WJC: Canada 2019 Roster Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
The Canadians went undefeated in the Summer Camp. I know it doesn't mean much, but it does look good for the upcoming WJC. Especially the last game, it wasn't a very good team and we beat a real good American team.

Foudy-Glass-Tippett
Comtois-Vilardi-Lavoie
Studnicka-Suzuki-Dellandrea
Bowers-Hayton-Entwhistle
Noel

Smith-Bernard-Docker
McIssac-Dobson
Brook-Bouchard
Woo

DiPietro
Villalta

NHL: Thomas, Rasmussen, Formenton.

Kind of a worst-case scenario, I highly doubt Glass, Tippett, or Vilardi make their NHL line-up. Thomas is 99% for me, Formenton is a 65%, Rasmussen is a 50%.

I think this Canadian squad, regardless of who is selected will be similar to the last group. They got a lot of size and speed, they can create 4 lines that will keep the other teams pinned in their own zone with speed and size. They'll still have high-end skilled players like Glass, Tippett, Vilardi, Suzuki, Hayton, similarly to Kyrou, Steel, Dube, Raddysh, and Thomas.

Also, the new head scout of HC, Brad McEwen is a sharp guy, the Hlinka team looks great, 2018 WJC team looked great, this Summer Camp squad looked fantastic.

I'm assuming you forgot Morgan Frost.

Reactions: 99664987

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
I think I'd be a bit worried about Foudy in a key scoring role. An offensive LWer spot seems right there for the taking, and I have a feeling by the selection camp that Lafreniere will get that spot. We don't really have anyone on the wings who has flashed elite scoring ability yet outside of Tippett. Now, Rasmussen coming back would alter that, as he would be a good fit as our first line LWer given the depth up the middle. Or they could move Hayton to LW and either move Bowers

I'm not sure Thomas is a 99% to be an NHLer, or at least to the extent he is competely out of the picture. Blues tend to be patient and they don't have a top 9 center spot for him. There's a chance he gets trapped in middle ground and loaned out to us. Could see the same Pietriangelo playbook of, 9 NHL games, AHL loan, shortly back to the OHL then camp. Or just straight from the AHL to camp.
I think Foudy has more skill than you give him credit for. He's obviously fast, but he's physically strong as well and I don't see why that wouldn't mesh well with guys like Glass and Tippett who aren't that quick or gritty.

I think Thomas will get a spot on the 4th line or at least on the wing to start the season. That's all he'll need because I believe he'll impress the Blues enough to stay on the team one way or another.

I'm assuming you forgot Morgan Frost.
No I didn't. Don't see what he has over the guys I put on my team. Doesn't stand out physically and I didn't see high-end skill.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
No I didn't. Don't see what he has over the guys I put on my team. Doesn't stand out physically and I didn't see high-end skill.

You didn't see high end skill in a couple games in August or never? If never, then I'm not sure what to tell you.

Doesn't stand out physically? He did test out as best in "30m forward skate" and "30m forward skate with puck" at the Top Prospect game combine if that means anything. His skating seems pretty legit to me. Also, at a quick glance I see 6 tests at the NHL combine where he finished top 10. So, it seems he does stand out physically.

2017 NHL Combine results: Top 10 at each drill - Sportsnet.ca

Here is an article comparing him to quite a few of the guys you value more.

Morgan Frost vs. 2017 NHL Draft 1st Round CHL Forwards

I don't know. You're obviously welcome to disagree, but he seems like a pretty easy pick to me. His raw even strength scoring totals alone in the past 2 seasons should be enough to get him on the team. Not to mention his smarts and defense at center.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
You didn't see high end skill in a couple games in August or never? If never, then I'm not sure what to tell you.

Doesn't stand out physically? He did test out as best in "30m forward skate" and "30m forward skate with puck" at the Top Prospect game combine if that means anything. His skating seems pretty legit to me. Also, at a quick glance I see 6 tests at the NHL combine where he finished top 10. So, it seems he does stand out physically.

2017 NHL Combine results: Top 10 at each drill - Sportsnet.ca

Here is an article comparing him to quite a few of the guys you value more.

Morgan Frost vs. 2017 NHL Draft 1st Round CHL Forwards

I don't know. You're obviously welcome to disagree, but he seems like a pretty easy pick to me. His raw even strength scoring totals alone in the past 2 seasons should be enough to get him on the team. Not to mention his smarts and defense at center.
When I watched him at the Summer Showcase, I didn’t see any of the skill or speed I saw at the OHL level. Maybe the competition was making him unnoticable.

I know what type of player he got drafted as and how he plays in the OHL. He’s a speedy skilled centre with good playmaking ability, but he played like a grinder at the Summer Showcase and I think if he’s going to play like that, we have better options on the 4th line.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I'm curious to see how Formenton (and Comtois) are used. Canada sometimes thrusts returning depth guys into scoring roles and staples them there. It will be interesting to see how well they play to start off their respective seasons.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I'm curious to see how Formenton (and Comtois) are used. Canada sometimes thrusts returning depth guys into scoring roles and staples them there. It will be interesting to see how well they play to start off their respective seasons.

In my dream team (all players available) Comtois is 1st. line LW on Dec. 26.

Let's just assume all will be available...and I'm not in favor of stapling players to roles when it's not working, but since both are LWers, do you see another option there?

Tibbett? He can play LW/RW, but I'd prefer him RW.

2nd. line Rasmussen/Frost C/LW. flip a coin as to who is the center and who lines up on the wing.

3rd. line Formenton LW.

summer vacay ends this Sunday...looking forward to getting back into hockey season.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

Let's just assume all will be available...and I'm not in favor of stapling players to roles when it's not working, but since both are LWers, do you see another option there?

2nd. line Rasmussen/Frost C/LW. flip a coin as to who is the center and who lines up on the wing.

3rd. line Formenton LW.

summer vacay ends this Sunday...looking forward to getting back into hockey season.

Summer vacation only begins today. Canada's left side at forward is weaker. I would give Comtois a shot there given how well he played following the WJC last year. Most of Canada's convertible centres (Glass, Suzuki, Vilardi) play on the right when they are on the wing so there is quite an imbalance... maybe Hayton can play LW. I don't like Groulx. I will reserve judgement until a few weeks into the CHL season. Right now the player I am highest on is Dobson.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

3rd. line Formenton LW.

Comtois getting scoring line mins might stop him from running around too much and taking penalties too. If he embraces the scoring aspect (which hes good enough to do) instead of feeling like a dog getting let loose on the 4th line he might settle down a bit, but still provide some grit in the top 6 too

redg

Aug 4, 2018

3rd. line Formenton LW.

I don't see why Formenton has to be relegated to the 3rd line. He's a returnee and he's shown in the showcase to be one of the best players out there for this team. He was much better than Frost (who was his linemate) in the showcase. I mean it's only summer games but he will definitely compete for top 6 minutes imo.

Also as a sens fan I'm fairly certain he's gonna be in London so he'll be available for the WJC.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I don't see why Formenton has to be relegated to the 3rd line. He's a returnee and he's shown in the showcase to be one of the best players out there for this team. He was much better than Frost (who was his linemate) in the showcase. I mean it's only summer games but he will definitely compete for top 6 minutes imo.

Also as a sens fan I'm fairly certain he's gonna be in London so he'll be available for the WJC.

I don't put too much stock in a player's returnee status, or a few games in a summer exhibition camp. much more important to evaluate players on their junior careers in total. On that I'd rate both Frost/Rasmussen ahead of Formenton for now. but if he out performs both players leading up to December camp and in camp, then goody for us.

and playing 3rd.line LW for Canada's National Junior team is hardly being relegated.

Can't wait to kick off the season. I've had enough of summer.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
As for defense... I'll throw a youngster like Barron IMO

This year with every single D being able to return next year basically (except Bouchard I believe), I'm not sure they take a guy that young. If it was a year like when they had guys like Pietrangelo and Ellis returning with a bunch of high draft picks I could see them taking that risk. But without a veteran line up I'm not sure they gamble with a guy that young.

Would Barron really be in contention for a young guy over Byram either?

Reactions: 99664987

Wackster

Apr 5, 2017
Quebec city
I'm not a fan of Byram. I watched him during the Hlinka and saw him make some bonehead plays. He is really talentive but he tends to keep the puck in difficult situation so I'm not a fan of is hockey IQ. Barron was way more impressive IMO. I found Barron was playing a bit like a young Ryan Ellis who was taken as an underager, I'm probably wrong but I don't think this is going to be a great year for Canada in WJC so why not take some chance on some young player...

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Welcome to the 2019 World Junior Championship team, Alexis Lafreniere.

I don't see how, barring injuries, Lafrenière doesn't make this team as a 17 y old this winter.

Nothing against Comtois, Studnicka, Foudy, Enthwistle, etc... But who do you want on your PP trailing by one goal in the late third period in the gold medal game?

Gimme the 16 y old guy that dominated 2019 eligible picks as a Hlinka MVP and scored 42 goals in 60 games in the Q.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I don't see how, barring injuries, Lafrenière doesn't make this team as a 17 y old this winter.

Nothing against Comtois, Studnicka, Foudy, Enthwistle, etc... But who do you want on your PP trailing by one goal in the late third period in the gold medal game?

Gimme the 16 y old guy that dominated 2019 eligible picks as a Hlinka MVP and scored 42 goals in 60 games in the Q.

I could see him being a goal a game player this season in the Q after 42 in 60 last year. I dont think Entwhistle will sniff the team honestly, but evena guy like Foudy it would be a big step to go a point a game this year. Lafrenniere is a no brainer if these guys are your other options offensively. Hes going a goal a game while theyll be right around a point a game (excluding Comtois)

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Lafreniere seems like he is good enough to make the team but I expect that he will have an uphill battle. Hockey Canada tends to care about draft year for these players for some reason. Even Tavares barely made the team and was sparingly used when he was in the same situation as Lafreniere will be this year.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Lafreniere seems like he is good enough to make the team but I expect that he will have an uphill battle. Hockey Canada tends to care about draft year for these players for some reason. Even Tavares barely made the team and was sparingly used when he was in the same situation as Lafreniere will be this year.

and for this reason I can see HC leaving him at home. Shame.

I hope he does make it, lights it up and has a better tournament than Nate MacKinnon did as a 17 year old in Ufa. If HC takes 17 year olds , they usually don't put the player in a position to succeed. 4th. line checker/13th. forward type of role.
I like what I've seen so far from this new chief scout...so, maybe there's a new mindset at HC HQ.

We'll only have him for 2 tournaments at most...and it would be nice taking to Europe in 2020 as a returnee that level of prospect who would be in the NHL and unavailable if he had been born a few weeks earlier.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Just saw TSN came out with their projected roster and so did the hockey writers. Cant link now but if anyone wants to look at them check their websites

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad