Can you believe we have 3 Cups in this era?

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
I met him on an elevator before game 5 of the 08 finals. Told him we just made it in from Pittsburgh and we were ready to watch them kick butt that night. He said I better hear you cheering from your seats. Well I think they did because we had people on the opposite side of the arena saying they could hear us. Saw him a summer or two later down at the Cheesecake Factory as I was leaving from my shift. We made eye contact and it seemed like he recognized me but I just got off a 10 hour shift and his lady friend was a knock out so I didn't say anything. :laugh:
Yea, he lived just a block or two off of East Carson Street. So if you ever spent enough time in South Side you were bound to run into him when he was a Penguin. I saw him a few times, 3-4, along with some other Penguins. But the only time I had an actual encounter with him, or any of the Penguins in that part of the city, was that time I described. You could tell an evening hanging out with him would be HIGHLY eventful and memorable. :laugh:

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
I got really spoiled after that first Cup win thinking it would an annual trip to the Finals. Years later there was so much talk of it being a disappointment that the Crosby/Malkin era have only won one Cup and it was frustrating that they didn't even get back to the Finals at least. So many things from poor coaching, injuries, and underachievement in the postseason and I had a tough time wondering if they would get multiple Cups. Especially watching the brutal Mike Johnston period where he successfully turned an exciting team into a very boring one. Watching his constant clueless expressions on the bench led much doubt that the Pens would ever have any postseason success. Thankfully Sully came in turned this team around. There was no doubt in '16 that I thought the Pens would get that elusive second Cup in the C/M era.

They were going to be contenders for a while but to go back to back was more than I could ever dream of. The way they battled and clawed that postseason was impressive. To have three Cups cements their legacy as all time greats.

I read crap like the Pens had the easiest road to their two Cups and shit like that from clowns trying to downplay what they have accomplished. Give me a freaking break. I don't care who they faced going back to back is a hell of an accomplishment as evidence by them being the only team in the cap area to accomplish it. I'm selfish and like everyone else want more but to witness three in a decade is truly special.

My favorite player other than Sid and Geno is Phil The Thrill.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
Yes and no. After making in to back to back finals so quickly, I had a lot of faith in the Pens winning multiple championships. Then each season chipped away at that confidence to the point I thought Crosby and Malkin would retire with just a single cup. Now, I don't take anything for granted and I'm just enjoying the ride.

Reactions: billybudd

Tweed

Jun 25, 2006
1. Dream: Sid+Geno > Oilers Dynasty, Realistic: 1 Cup

2. Expectations lead to disappointment. Take nothing for granted. Enjoy the show.

3. Probably Fleury when you factor in duration... but I've had moments where I've been high on other guys for certain things this era. Really loved Ruuttu, Roberts, Talbot, Duper, Gonch, Cookie, and Shorty for stretches.

Aside from all the juggernauts I've enjoyed, I'll always a special fondness for 2006-2008 group, they were just so young, goofy, free-spirited, full of character and looked like they were having so much fun. Ownership was doing some really great things for the fanbase, and things were really looking up. I enjoyed that soooo much.

1920teamphotoicedl5.jpg

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I agree with posters saying that before 2010, I expected 3 or 4. After 2014 I wasn’t sure another one was in the cards, and things looked really damn bleak before the Kessel deal.

Then the weird euchatastrophy occurred where everything became awesome at once, even the damn uniforms became what everyone wanted- and now we’re riding the gravy train where I can fantasize about trading everyone away for Erik Karlsson.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I agree with posters saying that before 2010, I expected 3 or 4. After 2014 I wasn’t sure another one was in the cards, and things looked really damn bleak before the Kessel deal.

Then the weird euchatastrophy occurred where everything became awesome at once, even the damn uniforms became what everyone wanted- and now we’re riding the gravy train where I can fantasize about trading everyone away for Erik Karlsson.

This is one of the best developments over the last couple years. Like, comparable to the actual Cup wins.

Vegas gold was barftastic and the original colours just look so, so good.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Here is to 2 more cups for the Crosby/Malkin era. 5 would be awesome! especially when you have Mario getting only 2.

only 2, what a bum.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
This is one of the best developments over the last couple years. Like, comparable to the actual Cup wins.

Vegas gold was barftastic and the original colours just look so, so good.

Going from the edge templates to what they wore in 17 was just glorious.

Reactions: Warm Cookies

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
It’s good. Add in another finals appearance, a semifinals appearance, and this past season being defeated by the eventual Cup winner, this team’s been extremely competitive with the current core despite what seemed like some real rough times between 09 and 2016.

Reactions: SirBrad and BHD

MartinS82

May 26, 2016
Been a Pens fan for a long time, I have seen the best Pens team ever ('93) lose in the playoffs, so I had zero expectations for this group especially because it's a LOT harder to win now with parity, salary cap, and simply more teams. I was happy with the 2009 cup, wanted more, but was resigned to the fact that would probably be it for this group. 16 and 17 was just icing on the cake.

As far as favorite player - all time my username should tell you all you need to know. Current player, I guess is Fleury. I probably wouldn't have thought that a few years ago, but man, I was pulling hard for Vegas (even before the finals) cause I just wanted to see him do well.

TheMalkinEra

May 1, 2017
If somebody told Penguins fans that after the 2004 season ended to look at Colorado duo of Sakic and Forsberg. That the Pens would be getting a even better duo then that for next 15 plus years. How many would have believed that.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
When we get there and the team is so young, the standard is sort of set. When we go through the DB and Johnson era, expectations get brought way down. You have to be really happy with where the team is at right now. We have a few little holes, but nothing like the holes we had some years. I think if this staff/roster can bring home 1 more in the next 5 years, Sid and Geno are in the mix of one of the top duo's in NHL history.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
We have a few little holes, but nothing like the holes we had some years. I think if this staff/roster can bring home 1 more in the next 5 years, Sid and Geno are in the mix of one of the top duo's in NHL history.

That's how I feel as well. I can see them hoisting it one last time before the ride is over.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I want one more so they go down as the best of their era. Sid and Geno lived up to their full potential in that scenario.

Reactions: Andy99 and BHD

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->