-handling and skating. Darn it!!!, I am begging everyone who is involved in minor hockey, please teach our kids stick-handling and skating. There are tons of resources on YOUTUBE to help kids to run your practices. I am sure there will be more Canadians making to the NHL if you teach them more of skating and skating as the NHL is leaning to skills.

In the last 25 years, the % of Canadian players in NHL are consistently dropping. So, if i do not bring this up, it is a loss for every kid in Canada.

thanks,

..and yet Russia has yet to win anything of substance at the mens level in how long? even at the World Juniors they are sporting a nearly decade long gold drought (2011) this goes for the Swedes too (2012) If Canadian players are "one step behind" them why does Canada win more often and at every level than both of those countries?

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
JacobBernard-Docker has been quite impressive as an 18 year old in the NCAA. I know they don’t take many NCAA players but I don’t see much talk of him, what are his chances?
I thought he looked very strong with Smith in the summer, they will keep that in mind. I personally go off the board and say he makes it.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
..and yet Russia has yet to win anything of substance at the mens level in how long? even at the World Juniors they are sporting a nearly decade long gold drought (2011) this goes for the Swedes too (2012) If Canadian players are "one step behind" them why does Canada win more often and at every level than both of those countries?

Well put, was thinking all the same things when I read that post.

I don't know where these guys come up with stuff like that, Canada is every bit as good in the skating and stick handling departments as any country out there or they wouldn't win as much as they do, it just wouldn't be possible.

Last edited:

wishywashy19

Dec 14, 2011
I'm not worried about this Canadian team, it's a weak age group overall, but if your worried about this team's talent, you should have been worried about last years talent. Steel and Kyrou were our top offensive players, Batherson was 3rd in scoring and he came out of nowhere. Glass is outproducing both Steel and Kyrou. My line-up assuming no players sent down:

Lafreniere-Glass-Tippett
Formenton-Hayton-Suzuki
Foudy-Frost-Leason
Bellerive-Dellandrea-Studnicka
Entwhistle or Ratcliffe

Smith-Bouchard
Joseph-Dobson
Bahl-Mitchell
Brook

Dipietro
Scott

If Vilardi is sent down, makes our team much stronger.

i was really pulling for Veleno and Lavoie last night to step up but i just don;t see any other Q forwards cracking the team. They will have their turn next year along with Groulx and Lafreniere

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Yes. This tournament is notorious for making coaches ride the hot hand.

Lafreniere-Glass-Tippett
Formenton-Hayton-Suzuki

That top 6 is very good. This team is exciting.
What does the rest of your projected lineup look like? Lafreniere is going to be a beast for 2 years in this tournament.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
There is gonna be a battle for it. The good thing is it is a battle between 2 really good goalies.

I think its Dipietros to lose.

Canada hockey loves him because hes been a solier. They even threw him a bone and made him the 3rd string goalie at the World Championship.

WJC is also is in Vancouver and he is a Canuck prospect.

Politics aside hes been absoloutely lights out.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I think its Dipietros to lose.

Canada hockey loves him because hes been a solier. They even threw him a bone and made him the 3rd string goalie at the World Championship.

WJC is also is in Vancouver and he is a Canuck prospect.

Politics aside hes been absoloutely lights out.
I don't doubt that he is probably being penciled in as the number 1 going in but I think Scott is playing well enough and is good enough to be the number one as well. I don't think who he is drafted by in the NHL will be factored in to any decision in any way what so ever though. Having 2 number one quality goalies is never a bad thing though. Let them split the net for the round robin and figure it out from there.

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
I don't doubt that he is probably being penciled in as the number 1 going in but I think Scott is playing well enough and is good enough to be the number one as well. I don't think who he is drafted by in the NHL will be factored in to any decision in any way what so ever though. Having 2 number one quality goalies is never a bad thing though. Let them split the net for the round robin and figure it out from there.

I'm 100% convinced Hockey Canada would put marketing success of a tournament before anything else. If putting in a NHL drafted player to sell a few thousand more ticket packages, they'd do it.

In this case, if DiPietro should be named the #1 starter out of camp, can't really fault Hockey Canada there. Despite Scott having a slightly better statistical year, he didn't really impress at the U18. And on the other side, both DiPietro and Scott were the goalies that came home with a 5th. place finish at the Hlinka tournament with these '99 born players. So, hopefully the "deep thinkers" at Hockey Canada can make the proper evaluations and necessary changes. Hockey Canada, the coaches and the players have their work cut out for them this year.

Last edited:

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I'm 100% convinced Hockey Canada would put marketing success of a tournament before anything else. If putting in a NHL drafted player to sell a few thousand more ticket packages, they'd do it.

In this case, if DiPietro should be named the #1 starter out of camp, can't really fault Hockey Canada there. Despite Scott having a slightly better statistical year, he didn't really impress at the U18. And on the other side, both DiPietro and Scott were the goalies that came home with a 5th. place finish at the Hlinka tournament with these '99 born players. So, hopefully the "deep thinkers" at Hockey Canada can make the proper evaluations and necessary changes. Hockey Canada, the coaches and the players have their work cut out for them this year.
Can you list one occasion that Hockey Canada has ever made a decision or played someone at this tournament based on a business decision or the team they happened to be drafted by?

Reactions: PuckLife

tfantasy

Pirate of Bengal
Jun 1, 2008
Formenton-Hayton-Tippett
Lafreniere-Morand-Lavoie
Frost-Suzuki-Glass
? - ? - ?
?

Dobson-Bouchard
Smith-Joseph
Woo-Phillips
Beaudin

DiPietro
Scott

Reactions: PuckLife

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
McKenzie predicted that Canada will have 4 goalies, 10 defencemen and 18 forwards at camp. This is what I would like to see, though not exactly what I expect Hockey Canada to do:

F: Formenton, Glass, Mattheos, Ratcliffe, Lafreniere, Dach, Veleno, Suzuki, Leason, Hayton, Frost, Tippett, Studnicka, Dellandrea, Akil Thomas, Lavoie, Bowers, Dewar

D: Joseph, Bouchard, Brook, Mitchell, Beaudin, Smith, Dobson, McIsaac, Bernard-Docker, Merkley

G: DiPietro, Scott, Villalta, Gravel

Competition for the bottom centre spots should be pretty fierce. Benefit to guys who have experience on the wing I imagine.

Reactions: kabidjan18

cg98

Oct 10, 2017

DiPietro and Scott shouldnt solely be blamed for the 5th place Hlinka finish. The whole defensive unit that year was meh, and the forwards severely underperformed. Im not too worried about the goaltending duo for this year, and the 99 forward core has improved a lot since then, the defense will have to be carried by the 00s tho.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
Can you list one occasion that Hockey Canada has ever made a decision or played someone at this tournament based on a business decision or the team they happened to be drafted by?
I can't remember who it was but someone loaned an NHLer to the team and based on how he was playing in the tournament he should have been in a bottom six role. However they were only given said player if they promised to use him in a top 6 role. So he kept plugging away in the top 6 as a complete detriment to the team.

It may not be the kind of example you were looking for but Hockey Canada has and will let politics/business influence their decisions.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I can't remember who it was but someone loaned an NHLer to the team and based on how he was playing in the tournament he should have been in a bottom six role. However they were only given said player if they promised to use him in a top 6 role. So he kept plugging away in the top 6 as a complete detriment to the team.

It may not be the kind of example you were looking for but Hockey Canada has and will let politics/business influence their decisions.
Oh I definitely agree that politics are in play with players coming back from the NHL. Virtanen is the first one that comes to mind. Hockey Canada makes promises about roles and play time in order to get the player sent back. I am more so saying that I highly doubt Hockey Canada gives a damn about playing or not playing a Canucks prospect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad