Speculation: Can you see TOR trading for a winger this season?

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Is it even possible? I think it is.

Now that TOR might be forced to move Nylander the rest of the team doesn't seem that deep anymore.

Marleau has had a great career, but recently he's had his off nights where he's a step behind and not as effective.

Kapanen has shown some life early on, but still doesn't have the finishing skills that other top 6 wingers possess. He's playing well enough to be in the top 6 and his speed does help TOR out.

Marner has been excellent.

Hyman is a mucker / grinder, but his hands and playmaking are not great. I do see his positives and our puck retrieval isn't there without him.

Brown is on, but not great. He has been pretty inconsistent.

Johnsson has had a slow start and looks like he'll never be good enough to see a top 6 role. He has been relegated to the 4th line for a long stretch and he's really not a good 4th liner.

Leivo is playing better this season, but still not great. Seems to have a lot of tools, but can't put them together well. Passes when he should shoot and shoots when he should have passed the puck. A lot of marginal NHLers are like this.

So with the great potential that Nylander plays elsewhere, do we actually need to acquire a winger?

Reactions: zaqq

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
Tough to say for this year.

The next crop of marlies may have a few gems though. I’m kinda stuck on Grundstrom....really think he’ll be a beauty.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
They need a top 6 winger that will hit and help Matthews. That’s an absolute must. It would be nice to add another hard nosed player or two in the bottom 6 as well.

Can they get them with an inseason trade or do they need to wait until the draft?

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
At this point if we get back a 2nd pairing D and a second line winger, preferably left wing, (both with a combined cap hit of 6M max next year) I’ll be happy with it.

Traded Winger - Matthews - Kapanen
Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Marleau - Kadri - Brown
Johnsson - Lindholm - Leivo

Rielly - traded D
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Hainsey/Oz

I’m happy with that, maybe even makes the team better, who knows.

Hclass47

Apr 28, 2018
Are there any young dynamic high end left wingers available through trade?

BTP

Apr 28, 2013
i dont know, but they have to if this kid doesnt sign.

ITM

As Long As It Takes
Jan 26, 2012
Are there any young dynamic high end left wingers available through trade?

I think it's too early to call Michael Ferland "dynamic" and "high end", but he fits the mold of a LW that our club could use. The cost however...

On the right side, Josh Anderson was a name that (iirc) was named on a Hotstove (or whatever it's called now) segment that the Leafs were kicking tires on...

I think if Philadelphia were a trading partner, Oskar Lindblom appears to have a great work ethic and also fits our needs. The cost however...

So, playing Dubas for a moment, I might consider the following for Nylander:

To Toronto: Michael Ferland + Brett Pesce + 2019 CAR 1st*
To Toronto: Josh Anderson + Markus Nutivaara (sp?) + 2019 CBJ 1st*
To Toronto: Oskar Lindblom + Philippe Myers + Morgan Frost*

*With respect to criticism of valuation...I'm a Leafs fan, I don't want to trade Nylander, I'm not about to seek fair value for another club in negotiation for assets towards bettering our club.

Purposing not to trade Nylander, I think Anderson might be an option, but the closer we get to the trade deadline is likely to reveal pieces we might not be hearing much about at the moment. Players like Jakob Silfverberg maybe?

ITM

As Long As It Takes
Jan 26, 2012
Bread Man.

Would love to be proven wrong but I don't think he's interested in taking a penny less to play anywhere. Great player, we don't need additional entanglements, especially now that Kapanen is playing up to potential.

If it's Columbus, let's target Josh Anderson.

Reactions: Helsinki Hurricanes

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
Would love to be proven wrong but I don't think he's interested in taking a penny less to play anywhere. Great player, we don't need additional entanglements, especially now that Kapanen is playing up to potential.

If it's Columbus, let's target Josh Anderson.
1 year playoff rental. Won't cost much as CBJ knows he's gone.

ITM

As Long As It Takes
Jan 26, 2012
1 year playoff rental. Won't cost much as CBJ knows he's gone.

So is Erik Karlsson potentially...News reports still won't confirm why Doug Wilson's limped ever since the deal and why his right hand looks strangely artificial.

This to say, Panarin is going to cost some team an arm and a leg and I don't think it should be us...not yet. Not until we've made some moves first for help on the back end.

Leafin

Apr 2, 2009
If it came down to it i would hope we trade Nylander in a 1 for 1 deal for a defender. The caveat obviously being the defender is a stud. Nevermind getting secondary pieces back that may or may not work out.

At that point maybe you sign Rick Nash for the rest of the season? He'd be cheap and if healthy could be a decent addition.

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
I'd also sign nash if he's able to return. I'd also take a look at Kreider and Wayne simmonds should they become available. I've mentioned Ryan Reaves several times for the 4th line aswell.

We need to limit the 3 of Leivo, Ennis and Johnsson playing every game to just 1 of them. I prefer Johnsson, as I feel Leivo is not very good.

We definitiey need D, but its becoming clear that we need some gritty forwards aswell.

Melo Meds

Jul 30, 2018
Like someone above said why not just wait to get a good look at some guys in the Marlies? Guys like Engvall and Grundstrom among others have been productive and look like future NHLers. I really liked Engvall in preason specifically.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I could see us going with what we have. If we could package Nylander and one d we could add a significant d. The deal has to be there of course.

Too soon for the Canes to trade Hamilton.?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad