WJC: Canada 2019 Roster Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Veleno isn't generally considered one of the favourites to make the team, but he's someone I will be keeping an eye on. He had a really good camp for Detroit and will be playing for a strong Drummondville team. Has a good relationship with Hockey Canada, even captaining the last Hlinka team. For me he's the favourite for the fourth centre spot, and potentially higher up the lineup depending on who is missing.

JeffForsberg21

Jul 11, 2004
Quebec
This thread needs more Cale Makar! I think he’ll be Canada’s best player and one of the best players in the tourney. Is there something I’m missing why he wouldn’t be on the team?

Please look at the player's eligibility before suggesting someone, not specific to you but in general first someone throws Matthew Phillips now Makar.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
You think both will actually stick for the full year? Bouchard would be a pretty big hit Mcleod I am not sure would make the team anyways or atleast would be fitting for it.

I meant as in they will be on the Canada roster, not the Oilers roster. They wont stick in the NHL not this year imo.

Reactions: 99664987

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Veleno isn't generally considered one of the favourites to make the team, but he's someone I will be keeping an eye on. He had a really good camp for Detroit and will be playing for a strong Drummondville team. Has a good relationship with Hockey Canada, even captaining the last Hlinka team. For me he's the favourite for the fourth centre spot, and potentially higher up the lineup depending on who is missing.

I didnt want to bring him up yet because I'm a Detroit fan and was going to wait to see how he does for a few games in junior but after the camp hes had, I expect him to make some noise this year. He was probably Detroits best young prospect in camp including guys like Zadina, Rasmussen and Svechnikov. He plays the type of versatile game Canada sometimes brings in he bottom 6. He can score well enough to play in the top 6 if theres injuries but can also play a typical 4th line center role with speed to burn and a hisrory with Canada.

I think if he has the type of production to start the year like he did with his time in Drummondville last year then he'll make it. This is also partilly because I see a few guys sticking in the NHL though

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Canada's got Ty Smith, Dobson and Bouchard. I feel very comfortable with my country defending gold.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
I feel very comfortable saying the Swedes will cry foul when we beat them.

What's it gonna be this time I wonder? the rinks?the refs? Canada are bad guys?
I’m fairly confident at this point that Sweden could score 50 goals and allow none heading into the gold medal game, go up 3-0 in the first period, and still lose to Denmark.

Reactions: jj cale

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Isnt isnt lafreniee 16?
1999: 19
2000: 18
2001: 17
2002: 16

That's how everything is applied by IIHF rules for the 2018/19 season. As always there will be people 18 at the U-18's, due to players born between January 1st and the start of the tournament.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Canadas D-Core hopes looks to be restored with Smith and Dobson being sent back to juniors.

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
By my count, we have 8 potential players that look like they’re about to break camp with their NHL clubs:

Robert Thomas
Maxime Comtois
Alex Formenton
Michael Rasmussen
Gabriel Vilardi (injured)
Jaret Anderson-Dolan
Barrett Hayton (injured)
Evan Bouchard

I suspect one or two of these guys will be returned after the 9 game mark, but the roster will certainly take a hit again this year.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
By my count, we have 8 potential players that look like they’re about to break camp with their NHL clubs:

Robert Thomas
Maxime Comtois
Alex Formenton
Michael Rasmussen
Gabriel Vilardi (injured)
Jaret Anderson-Dolan
Barrett Hayton (injured)
Evan Bouchard

I suspect one or two of these guys will be returned after the 9 game mark, but the roster will certainly take a hit again this year.

to lose our only 3 returnees + #1 D-man will be a big hit. I was expecting to lose about 4 or 5 to the NHL, but Thomas, Formenton and Bouchard were not among them. So...ouch.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
It will be interesting to see who is available and who isn't. I think that at least Hayton is bound for junior once he is healthy again. Vilardi's situation is pretty interesting with his back issues flaring up again. He's a guy that could probably use more games and playing time but I can see the Kings wanting to monitor his health up close as well.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Veleno should make this team He's not going to light up the scoreboard but he plays a pro-style and will be very effective at this tournament.

He captained the U-18 team (Hlinka) in years past as well. I'd be shocked if he wasn't on this squad.

Reactions: 99664987

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
reevaluating a little bit from yesterday, I think we're still in decent enough shape. The few players I did not expect to stick with their NHL teams is offset by a pair of players (Glass and Tippet) I thought would not be returned to junior. And those 2 are, in my opinion, significantly better players than the ones still with their NHL teams. So, if we get 1 or 2 of theses forwards (Comtois, Thomas, Formenten Rasmussen, Vilardi and Anderson-Dolan) it's not all that bad. My preference would be 1 or 2 of the returning players. This team is probably going to trend young, so, a returning player or 2 would be nice for the experience factor.

Losing Bouchard is, however, a big hit. I think ultimately Bouchard gets sent back after 9 games. but you never know.

Reactions: newfy and 99664987

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
What are the odds of Josh Brooks making next year's team?

I think he makes it, seeing how his coach is Team Canada's coach, he knows what he can do better then other players. If he keeps putting up points he'll be close to a lock. Last year he had that wrist injury and he said he felt he came back too soon which is why he didn't shoot that much. Now that he's 100%, he should put up some big numbers even though MJ lost all that firepower from last season. Although I suspect he'll be traded to a team that is gunning for the WHL cham/Memorial Cup run.

BrettM

Oct 3, 2017
It's generally around this time of year that I disclose some darkhorse candidates from the Western Hockey League who I feel could factor in.

Kirby Dach(Saskatoon)- Young at 2001 but there aren't many more polished puck control. Even at seventeen, once the puck is on Kirby's stick, even premier nineteen year old defenceman have difficulty getting it off him.

Leif Mattson(Kelowna) skating is exceptional. I clamour over with how aggressively he plays, a poor man's Carl Hagelin.

Ethan Cap(Edmonton) While Matt Robertson garners the majority of the headlines on the Oil Kings backend, you frankly won't see a better first pass throughout the Western Hockey League. No cap on his potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad