Can Voracek's ceiling be higher than Giroux's?

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
i guess we agree to disagree.

There are tons of laser beam shots like this from Giroux to choose from. Voracek's shot is not as hard or as accurate. But it's easier for him get his shot off at ES because of his superior size and skating ability.

zehhIGY.gif

isumP2z49vfbJ.gif

[NHL]2014020070-648-a[/NHL]

I should also add that Giroux is more than twice as good as Voracek at shootouts.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I'm talking about looking at their individual talent level rather than their numbers. Voracek's been playing below his talent level for a lot of these years.

I agree that Voracek is only now making full use of his talent, but even so he only has 7 goals to Giroux's 6 this year. They are both playmakers more than they are goal scorers.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I agree that Voracek is only now making full use of his talent, but even so he only has 7 goals to Giroux's 6 this year. They are both playmakers more than they are goal scorers.

Yeah but Giroux's are all on the PP opposed to Voracek's one. I think Voracek will out score him as the year goes on. His PP production will go up & like I said before he's better at creating a better shot which comes more into play at ES.

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
Yeah but Giroux's are all on the PP opposed to Voracek's one. I think Voracek will out score him as the year goes on. His PP production will go up & like I said before he's better at creating a better shot which comes more into play at ES.
And odds are Giroux won't continue to shoot at 6.5%. He's 2nd in the league in shots to my knowledge. They will start going in eventually.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
And odds are Giroux won't continue to shoot at 6.5%. He's 2nd in the league in shots to my knowledge. They will start going in eventually.

Assuming he continue's to shoot as much as he is right now. He's on pace to break his previous career high by a pretty nice margin & we all know when he gets frustrated he stops shooting.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I think they'll both get around 25 goals this season, if they play 80 games.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
Offensively, maybe, but I wouldn't say his overall ceiling can be higher than Giroux's simply because he's a winger. A center has a lot more responsibility and I dont see Voracek being so much better than G offensively that it negates that.

Either way, feels good to have 2 elite forwards on the team, eh?

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
There are tons of laser beam shots like this from Giroux to choose from. Voracek's shot is not as hard or as accurate. But it's easier for him get his shot off at ES because of his superior size and skating ability.

That's exactly it. Voracek's speed and size make it easier for him to get into prime shooting positions. Giroux isn't weak but he is slightly undersized and isn't as quick so he's mostly kept to the outside at 5v5. And on the PP Giroux is able to draw most defenders towards him and give a quick pass to Voracek, who then skates it into the slot.

Giroux is average 5v5, mostly only noticeable on PP.

Well that's just plain inaccurate.

FLYERSFAN18

May 31, 2008
Pennsylvania
I'm just glad we have both of them and can even have this conversation. Hopefully we can get Voracek signed to a good deal after next season. Now we just need to find a defenseman that we can add to the who is our best player discussion

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Defensively he's great 5 on 5 but he doesn't create as much as other top players in the league 5v5. He's relies on the PP to get points.

He has twice been top ten in 5v5P/60 in the last 4 years.

Since the 2010-11 season he is 11th in the NHL in 5v5P/60... (2000+ mins played, over 450 players have played that much)

In that time he also has:

9th most EV points.
6th most EV assists.
3rd most EV 1st assists.
7th most EV assists/60.
6th most EV 1st assists/60.

He is one of the best 3 PP players in the NHL... but is an elite player at 5v5 as well.

jabba2

Oct 28, 2010
I think Voracek's superior skating is showing he will create chances that Giroux wont be able to 5-5. Doesn't mean he's a better player, but Voracek is showing a skill set few NHL players have right now. They both create offense rather than finish, but they both do it completely different ways.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad