Can Vegas beat San Jose in the first round without a healthy Fleury?

Can Vegas beat San Jose in the first round if Fleury is still injured?

• Total voters

LuckyBoeser

Oct 8, 2018
Jones is terrible too evident by eye test and analytics. However if Vegas runs into playoffs warriors Jones, then that is an entire different story.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Depends on how Martin Jones plays for SJ.
Right now Suban is probably on par with the Jones. With MAF I would have given the series to Vegas but without him it might be a toss up.

Ronnie Residue

Burns is daddy.
Feb 15, 2015
On, Canada
I think they could. As a sharks fan, this series could go either way, and I’m certainly not overly confident. Vegas matches up against us really well.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I have this series pegged as one that is determined by goaltending alone. Both teams have amazing systems at evens, but holy shit, has Jones been bad this year. Without Fleury, it would be very even. Probably giving SJ the edge due to Jones' history, though. A very slight edge

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I have this series pegged as one that is determined by goaltending alone. Both teams have amazing systems at evens, but holy ****, has Jones been bad this year. Without Fleury, it would be very even. Probably giving SJ the edge due to Jones' history, though. A very slight edge

San Jose doesn’t necessarily have an amazing system. Over the past 3 seasons of 5-on-5 play, no goaltender faces a higher percentage of high danger shots per shot faced and only Cam Talbot has a lower xSV% per Corsica’s model. They limit quantity and give up quality.

Granted, Jones has also been absolutely terrible and thoroughly underperformed his expected save percentage, as well as any reasonable save percentage that we can expect from looking at a regression line based on percentage of high danger shots allowed. But he and the system are a match made in hell.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
San Jose doesn’t necessarily have an amazing system. Over the past 3 seasons of 5-on-5 play, no goaltender faces a higher percentage of high danger shots per shot faced and only Cam Talbot has a lower xSV% per Corsica’s model. They limit quantity and give up quality.

Granted, Jones has also been absolutely terrible and thoroughly underperformed his expected save percentage, as well as any reasonable save percentage that we can expect from looking at a regression line based on percentage of high danger shots allowed. But he and the system are a match made in hell.
Yeah, but let's remember than San Jose also puts up crazy xG for. With that much going for your offense, you can get away with the bad defense as well.

Vegas has both sides in pretty good shape. The absence of Fleury could easily submarine them, though.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Depends on which Subban comes to play every night. On the off hand the version of him that's a low end starter that we see every now and then can show up in every game I like our chances but if he plays like he has...well for this entire losing streak the Knights have been on then yikes.

Also if the injuries to Schmidt and Theodore are serious then yikes no matter who is in net.

Reactions: Howe Elbows 9

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Jones usually spots VGK a goal or 2 in the first couple of minutes, but Subban usually gives up 2 softies per game. It could be a 7 game contest to see who could suck less.

Tarmore

Nov 11, 2008
How many teams are there that would survive the first round without their #1 goalie? Not many.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Jones is less terrible than Subban, so no. But I never believe injury "news" so MAF will probably be back for game one.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Also depends on the sharks health. If Erik Karlsson can be at even 80% and Pavelski comes back healthy then probably not unless Jones completely shits the bed.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
San Jose has a lot of fire power, so I don't know. It would really depend on which goalie plays worse. And, my bets would be on Subban playing worse than Jones.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
This might be one of the worst goalie match-ups for two high seeded teams going at it if MAF isn't in net.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Subban might be one of the worst goalies in the NHL so probably not. As bad as Jones has been atleast I've seen him play good hockey, especially in the playoffs before.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad