Proposal: Can Tourigny be the next coach?

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
No way, we already have people in line
We're just supposed to give this guy the job ..why exactly? he's proven nothing
as much as people want Ducharme, id vote Joel Bouchard way before

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Guy Boucher has always been my favorite coach to listen to pre and or post game interviews. I just wish he had stayed in Hamilton instead of leaving after 1 year, would have been very interesting to see how it might have turned out for us, several prospects and Boucher himself.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Guy Boucher has always been my favorite coach to listen to pre and or post game interviews. I just wish he had stayed in Hamilton instead of leaving after 1 year, would have been very interesting to see how it might have turned out for us, several prospects and Boucher himself.

Until he started employing his 1-3-1 and even the fans stopped showing up it was so bad to watch. Then that 'little man' syndrome started kicking in, and the players would just stop playing for him once he hit the NHL coaching ranks.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Until he started employing his 1-3-1 and even the fans stopped showing up it was so bad to watch. Then that 'little man' syndrome started kicking in, and the players would just stop playing for him once he hit the NHL coaching ranks.
It's actually funny how people think all these coaches are so different and shit.

They all ask for basically the same stuff with some tweaks.

What keeps them in the business is the ability to make a bunch of egos to listen and execute what's being said.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
I don't have enough time on hand to go and dissect how in those particular games the forecheck and neutral zone positioning was tweaked, honestly I remember watching those games with my dad (he coached for a decade and I've been playing since literally forever) and those things standing out, especially since we appointed him just a few months after the tournament

What you describe, in the most vague way possible, are the usual adjustments that literally every team does throughout the season.

For what it's worth, I've had a quick look at the 2018-2019 first few games and we've clocked at 3.33 gf/2.66 ga in the first 12 compared to a 3.03/2.87 season average.

Yes, and unless you can provide the casual link between specific changes made to the system and the drop in results, this is a meaningless statistic. There can be many non tactics related reasons for the drop in form.

By the way, did the results really drop after the first 12 games that season? We were basically a playoff team right until the end. If we decide to operate on this level of vagueness I could just as successfully make an argument that it was Julien's adjustments that made a mediocre roster competitive after the usual October adrenaline was gone.

There is this bizarre narrative that everything good that happened that season was Ducharme's work and then, inexplicably, Julien decided to screw it up. People really have a strange idea of how a coaching team works together.

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
Results are what counts, so far none of the names mentioned in this thread have been able to produce them in any level above Junior. Big difference dealing with 16-18 year olds who are afraid of their shadow and can be bullied and pro hockey players.

Bouchard the darling of this board has been a failure so far in producing results in Laval. Which prospect has he actually developed that is in the Habs line-up? Evans a 4th line center

All I have seen is a coach who has alienated almost every player that was brought in as veteran support for the AHL team. Some say they were bad apples and it was their fault, but the fact that no decent AHL free-agent is signing with Laval suggests the problem may not be with the players. If a player prefers playing in BFN instead of a team 10 minutes from Montreal that should open some eyes. The only ones are the local guys who like playing close to home, so they put up with him.

I'm sure the excuses this year will include them losing players to the taxi squad, when the only FA's they signed are guys who are not household names even in their own households.

Last edited:

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Idk if some of you recall, but when Ducharme got here we had high scoring affairs for about the first ten games until Clod decided that was enough, and reverted back to his good old defensive system.

Most of that goal-scoring came from his new ass. coach, you could see those same ideas applied by Team Canada in the years he coached.

I don’t think Tourigny is great, and personally can’t wait till Ducharme is given a chance to drive the boat. That guy knows offense, we’ll be an exciting team. :)

Julien did not revert back to his old system at all. The team continues to employ an aggressive up tempo style built around speed and transition.

Scoring is usually higher at the start of the season as teams are in the process of refining their defensive cohesiveness. Offence comes from capitalizing on defensive mistakes.......it is that simple.

I suspect you would be unable to tell me exactly what changes were made when Ducharme arrived and exactly what perceived reversals CJ allegedly implemented. You are only drawing your conclusion from a drop in scoring but your correlation is flawed and entirely inaccurate.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
What you describe, in the most vague way possible, are the usual adjustments that literally every team does throughout the season.

Yes, and unless you can provide the casual link between specific changes made to the system and the drop in results, this is a meaningless statistic. There can be many non tactics related reasons for the drop in form.

By the way, did the results really drop after the first 12 games that season? We were basically a playoff team right until the end. If we decide to operate on this level of vagueness I could just as successfully make an argument that it was Julien's adjustments that made a mediocre roster competitive after the usual October adrenaline was gone.

There is this bizarre narrative that everything good that happened that season was Ducharme's work and then, inexplicably, Julien decided to screw it up. People really have a strange idea of how a coaching team works together.

Great post!

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
It's actually funny how people think all these coaches are so different and shit.

They all ask for basically the same stuff with some tweaks.

What keeps them in the business is the ability to make a bunch of egos to listen and execute what's being said.

That isn't true, some are defense first and that never changes even if their lineup does. Look how many coaches have went through Pittsburgh since Crosby and Malkin arrived. If they start restricting the stars, and piss off the fans, they are canned.

Reactions: Runner77

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Something about Ducharme, I cannot pin point the thing but he just do not come off like a head coach. He looks odd to me. Tourigny would not be my first choice but he has more presence, he come off more like a general that you go to battle with. Bouchard would be good.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Something about Ducharme, I cannot pin point the thing but he just do not come off like a head coach. He looks odd to me. Tourigny would not be my first choice but he has more presence, he come off more like a general that you go to battle with. Bouchard would be good.
He looks better in a suit , for one :naughty:

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
I believe Ducharme and/or Bouchard have the lead for our next HC , i think Tourigny will land with the Sens. He's already in their backyard coaching with the 67's .

Reactions: donghabs98

JC Superstar

Aug 7, 2013
You think Bergevin is through recycling former coaches? I thought he still had to give another chance to Vigneault? Right now, on hand in Montreal, he could have Carbonneau or Tremblay. Well, going with rookies I'd go with Ducharme first, just because I would be afraid of a Lefevre come back.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Gotta think Boucher would have been the Habs coach in 11-12 when we fired Martin had he stayed with the Bulldogs. That season could have ended differently had he coached the team considering we were still close to a playoff spot when Martin was fired.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Julien did not revert back to his old system at all. The team continues to employ an aggressive up tempo style built around speed and transition.

Scoring is usually higher at the start of the season as teams are in the process of refining their defensive cohesiveness. Offence comes from capitalizing on defensive mistakes.......it is that simple.

I suspect you would be unable to tell me exactly what changes were made when Ducharme arrived and exactly what perceived reversals CJ allegedly implemented. You are only drawing your conclusion from a drop in scoring but your correlation is flawed and entirely inaccurate.

A lot of presumptions paraded as thinly veiled insults (if at all). Nice conversation piece.

For one, though, it is unclear if changes had been brought by Ducharme in the first place. It wasn't just a drop in scoring, though. I'd have to watch the season over to identify particulars but, the line combos definitely were of a much safer, more defensively sound variety as the season wore on. As the pressure mounted to eke into the playoffs, Julien was definitely trying to win games 0 to -1 all over again and I vaguely recall line deployment being an issue for me when the games were tight.

That's entirely normal for a coach to revert to what is familiar and safe when pressured. It could also have been Julien not clamping down as hard on defensive lapses in the first half of the season -- time, winning and come from behind victories always help in that respect...

However, with mounting pressure to make the playoffs, Julien must have been less confident in come from behind affairs and must've stressed the need to adhere fully to the system, if nothing else. Beyond that, it was coaching choices for line formations and deployment that skewed things, IMO.

The system is up tempo, as you say but, it is a counter-attack system, with 5-player support in all three zones, including the O-zone once puck control is established.

In fact, it's not very different than a majority of NHL teams, other than zone D VS man-to-man D and forecheck variations, etc. Most tams have a variation of the same general principles, from what I have gathered.

I'm not sure if any NHL teams have pure or primarily offensive systems but, I doubt any do. However, I truthfully don't watch all teams play regularly. I presume that offensively stacked teams with weak Ds tend to revert to run and gun offense when they regularly trail from behind...

Reactions: Vachon23

JC Superstar

Aug 7, 2013

The way I see it, the Habs surprised the NHL with their speed but once they had it on tape, opponents found weaknesses (especially on Riley's side) and the Habs had to do damage control. The way they did it wasn't to my taste since they lost too much speed on the back but Price needed some protection.

Hey what do I know!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad