Can we appreciate what the old guard did this season

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Crosby hit 100 points

OV hit 50+ goals

Kane had a career high in points with 110

Insane that they're doing this at this age with the skill present in this league.

Especially impressive given the "new guard" were supposed to basically take over and dominate these old fossils.

What do you know? A player's career isn't over at age 30 after all.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Especially impressive given the "new guard" were supposed to basically take over and dominate these old fossils.

What do you know? A player's career isn't over at age 30 after all.

Yup, just look how long guys like Lidstrom, Selanne, and Jagr stayed competitive with the game. Hopefully we get many more great years from the elite of today.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
It's good to see the last generation of great players still perform well. Giordano will likely win the Norris. Burns going over PPG. Thornton still looks like he is a useful player. Edler had a pretty good season aside from the injuries. Lots of good performances by "older" players, too bad Luongo looks done though.

pi314

Jun 10, 2017
Windsor, ON
Oldies for the win.

tenor.gif

Last edited:

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I think it's actually more surprising what the young guys were able to do this season.
It's good to see the old guard still around though.

Khrox

May 31, 2018
Crosby hit 100 points

OV hit 50+ goals

Kane had a career high in points with 110

Insane that they're doing this at this age with the skill present in this league.
May not be a star of that calibre, but Gio with his 74 points as a 35 year old d-man is impressive as well (first since Lidstrom to have over 60 points at that age). Bergeron and Marchand also having amazing seasons for being on the older side of things.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
From a non-scientific viewpoint, I'd wager this is more of a result of the change to goalie equipment than anything else. Yes, I think training is a big factor and there is so much money on the line these stars are doing whatever they can to stick around, but I truly think the biggest factor is the change of equipment. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a big overall uptick in goals, and I'd love to see the stats on that.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
Even Andrew Shaw had a career year, points-wise, for the Habs this year. (Granted, he's only 27 but it seems like he's been around for a while)

Reactions: KotkaSpicy

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
We can dispel the myth that players peak at 25-27 or whatever. I think nowadays offseason training and injury rehabilitation is far superior to what it was 25 years ago and players, especially the elite superstars, can be expected to be very productive into their early 30s at least.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Yup, just look how long guys like Lidstrom, Selanne, and Jagr stayed competitive with the game. Hopefully we get many more great years from the elite of today.

Also the nutritioning and science/health care today is better than ever. You saw the Klitschko's dominate at 40 and the UFC heavyweight champ is turning 40. Hockey is of course a more difficult sport to stay in competitive shape for though because of the pace and how banged up you get from an 82+ game schedule.. but I wouldn't consider Crosby and Ovi that old.

Kane just turned 30... he's in his athletic prime regardless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad