Canada’s team?

Will Habs get any support from across the nation?

• Total voters

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Curious to see, especially with the North division this year, if the rivalries formed will negate the usual nationwide cheer for a team’s playoff run.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
We have the most Canadian players out of any playoff team. We won the North Division. We are Canada's team!

Is that true? The most Canadian players? Anybody got a count from each team?

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Reactions: Canadienna

99GoHabsGo99

MontrealCanadiens200
Oct 6, 2009
Charlottetown,PE
www.youtube.com
We have and always will be Canada's team.

The leafs are Canada's media team, But who in their right mind would actually pick a franchise so pathetic to be Canada's team.. 18 years without 1 single playoff win :laugh:

54 years since last winning a cup.. Jesus.. You can be a 53 year old die hard leaf fan and have never seen a cup.. Hilarious :laugh::laugh:

WE ARE THE NORTH...
KINGS OF THE NORTH....

CANADA'S TEAM

E3VBmfJWUAQrTPB

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Curious to see, especially with the North division this year, if the rivalries formed will negate the usual nationwide cheer for a team’s playoff run.

No.

This isn't international play, and I don't think most fan bases will root for us simply because of Canada. Some will, sure, but walk down my street and ask my neigbours if they'll root for the Canadiens and they'll probably chase you down with fire and pitch forks.

Also, almost everyone hates us so that factors into it.

An exception might be made even with hardcore fans. For example, it's possible a Leafs superfan may actually cheer us on if we play Boston but that's only because they may hate Boston more so it's more cheering against Boston than for Montreal.

If situations are reversed, I wouldn't be rooting for Toronto, UNLESS they were playing the Bruins.

Anyhow, you'll have some fans rooting for Montreal as a Canadian rep, but the majority I'm sure will not. I mean, I can just go into any of the other North division boards and probably within 3 or 4 posts, I'll see F*** the Habs or cursing us in some other way.

Maybe it's me. It's cool sure if we win a cup for Canada, but even I'm not thinking of that. I'm not even thinking win for Montreal. I'm thinking win for the Canadiens.

JoelWarlord

Ex-Noob616
May 7, 2012
Halifax
Casual fans who only watch the Olympics and maybe the gold medal game of the World Juniors along with the odd cup finals game will probably cheer for the Habs as "Canada's Team" but otherwise I don't think so. We might get a "I hate them less" level of support depending on matchups. I've also seen some jokerfied Canucks fans who are reveling in rubbing their GM's nose in Toffoli's success but otherwise don't think it'll be much beyond casuals.

I wouldn't be cheering for any other Canadian team in the playoffs unless maybe they were playing Boston, and I wouldn't expect anyone to cheer for us. I think the drought has just gone on too long now, you can't cheer for another team to break the cup drought because you'll never hear the end of it.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
Casual fans who only watch the Olympics and maybe the gold medal game of the World Juniors along with the odd cup finals game will probably cheer for the Habs as "Canada's Team" but otherwise I don't think so. We might get a "I hate them less" level of support depending on matchups. I've also seen some jokerfied Canucks fans who are reveling in rubbing their GM's nose in Toffoli's success but otherwise don't think it'll be much beyond casuals.

I wouldn't be cheering for any other Canadian team in the playoffs unless maybe they were playing Boston, and I wouldn't expect anyone to cheer for us. I think the drought has just gone on too long now, you can't cheer for another team to break the cup drought because you'll never hear the end of it.

I don't think it's just casuals, I actually think it's most fans who aren't on this site. I know a bunch of Leafs fans who you would never call casuals but they're all grudgingly cheering on the Habs.

I think this site has even more intra-canadian hate than in the public, and it skews our perceptions a bit.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
We have and always will be Canada's team.

The leafs are Canada's media team, But who in their right mind would actually pick a franchise so pathetic to be Canada's team.. 18 years without 1 single playoff win :laugh:

54 years since last winning a cup.. Jesus.. You can be a 53 year old die hard leaf fan and have never seen a cup.. Hilarious :laugh::laugh:

WE ARE THE NORTH...
KINGS OF THE NORTH....

CANADA'S TEAM

E3VBmfJWUAQrTPB
Awesome!!!!
Well said!!!

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Who cares what the losers in other provinces (and Quebec city) think?? This is for Montreal.

Huh? I think you have it confused and how very little of the fanbase is in Montreal., the majority is outside.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Yeah, that was an odd statement considering Molson seems to have no problem taking my money.

Guess we shouldnt have any players on the team not born and raised within spitting distance of the Forum.

NicRattlehead

Mar 5, 2021
Houston, TX
I’m an American (that actually likes some of the other Canadian teams) but I would never cheer for a rival. Period. I don’t know if Vancouver or Edmonton would feel this way about Montreal but I don’t see the Jets, Sens, or Leafs cheering for us and I don’t think they should either. It’s always fun to root against rivals. Almost as good as your team winning but I’m not a Canadian either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad