Can we appreciate what the old guard did this season

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
From a non-scientific viewpoint, I'd wager this is more of a result of the change to goalie equipment than anything else. Yes, I think training is a big factor and there is so much money on the line these stars are doing whatever they can to stick around, but I truly think the biggest factor is the change of equipment. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a big overall uptick in goals, and I'd love to see the stats on that.
3.01 goals per game up from 2.97, which is about 50 more goals this season.

Reactions: greasysnapper

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Nothing surprises me with Crosby, He is one of the most skilled players to ever play the game. He takes tremendous care of himself and will continue to be a top player for years to come. He is obsessed with being the best player he can be. I would be willing to bet he will continue to dominate into his mid to late 30's health allowing.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
We can dispel the myth that players peak at 25-27 or whatever. I think nowadays offseason training and injury rehabilitation is far superior to what it was 25 years ago and players, especially the elite superstars, can be expected to be very productive into their early 30s at least.
Agreed, but I still think physical peak hits around 26-27 for most players. Strength catches up to speed which peeks at a younger age, both stay close to peak until around 30ish with speed and hands seeming to diminish first, but increasing savvy can really overcome diminishing skills depending on grade of decline and IQ of the player. Some guys learn how to best use their energy at 30+ and can become more efficient as they age until the big drop off in skill hits.

Reactions: Wrath and Jacob

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Such a shame Karlsson, Doughty, Keith, and Subban had such underwhelming seasons

Huh? Doughty and his team worst -34 sure sticks out as awful to me, but Keith and Karlsson both had pretty good seasons.

Keith still hit 40 points, even after a terrible start to the season. He had the highest +- on the Hawks. His first half was pretty awful. 41 GP, 0G 16A, -2. His second half was much better. 41 GP, 6G 18A, +16.

Karlsson was almost a PPG this season. He just missed a bunch of time to injury... Subban also missed a bunch of time to injury.

Reactions: DominikBokkFan

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Keith had a much better season than last year. At least productively.

Better defensively as well. Keith is still a great defensive player and he had good underlying numbers and good overall 5on5 production. His primary production has fallen off a cliff, but overall he's still a great player, at worst still a 2D.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Huh? Doughty and his team worst -34 sure sticks out as awful to me, but Keith and Karlsson both had pretty good seasons.

Keith still hit 40 points, even after a terrible start to the season. He had the highest +- on the Hawks. His first half was pretty awful. 41 GP, 0G 16A, -2. His second half was much better. 41 GP, 6G 18A, +16.

Karlsson was almost a PPG this season. He just missed a bunch of time to injury... Subban also missed a bunch of time to injury.

Keith's underlying numbers especially SF% are great and his overall production is still good. Keith is still a great defensive player that's lost a step offensively, but he isn't bad by any means. Still a mid tier 2D at worst, and lowend 1D at best (Although more closer to a 2D overall).

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Agreed, but I still think physical peak hits around 26-27 for most players. Strength catches up to speed which peeks at a younger age, both stay close to peak until around 30ish with speed and hands seeming to diminish first, but increasing savvy can really overcome diminishing skills depending on grade of decline and IQ of the player. Some guys learn how to best use their energy at 30+ and can become more efficient as they age until the big drop off in skill hits.

I'm not sure that is 100% true, I think their physical peaks are longer but the wear and tear on their bodies counteracts it. You look at Boxing and Sprinting and guys often peak around 32 and stay at peak to 36ish, but they aren't being pounded every night and injured every week.

Reactions: romba

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I'm not sure that is 100% true, I think their physical peaks are longer but the wear and tear on their bodies counteracts it. You look at Boxing and Sprinting and guys often peak around 32 and stay at peak to 36ish, but they aren't being pounded every night and injured every week.

Are you thinking of a different kind of sprinting? Sprinters are old at 30

Boxers can stay elite longer because so much of it is intelligence and not just the physical ability to punch hard and fast.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Keith's underlying numbers especially SF% are great and his overall production is still good. Keith is still a great defensive player that's lost a step offensively, but he isn't bad by any means. Still a mid tier 2D at worst, and lowend 1D at best (Although more closer to a 2D overall).

He's still a top 10 defenseman for even strength points. His overall points have dropped because he's no longer on the top PP unit.

Reactions: DominikBokkFan

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
With the old guard not looking bad against the new player, considering that this old guard that didn't made Jagr/Lidstrom/Sakic when they played at the same time in the same league look bad and them not making the Yzerman/Messier/Bourque look bad when they played in the same league, etc..., the long chain argument that Bobby Hull was really good at hockey stay unbroken.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Are you thinking of a different kind of sprinting? Sprinters are old at 30

Boxers can stay elite longer because so much of it is intelligence and not just the physical ability to punch hard and fast.
I'm not going to say it is a rule but I did observe Karl Lewis, Ben Johnson and guys in that era were all in their 30s when winning their metals.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I'm not going to say it is a rule but I did observe Karl Lewis, Ben Johnson and guys in that era were all in their 30s when winning their metals.

Karl Lewis individual olympic medals for sprinting came at age 23 and 27. He won a team sprinting medal at 31 and a long jump medal at 31.

He also got a bronze in the 200m at 32 at the world championships.

Johnson won his medals in his 20s, and was doping anyway. Even in his comeback he was 31-32 and was doping.

The oldest person to *ever* medal in the 100m was 32 years old. Sprinting is fundamentally not something athletes do well as they age.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Karl Lewis individual olympic medals for sprinting came at age 23 and 27. He won a team sprinting medal at 31 and a long jump medal at 31.

He also got a bronze in the 200m at 32 at the world championships.

Johnson won his medals in his 20s, and was doping anyway. Even in his comeback he was 31-32 and was doping.

The oldest person to *ever* medal in the 100m was 32 years old. Sprinting is fundamentally not something athletes do well as they age.

Well it was just an impression I had, I did not really research it or anything. I stand corrected.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
The first thing that goes from the human body is always speed. Of course a sprinter goes out of their prime early. There's no other thing necessary for a sprinter.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Crosby hit 100 points

OV hit 50+ goals

Kane had a career high in points with 110

Insane that they're doing this at this age with the skill present in this league.
“At this age”? Kane is 30 bud. That’s not shocking at all.

Reactions: izlez

PattyLafontaine

Apr 5, 2006
Old man Thornton with 50+ points after two knee surgeries at age 39 playing limited minutes on the third line

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Crosby hit 100 points

OV hit 50+ goals

Kane had a career high in points with 110

Insane that they're doing this at this age with the skill present in this league.

Yeah, I can't believe these 50 year olds are still kickin!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->