Can We Get New Sportsnet Commentators?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OddyOh

Really, Healy?
Aug 18, 2010
Regina, SK
Romanuk’s voice is completely blown out, sounds like he’s been screaming for 30 years, which of course he has. So grating.

It’s well worth it to sync up the internet radio feed, just wish radio was higher quality sound...it’s not 2002 anymore.

Curious if there will ever be a next generation of great play by play voices. Do today’s young people have any interest in broadcast school/training, given the constant cutbacks at media companies? Can’t wait to hear Fortnite references during a power play. :sarcasm:

Terrible GM

Jul 10, 2013
Maritimes
Joe is better on the radio.
like honestly if people want to listen to joe that badly, watch the game, and have it play on the radio, problem solved.

nothing is wrong with Hughson and Simpson for the most part, and nothing is wrong with Romanuk.

flat,550x550,075,f.u2.jpg

Romanuk can not call a good regional game in my opinion. I wish it didn't bother me to listen to him, but it does. He is up there with Jack Edwards in my books. For different reasons, but both extremely hard to listen to. I've been watching so many different broadcasters call leaf (regional) games for over 30 years, and he just not get it. There is a skill and awareness that broadcasters need to shift between calling regional games versus national games.

I like Hughson and Simpson personally, but I understand why some don't. They call it how they see it, and that's often hard to listen to, and I read countless posts and twitter mentions about viewers not liking them. I see even more comments stating their displeasure with Romanuk, but to state nothing is wrong with them is a tad ignorant, but I'm glad you can listen to him (Romanuk) and not get irked when he over calls/celebrates a Bruins or Habs goal, but for me it's like nails on a chalkboard.

I've tried the radio/tv matchup, but it's such a pain to keep them sync'd if GameCentre lags a little. In some situations I have tuned into the oppositions telecast with very good results, other times I pick my poison. I will always push for a change if I do not like something I am paying for, and I encourage others to do the same when I feel strongly on an issue.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
flat,550x550,075,f.u2.jpg

Romanuk can not call a good regional game in my opinion. I wish it didn't bother me to listen to him, but it does. He is up there with Jack Edwards in my books. For different reasons, but both extremely hard to listen to. I've been watching so many different broadcasters call leaf (regional) games for over 30 years, and he just not get it. There is a skill and awareness that broadcasters need to shift between calling regional games versus national games.

I like Hughson and Simpson personally, but I understand why some don't. They call it how they see it, and that's often hard to listen to, and I read countless posts and twitter mentions about viewers not liking them. I see even more comments stating their displeasure with Romanuk, but to state nothing is wrong with them is a tad ignorant, but I'm glad you can listen to him (Romanuk) and not get irked when he over calls/celebrates a Bruins or Habs goal, but for me it's like nails on a chalkboard.

I've tried the radio/tv matchup, but it's such a pain to keep them sync'd if GameCentre lags a little. In some situations I have tuned into the oppositions telecast with very good results, other times I pick my poison. I will always push for a change if I do not like something I am paying for, and I encourage others to do the same when I feel strongly on an issue.

how does one call a "good regional game?"
(legitimately curious).

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Not enough up and coming talent in the industry to take the jobs. Rogers would be happy to pay a young PBP guy less to take over, but nobody worthwhile is out there.

Bowen is limited because he can only do Leafs games and they need guys who can also do National games involving other teams.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Why don’t you like Glenn? Do you like Ray Ferraro?
Well I find his take on some things yo be lacking. It seems to me that these sports panels are restricted by time and the pressure is on to say something. I'm sure most would be better in a more relaxed setting.
Ray is really genuine! I listen to him and think that he knows what he is talking about! That doesn't mean I agree with everything of course,but who does?

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
Romanuk’s voice is completely blown out, sounds like he’s been screaming for 30 years, which of course he has. So grating.

It’s well worth it to sync up the internet radio feed, just wish radio was higher quality sound...it’s not 2002 anymore.

Curious if there will ever be a next generation of great play by play voices. Do today’s young people have any interest in broadcast school/training, given the constant cutbacks at media companies? Can’t wait to hear Fortnite references during a power play. :sarcasm:

Either that or he has been hacking on the Darts for 30 yrs.

Reactions: OddyOh

Terrible GM

Jul 10, 2013
Maritimes
how does one call a "good regional game?"
(legitimately curious).

My own opinion is they balance the narrative of the game, but when it's a bad game, they don't bury the team with negativity. For me not over hyping the other teams play, goal calls specially when the leafs are losing. That's my opinion. A few weeks back I listened to a related leafs lunch broadcast (link below) where they started talking about a soccer call, but it spills over to hockey and Gord Miller talks about the extremes of some team broadcasting, but more importantly how he approaches the games for TSN regional games versus NBC national games. I had never heard a broadcaster really break down, but over the years TSN has always done an amazing job (IMO) of balancing how games are called.

Whole clip is worth listening to, but he gets into the hockey at the 3 minute mark.

https://www.tsn.ca/video/miller-tre...s-want-broadcasters-to-be-more-biased~1427501

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
edmonton
There was an article on The Athletic early June where Scott Moore (president of Sportsnet NHL properties) stated Bowen is better on the radio than TV, and makes assumptions on what the fans want.

Scott is obviously not getting the message on what fans want for Leaf regional games. Send a tweet articulating your thoughts on Leaf games to @MooreScottmoore . I've seen so many complain about Romanuk on here, but the twitter activity needs more volume. They (he) needs to hear it like the Ron MacLean/HNIC outcry.

Scott Moore is the guy that brought you George Stroumboulopoulos for 3 years. What does he know?

Last edited:
Reactions: Terrible GM
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad