Can we appreciate what the old guard did this season

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
I'm not sure that is 100% true, I think their physical peaks are longer but the wear and tear on their bodies counteracts it. You look at Boxing and Sprinting and guys often peak around 32 and stay at peak to 36ish, but they aren't being pounded every night and injured every week.
For sure, but we ARE discussing hockey here so I'll stick with my thoughts on hockey players overall peak in production. Though I do find it a little hard to fathom that a 33-34 yr old sprinter hasn't lost a half step compared to themselves at 27-28 but I'll take your word for it.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
For sure, but we ARE discussing hockey here so I'll stick with my thoughts on hockey players overall peak in production. Though I do find it a little hard to fathom that a 33-34 yr old sprinter hasn't lost a half step compared to themselves at 27-28 but I'll take your word for it.
I was shown to be wrong on that.

Reactions: romba

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
Add Niklas Kronwall to the group.

38 years old, played 79 games (most on the Wings this year) with 27pts and several monster "Kronwalled" hits after seeing significant improvement in his knee that had been pretty debilitating the past 3 seasons. Was he a top Dman in the league? No. But he was more than serviceable and turned what was a foregone conclusion that this was his final year into a situation where if he so chooses to come back, the Wings would be happy to bring him back.

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Why are we talking about Crosby & Ovechkin as though they are old men? They're 31 & 33 years old respectively and both are generational players. I fully expect them to continue to perform at super high standards for at least another 4-5 years.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Why are we talking about Crosby & Ovechkin as though they are old men? They're 31 & 33 years old respectively and both are generational players. I fully expect them to continue to perform at super high standards for at least another 4-5 years.

because they are old.

the point is comparing them against the new generation which as emerged as s force the past couple seasons:

McDavid 21
Kucherov 25
MacKinnon 23
Draisaitl 22
Marner 21
Pastrnak 22
Matthews 21

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Too bad Kane’s pace slowed down so much after that crazy streak , he was on pace for 125+ . Still, 110 ain’t too bad lol

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
Crosby hit 100 points

OV hit 50+ goals

Kane had a career high in points with 110

Insane that they're doing this at this age with the skill present in this league.

:laugh::laugh::laugh: seriously?? you're talking 2 of the top 100 players of all time in the NHL and the 3rd one is pretty close to it... their skills wont just disappeared because they've hit 30 you know.

Yes there may be some young talented players in the league but these will be there until they retire

:headache:

Synesthesia

Apr 15, 2012
Pretty impressive how Chara, at age 42, still averaged over 21 minutes of TOI this season, and finished +22. The guy is just unstoppable.

How bout Jumbo too? Age 39, 51pts in 73GP is very respectable.

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
because they are old.

the point is comparing them against the new generation which as emerged as s force the past couple seasons:

McDavid 21
Kucherov 25
MacKinnon 23
Draisaitl 22
Marner 21
Pastrnak 22
Matthews 21

Yeah I still don't get it. were we marveling at how Gretzky was still one of the best players in the game in his early 30s? the influx of elite youth doesn't change the fact that Crosby & Ovechkin are also elite. it isn't like we're talking about some players who make an ASG or two in their career. We're talking about top 10 players of all time. they'll be great for at least another 3 years, and I see no reason why we should expect truly elite players to somehow slow down in their early 30s.

Kegsey

Defense be scared, Hertl coming.
Oct 20, 2011
Canada
Such a shame Karlsson, Doughty, Keith, and Subban had such underwhelming seasons
Karlsson had 45 points in 53 games with like a 13 game point streak. His season was ruined by injuries but by no stretch was his play underwhelming.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Such a shame Karlsson, Doughty, Keith, and Subban had such underwhelming seasons
Karlsson has been absolutely amazing after game 15 or something. Ye he hasnt played much the last 30 games because of injuries but he was great prior to the injury.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Yeah I still don't get it. were we marveling at how Gretzky was still one of the best players in the game in his early 30s? the influx of elite youth doesn't change the fact that Crosby & Ovechkin are also elite. it isn't like we're talking about some players who make an ASG or two in their career. We're talking about top 10 players of all time. they'll be great for at least another 3 years, and I see no reason why we should expect truly elite players to somehow slow down in their early 30s.

While you're correct that it SHOULDN'T be a surprise, I think that's kind of the point of the thread. Because there's a segment of HF who literally act as though anyone over age 25 are basically done as elite players and the new guys (Laine, Matthews, Eichel, etc.) will basically out-produce the old fossils (Crosby, Ovechkin, Kane, Malkin, etc.) easily from here on out.

Reactions: varank

BlueBull

Habby Man
Oct 11, 2017
Vancouver Island
:laugh::laugh::laugh: seriously?? you're talking 2 of the top 100 players of all time in the NHL and the 3rd one is pretty close to it... their skills wont just disappeared because they've hit 30 you know.

Yes there may be some young talented players in the league but these will be there until they retire

:headache:
How is Kane not a top 100 player of all time already? 3 cups, an MVP, and is only just outside top 100 in total points and he is only 30.

Kane is top 100 and will be top 50 easily.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
It goes to show that great players are great players. Scoring increased significantly, but the best players changed with the pack. Crosby, Ovechkin, etc. still are tangibly better than their peers.

Remember that next time anyone tries to bash Gretzky or Lemieux. They were greats relative to their peers.

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
From a non-scientific viewpoint, I'd wager this is more of a result of the change to goalie equipment than anything else. Yes, I think training is a big factor and there is so much money on the line these stars are doing whatever they can to stick around, but I truly think the biggest factor is the change of equipment. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a big overall uptick in goals, and I'd love to see the stats on that.

League average goals were the highest since 05-06.
www.hockey-reference.com_leagues_stats.html_-_2019-04-10_00.20.23.jpg
But the most important thing is to compare them to scoring of top players, because their scoring doesn't go completely hand in hand with the rest of the league. PP time, penalties, obstruction rules enforcement has a larger effect on elite players' scoring than on 4th line plugs who only score by whacking in that 4th rebound.

What IS impressive is that Kane was still that high on the league scoring race, and that Ovechkin actually won the Rocket again. No matter what the league averages are: if you're the best in league, you are pretty ffin good.

Reactions: greasysnapper

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
Are you thinking of a different kind of sprinting? Sprinters are old at 30

Boxers can stay elite longer because so much of it is intelligence and not just the physical ability to punch hard and fast.

And it's about even getting to the title match

You have to have pretty much 30 or so matches under your belt to be even considered for a spot on the championship match

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad