Can we change the new playoff format??

Saintpatrick*

I think the new format is god awful... You can still finish top 4 in your conference and STILL not have home advantage! Honestly what was wrong with the old format that was set in place for decades?? Kinda stupid

It's confusing as hell too I have no idea who plays who in the first round even

Monsieur

Oct 30, 2006
Huh. I'm not 100% sure, but I think it's the Conference #1 vs Wild Card #2, then Division #2 vs Division 3 and Conference #2 vs Wild Card #1. Meh.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
I think the new format is god awful... You can still finish top 4 in your conference and STILL not have home advantage! Honestly what was wrong with the old format that was set in place for decades?? Kinda stupid

This is exactly the same as what was happening when the SE would put up a garbage winner and the teams with the 3rd and 4th best records would play as the 4 and 5 seeds. Its just labelled differently this time.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
It's confusing as hell too I have no idea who plays who in the first round even

Top 3 teams from each division make it. The next 2 best records in the conference get the wild card spots.

The conference winner plays the 2nd wild card, the other divisional winner plays the 1st wild card.

That leaves 2 teams in each division, and they play each other in the first round.

That means if the playoffs started today, we are looking at Boston/Toronto, Pittsburgh/Detroit, rangers/flyers, and habs/bolts.

Other than Montreal/Tampa, these are pretty sexy matchups

Saintpatrick*

Top 3 teams from each division make it. The next 2 best records in the conference get the wild card spots.

The conference winner plays the 2nd wild card, the other divisional winner plays the 1st wild card.

That leaves 2 teams in each division, and they play each other in the first round.

That means if the playoffs started today, we are looking at Boston/Toronto, Pittsburgh/Detroit, rangers/flyers, and habs/bolts.

Other than Montreal/Tampa, these are pretty sexy matchups

Thanks man that helped clarify things a lot.

NHLcrazy

Feb 28, 2002
Montreal
Also there is no reseeding in the 2nd round.

So let's say Columbus finishes with the #2 wild card spot and face the the best team in the East (Boston). They somehow win that series.

Meanwhile, the 2nd best team in the East (Penguins) beat the #1 wild Card (Red Wings).

Well the Pens won't face Columbus in the 2nd round. The Pens will face the winner of the #2 (NYR) and #3 (Philly) team in Metropolitain division and Columbus will face the winner of the #2 (TB) and #3 (Habs) team of the Atlantic. TB wins.

Then Columbus wins the serie vs the Lightning and they are the Atlantic division champion.....from the Metropolitain! ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad