WJC: Canada 2019 Roster Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
This is Button's roster. I like his forwards but not his defencemen. McKenzie's rosters are typically more interesting because he is generally a lot closer to what Hockey Canada ends up doing.

https://www.tsn.ca/alexis-on-fire-lafreniere-should-be-an-impact-player-at-world-juniors-1.1157599

Ya, I always have issues with Button...but not important.

let's get this season started already. 2 weeks to go before OHL pre-season games. I think the Q gets going soon.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Lafreniere seems like he is good enough to make the team but I expect that he will have an uphill battle. Hockey Canada tends to care about draft year for these players for some reason. Even Tavares barely made the team and was sparingly used when he was in the same situation as Lafreniere will be this year.
I don't think they are going to be able to keep him off, kids legit.

Reactions: Wings4Life

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
He will make the team, despite his young age. He will force their hand with his early season play if he's not on their shortlist already.
Slaters right in that if they bring him they will use him sparingly but i am starting to get a real good feeling about this kid, I think his play will also force them to end up giving him meaningful minutes a few games in.

He's real impressive.

Reactions: snipes

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Man, this team could set a record for guys we could lose to the pros this year.

Glass,Rasmussen,Suzuki,Tippett,Vilardi,Formenton,Thomas, even Bouchard might stick in edmonton.

I would really only consider Suzuki safe, the rest could easily stick with the big club all year.

No one gets hit like Canada.

Last edited:
Reactions: cg98 and 99664987

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

Glass,Rasmussen,Suzuki,Tippett,Vilardi,Formenton,Thomas, even Bouchard might stick in edmonton.

I would really only consider Suzuki safe, the rest could easily stick with the big club all year.

The record is more than 20, so it would be very shocking. I expect roughly four to not be available.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
ya, that's what I'd like to know. I can't remember since I started watching this tournament (1986) that an entire team of 18 and 19 year olds where in the NHL and not available.
Me neither, i'm dying to find out now.

Anyway, it looks like we can't even count on a guy like Rasmussen being available, I have been reading the detroit board and most fans seem to think he will be on the wings all year long. Guys like Thomas and Glass I think we can pretty much forget about, probably Vilardi too but when you can't even get a prospect like rasmussen you know you are in deep shit.

I mean the U.S will MAYBE not have Tzachuk available, that's it!!

Gonna be tough.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheGoldenJet

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
^ if your nightmare scenario unfolds and we miss all those you mention + Comtois. my guess is he not likely to be there in December. 9 players. what are we left with? something like this. I left Veleno off. not really his biggest fan, but others will take him over Akil Thomas.

A FORMENTONB HAYTONR MCLEOD
ALEXIS LAFRENIÈRES BOWERSR LAVOIRE
ISAAC RATCLIFFS MATTHEOSS NOEL
J.A. DOLANJ STUDNICKAT DELLANDREA
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
A THOMAS
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
NHL/IR:
TY SMITHN DOBSON
PIERRE-OLIVIER JOSEPHIAN MITCHELL
NICOLAS BEAUDINJ BERNARD-DOCKER
JARED MCISAAC
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
M DIPIETRO
OLIVIER RODRIGUE
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
^ if your nightmare scenario unfolds and we miss all those you mention + Comtois. my guess is he not likely to be there in December. 9 players. what are we left with? something like this. I left Veleno off. not really his biggest fan, but others will take him over Akil Thomas.

[TBODY] [/TBODY]
A THOMAS
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
NHL/IR:
TY SMITHN DOBSON
JARED MCISAAC
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
M DIPIETRO
OLIVIER RODRIGUE
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
And that's likely just not gonna be good enough, Bronze maybe and silver if all things line up.sweden and the u.s would seem to be the biggest obstacles. Sweden would have more talent but we always have a shot to beat them even under these conditions with a watered down roster because we are in their heads so much and they are mentally weak but beating the U.S with that roster would require some luck,great goaltending and a fantastic game plan grinded out to a T.

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Wow, did all those guys graduate to the n.h.l that season?

Some of them, Yzerman for instance, were second year players. I don't care to go through each player but the record for most players missing the WJC in one year while being rookies is 10 or higher.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Some of them, Yzerman for instance, were second year players. I don't care to go through each player but the record for most players missing the WJC in one year while being rookies is 10 or higher.
Well then this year won't beat that I guess. What we will miss is gonna sure hurt though. We may very well not have all those guys I listed, not good.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia

September 1. I smell hockey season in the air.

All we smelled was smoke here in the okanagan this summer, I'm with you, I am ready to toss summer and get the hockey season underway. Can't wait for the WJC and as bad as they will be my beloved Habs will be first and foremost on my radar all year, this is the year to get that number one overall pick and get a franchise centre so there is excitement in that, may the tank be on!!

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
tumbleweeds blowing through this thread. I expected a little bit more traffic.

Anyway, ready to get the season started.

Has Nick Suzuki's status NHL/OHL now changed as a result of the trade to MTL? I'm surprised he's even at London Knights camp at not at NHL rookie development camp. Is he expected to show up at MTL's rookie/main camp? I didn't have him pegged for making an NHL team this year, but who knows what a MTL GM whose job is on the line will do.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009

He has looked good ,but we do have alot of LW prospects ahead of him...So its more than likely he goes back to junior and plays for Canada at the WJC

Reactions: jj cale
Aug 25, 2009
éal

Has Nick Suzuki's status NHL/OHL now changed as a result of the trade to MTL? I'm surprised he's even at London Knights camp at not at NHL rookie development camp. Is he expected to show up at MTL's rookie/main camp? I didn't have him pegged for making an NHL team this year, but who knows what a MTL GM whose job is on the line will do.
I think Bergevin might give Suzuki a 9 games tryout to show out his brand new toy but it's unlikely he sticks around. Kind of like what we did with Sergachev, I guess.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

[TBODY] [/TBODY]
A THOMAS
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
NHL/IR:
TY SMITHN DOBSON
JARED MCISAAC
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
M DIPIETRO
OLIVIER RODRIGUE
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Morgan Frost will also be on the team, unless he defies the odds and makes the Flyers out of camp. That should help.

MasterMatt25

Nov 19, 2014
Montreal

Isn't Suzuki with Owen Sound?

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Morgan Frost will also be on the team, unless he defies the odds and makes the Flyers out of camp. That should help.

I dont think Frost is a lock right now depsite his production. He didnt really stand out in camp and Hunter specifically mentioned that he wanted to see him do more in different roles that he was given. If a few scorers go to the NHL his chances obviously get better but if not he'll be in a battle

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I dont think Frost is a lock right now depsite his production. He didnt really stand out in camp and Hunter specifically mentioned that he wanted to see him do more in different roles that he was given. If a few scorers go to the NHL his chances obviously get better but if not he'll be in a battle

That wouldnt be the first mistake in recent years by Team Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad