Can Toronto Sports ever catch a break?

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Toronto Sports in general seems to be healthy.

I only question Jays fans. That recent run they had was so delusional and misleading. They are going to hurt for a very long time I'm afraid.

The Jays have one of the better farms in baseball.

We will never be the Red Sox or Yankees but there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Reactions: Plat87

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
They have a top 5 farm, despite what one MLB analyst insists, and one of the most exciting prospects in all of baseball in recent memory. Remember when the Leafs were bad but we had Auston, Willy, and Mitch waiting to come in, the Blue Jays position really isn't that different if Vlad, Bo and others progress as expected.

And as someone else commented, that "delusional and misleading" run was some of the most entertaining sports I've ever seen, they had a very legitimate chance to win the series in 2015.

I completely disagree.

You may see the Jay's turn around as 3 seasons and I see it as 486 games.

Also many project that said "most exciting prospect" won't be injected into the line-up until next August.

Until the Jays spend more money they will probably always be 3rd of 4th in their division.

Reactions: AreBe

Cypruss

Stand up for your beliefs.
Oct 18, 2018
LaSalle, Manitoba
TFC win the triple crown last year.

Raps are the best they've ever been. They've run into a generational player in the playoffs the last few years.

Jay's came off consecutive ASLC appearances but are now re- tooling

Leafs are one of the most exciting young teams in the league, with some of the best players in the world and have a chance to be a legit contender for the foreseeable future.

The real question is. Why are you complaining???? Why can't you just get over the past and enjoy the moment.

No kidding, the future is bright in Toronto with the Elite Leafs, Very strong Raptors. Like said, TFC has won, Argo's just won, Marlies just won. Can you imagine your level of frustration if you lived in Winnipeg?? Jets have never won squat, and the Bombers have not won a championship in like 25 years.....in a 8/9 team league!

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
"Can you believe how much it sucks to be a Toronto sports fan?", asks man during the most promising stretch in Toronto sports in years.
The fact that most see this time as a "bright spot" in Toronto sports proves my point. None of these teams have even won a championship and ppl celebrate them for just being a playoff team.

Jays blew 2 huge chances in '15 and '16 and are back to being the whipping boys of Boston and NYY. Raps are not winning a championship this year, the NBA/refs will do everything in their power to make sure the Raps don't reach the finals since that would be catostrohpic for the league, and Kawhi is likely leaving to LA next summer. The Leafs are...well the Leafs. I know they have a good team but they haven't proven anything yet and they're too many good teams in this league that can easily make them look bad come playoff time

Last edited:

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
I completely disagree.

Also many project that said "most exciting prospect" won't be injected into the line-up until next August.

Until the Jays spend more money they will probably always be 3rd of 4th in their division.
Literally everyone projects that prospect to be in the minors approx. 3 weeks into the season to add a year before UFA. I've never seen August in a projection. The Jays have been 9th, 5th, 10th, 10th, 10th, 9th in payroll in the last 6 years respectively, overall budget isn't an issue (please don't bring up "We didn't pay EE enough so he left" because that's always good for a laugh).

Baseball is volatile in the way prospects progress, and maybe their farm doesn't pan out. But as of right now they are in a pretty favourable position to insulate the young players with older ones once the big (bad) contracts are off the books (Tulo, Martin, Morales etc.)

Reactions: phillipmike

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Toronto FC just won the MLS Cup in 2017... the Argos won the Grey Cup...

This is the most dominant Leafs team in living memory.

The Raptors have been good for the last half decade+ and are poised to win a championship this year.

I guess some people see the glass half full, some see it half empty, and others assume it’s completely empty and start threads hoping that they can build a movement of chagrin to collect tears to replenish the chalice.

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
Toronto FC just won the MLS Cup in 2017... the Argos won the Grey Cup...

This is the most dominant Leafs team in living memory.

The Raptors have been good for the last half decade+ and are poised to win a championship this year.

I guess some people see the glass half full, some see it half empty, and others assume it’s completely empty and start threads hoping that they can build a movement of chagrin to collect tears to replenish the chalice.
The fact that this is the best the leafs have been in living memory is kinda sad, and the Raptors are not winning a title with Gsw healthy and around, plus having a Canadian team winning in basketball is easily the NBA commissioner's biggest nightmare

Reactions: AreBe

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
The fact that most see this time as a "bright spot" in Toronto sports proves my point. None of these teams have even won a championship and ppl celebrate them for just being a playoff team.

Jays blew 2 huge chances in '15 and '16 and are back to being the whipping boys of Boston and NYY. Raps are not winning a championship this year, the NBA/refs will do everything in their power to make sure the Raps don't reach the finals since that would be catostrohpic for the league, and Kawhi is likely leaving to LA next summer. The Leafs are...well the Leafs. I know they have a good team but they haven't proven anything yet and they're too many good teams in this league that can easily make them look bad come playoff time
Thhheeeeeere it is.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009

Just shows how hard it is to win professional championships, let alone multiple wins across several sports in one particular city. It is rare that a city wins championships in different sports at the same time.
Boston has done well since 2000 with wins in all 4 major sports. Cannot think of another city that has done as well as them.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Toronto Sports in general seems to be healthy.

I only question Jays fans. That recent run they had was so delusional and misleading. They are going to hurt for a very long time I'm afraid.

They hired a new manager that may change the way they play on the field. Aside from that 3 month run in 2015 I haven’t been excited about a Jays team in decades.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I feel like this post is dated wrong. I would understand the sentiment if it was 204 or something like that but now. Raps and Leafs are both on the cusp of doing incredible things, the Jays had a good run and sure they were bad the past two years but they have a good pipeline of talent coming up, and TFC won the league a year ago. To me that effectively erases the loss from the year before; the CL was unfortunate to lose especially because it was the same night as the Game 7 leafs loss, but hey they were still coming off of a title not even 3 months old.

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
Just shows how hard it is to win professional championships, let alone multiple wins across several sports in one particular city. It is rare that a city wins championships in different sports at the same time.
Boston has done well since 2000 with wins in all 4 major sports. Cannot think of another city that has done as well as them.
There's actually been quite a bit of successful sports towns in NA, along with Boston. Although none are as prolific as Bo-town, they've still had considerable success in sports over the years

The Bay Area: Warriors are the middle of one of basketball's greatest dynasties, Giants have won 3 WS since 2010, 49ers are one of the NFL's most decorated franchises with 5 SB to their name, and the Sharks have been the best team in the cap era to not win a cup, although they made a Cup Final losing to a loaded Pens team

Chicago: Bulls won 6 chips including 2 three-peats with the GOAT, Blackhawks have won 3 cups since 2010, Cubs won a WS in 2016, and the White Sox won one in 2005. The Bears also won a SB in the 80's and made it to the SB not too long ago

Pittsburgh: Penguins and Steelers are two of hockey and football's most successful franchises, respectively. Steelers have 6 SB (most all time), Pens won 5 cups (most in the last 30 years), and the Pirates have about 5/6 WS too

Los Angeles/Anaheim: Lakers have won 5 rings since 2000 and 16 in total (2nd most ever), Kings have won 2 SC since 2012, Angels won a ring in 2002, Ducks won in 2007, the Dodgers have been to the past 2 WS while also being one of the baseball's most valuable franchises and the Rams are in prime position to become SB champs this year

The Texas trio - San Antonio, Dallas, and Houston: Spurs have won 5 rings since 1999, Cowboys have 5 SBs, Mavs pulled off one of the most epic title runs ever in 2011, Rockets repeated in the mid 90s with Hakeem, and the Astros won the WS just last year. Texas is also a prime hotspot for College sports too but that's for a different discussion

Detroit: one of the more underrated sports cities in the continent. Red Wings have won 11 cups including 4 between 1997-2008 while also making the playoffs for like 25 yrs in a row, the Pistons have 3 since the late 80's including one in 2004 and were the East's best team for most of the 2000's, and the Tigers have made it to multiple WS over the last 10 years. The lions are the only LOL in Detroit sports

Denver: Broncos won 3 SBs since the late 90's including one with Manning a couple years ago, Avalanche won 2 in the late 90's/2000's, Rockies won a pennant not too long ago, and the Nuggets are on the up-rise.

NYC metro area: Can't forget New York. The Yankees have 27 rings (most by any sports team in NA) including 5 since the late 90's, the Giants have won 4 SB, Islanders were a dynasty in the 80's, the Rangers won one in '94 and have been one of the better teams to not win a SC in the cap era, the Mets won a pennant in 2015 and have 2 WS rings, the Devils won 3 chips behind Marty over the last 2 decades, and the Nets made back-to-back finals in the early 2000's falling to the Spurs and Lakers dynasties

Even Tampa Bay: Lightning won a cup in 2004 and it's almost a foregone conclusion they'll win one within the next year or two, Bucs won the SB in 2003, Rays won a pennant in 2008, and assuming they cheer for a Florida team in basketball, the Heat have won 3 since 2006 and the Magic made a finals behind Dwight in 2009.

Montreal: Won 24 Stanley Cups (most in NHL and 2nd most by any sports team in NA behind the NYY), and the Expos were a good team for most of their existence, but the differing playoff format back in the day cost them many playoff appearances

Again, it's about winning championships. I know a lot of these cities have experienced gut-wrenching losses too, but they've made up for them by winning championships. With Toronto, they seem to lose in heartbreaking/humiliating fashion each time they make the playoffs, and then regress back to mediocrity. Toronto is also like the 3rd or 4th largest city in Canada and the US, but their sports teams have always gotten outplayed by cities that are considerably smaller than theirs

Last edited:
Reactions: phillipmike

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Aren't the Raptors in first in the NBA?

Aren't the Leafs in second in the NHL?

Didn't the Leafs just win a lottery bestowing them with a generational talent?

Who cares about baseball?

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
I completely disagree.

Ya, but you are a negative complainer who makes things up to fit your agenda.

Things are the best they have ever been for Toronto sports fans yet we still have threads like this.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Ya, but you are a negative complainer who makes things up to fit your agenda.

Things are the best they have ever been for Toronto sports fans yet we still have threads like this.

Ya, but you are an ultimate cheerleader. You love everything and every team. Meanwhile the leafs can't win a playoff round and the Raptors can't get past LeBron James.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
The fact that this is the best the leafs have been in living memory is kinda sad [1], and the Raptors are not winning a title with Gsw healthy and around[2], plus having a Canadian team winning in basketball is easily the NBA commissioner's biggest nightmare[3]

1) They’re super exciting to watch, competitive, skilled, and lots of promise for the future too. I struggle to see where you’d find that shameful...

2) They just beat GS and there are never guarantees of being fully healthy in the post-season. A fully healthy Toronto vs a fully healthy GS seems pretty evenly matched. I don’t see another team in the same area code as those two.

3) Why would they have a team in Toronto if they would feel that way if they won? Actually it’s the same concept as Bettman having a team in Florida or Arizona. It’s about growing the game and expanding outside your normal markets.

The NHL has done a much better job of this via Bettman and there’s a reason the league is doing better than it ever has. And we are seeing the benefits of that plan first-hand because of Auston Matthews (who grew up in Arizona, played hockey in Arizona...).

The same is true if Toronto wins. First off, every other team’s fans would be off-the-wall happy because GS didn’t win another title, and it helps gain attention for the NBA in non-traditional markets (even though it’s the birthplace of BBL...).

It’s a win-win for the NBA for Toronto to be having success.

Media would be likely off-the-charts too as you’d have a lot more Canadians tuning in to a TOR-GS final and like I said before, everyone wants to see GS lose, they don’t care if it isn’t their team.

Plat87

Nov 22, 2018
The NBA is the closest thing to WWE, they got a pecking order on who gets the calls and the Raptors are STILL near the bottom. It should be renamed the NBE - National Basketball Entertainment.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Ya, but you are an ultimate cheerleader. You love everything and every team. Meanwhile the leafs can't win a playoff round and the Raptors can't get past LeBron James.

There's actually been quite a bit of successful sports towns in NA, along with Boston. Although none are as prolific as Bo-town, they've still had considerable success in sports over the years

The Bay Area: Warriors are the middle of one of basketball's greatest dynasties, Giants have won 3 WS since 2010, 49ers are one of the NFL's most decorated franchises with 5 SB to their name, and the Sharks have been the best team in the cap era to not win a cup, although they made a Cup Final losing to a loaded Pens team

Chicago: Bulls won 6 chips including 2 three-peats with the GOAT, Blackhawks have won 3 cups since 2010, Cubs won a WS in 2016, and the White Sox won one in 2005. The Bears also won a SB in the 80's and made it to the SB not too long ago

Pittsburgh: Penguins and Steelers are two of hockey and football's most successful franchises, respectively. Steelers have 6 SB (most all time), Pens won 5 cups (most in the last 30 years), and the Pirates have about 5/6 WS too

Los Angeles/Anaheim: Lakers have won 5 rings since 2000 and 16 in total (2nd most ever), Kings have won 2 SC since 2012, Angels won a ring in 2002, Ducks won in 2007, the Dodgers have been to the past 2 WS while also being one of the baseball's most valuable franchises and the Rams are in prime position to become SB champs this year

The Texas trio - San Antonio, Dallas, and Houston: Spurs have won 5 rings since 1999, Cowboys have 5 SBs, Mavs pulled off one of the most epic title runs ever in 2011, Rockets repeated in the mid 90s with Hakeem, and the Astros won the WS just last year. Texas is also a prime hotspot for College sports too but that's for a different discussion

Detroit: one of the more underrated sports cities in the continent. Red Wings have won 11 cups including 4 between 1997-2008 while also making the playoffs for like 25 yrs in a row, the Pistons have 3 since the late 80's including one in 2004 and were the East's best team for most of the 2000's, and the Tigers have made it to multiple WS over the last 10 years. The lions are the only LOL in Detroit sports

Denver: Broncos won 3 SBs since the late 90's including one with Manning a couple years ago, Avalanche won 2 in the late 90's/2000's, Rockies won a pennant not too long ago, and the Nuggets are on the up-rise.

NYC metro area: Can't forget New York. The Yankees have 27 rings (most by any sports team in NA) including 5 since the late 90's, the Giants have won 4 SB, Islanders were a dynasty in the 80's, the Rangers won one in '94 and have been one of the better teams to not win a SC in the cap era, the Mets won a pennant in 2015 and have 2 WS rings, the Devils won 3 chips behind Marty over the last 2 decades, and the Nets made back-to-back finals in the early 2000's falling to the Spurs and Lakers dynasties

Even Tampa Bay: Lightning won a cup in 2004 and it's almost a foregone conclusion they'll win one within the next year or two, Bucs won the SB in 2003, Rays won a pennant in 2008, and assuming they cheer for a Florida team in basketball, the Heat have won 3 since 2006 and the Magic made a finals behind Dwight in 2009.

Montreal: Won 24 Stanley Cups (most in NHL and 2nd most by any sports team in NA behind the NYY), and the Expos were a good team for most of their existence, but the differing playoff format back in the day cost them many playoff appearances

Again, it's about winning championships. I know a lot of these cities have experienced gut-wrenching losses too, but they've made up for them by winning championships. With Toronto, they seem to lose in heartbreaking/humiliating fashion each time they make the playoffs, and then regress back to mediocrity. Toronto is also like the 3rd or 4th largest city in Canada and the US, but their sports teams have always gotten outplayed by cities that are considerably smaller than theirs

And Toronto has 13 Stanley Cup wins and 2 World Series wins, if you want to start listing off what franchises have done lately. The Bulls have looked like shit since Jordan retired... at the end of the 90's. The Canadians haven't won jack since 1993; that was 25 years ago.

the Tigers have made it to multiple WS over the last 10 years

BUT haven't won a single one. And now they're suffering from a decade of selling off up-and-coming young players to try and extend their "championship chances"...

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
1) They’re super exciting to watch, competitive, skilled, and lots of promise for the future too. I struggle to see where you’d find that shameful...

2) They just beat GS and there are never guarantees of being fully healthy in the post-season. A fully healthy Toronto vs a fully healthy GS seems pretty evenly matched. I don’t see another team in the same area code as those two.

3) Why would they have a team in Toronto if they would feel that way if they won? Actually it’s the same concept as Bettman having a team in Florida or Arizona. It’s about growing the game and expanding outside your normal markets.

The NHL has done a much better job of this via Bettman and there’s a reason the league is doing better than it ever has. And we are seeing the benefits of that plan first-hand because of Auston Matthews (who grew up in Arizona, played hockey in Arizona...).

The same is true if Toronto wins. First off, every other team’s fans would be off-the-wall happy because GS didn’t win another title, and it helps gain attention for the NBA in non-traditional markets (even though it’s the birthplace of BBL...).

It’s a win-win for the NBA for Toronto to be having success.

Media would be likely off-the-charts too as you’d have a lot more Canadians tuning in to a TOR-GS final and like I said before, everyone wants to see GS lose, they don’t care if it isn’t their team.
1. They're an exciting team but they haven't won or proven anything yet (i.e. they've won zero playoff series)
2. The Warriors were missing a 2x MVP and he greatest shooter ever in Steph Curry, a DPOY candidate in Draymond Green and when healthy, arguably the best centre in the league in Boogie Cousins. If they're even 50% healthy, no team realistically stands a chance against GSW
3. The amount of calls that go against the Raps, especially in the playoffs, proves exactly why the league doesn't want them to make it far. It would be MUCH better for the NBA as a business if the finals was say Philly vs GSW or Boston vs GSW since they know the league will get more money and have easier marketability if it were an all-American finals. Yea they'll gain some Canadian fans but having a Canadian team make the finals could be detrimental to the views in America cuz now American fans have to choose between the Warriors winning another title or a Canadian team winning at "their sport," in other words that'd be a lose-lose situation for most US fans. Ultimately, the leagues doesn't want to lose American viewers in the playoffs at the expense of a Canadian teams presence. In terms of why they have a team, well they were about to until Vince Carter took the league by storm in the early 2000's, and after that it became impossible for them to be relocated.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->