Can Toronto Sports ever catch a break?

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
Man tonight was yet another reminder as to why being a Toronto sports fan can be a suffering experience. I just finished watching the Raptors vs Nuggets game which ended on a bogus call in favour of Denver, and I thought to myself...man Toronto sports teams always have things backfire on them during the biggest moments, whether it's self-inflicted or cuz of the officials, although its mostly the former, let's be real here.

The Leafs overall have been a laughing stock franchise for the last half century plus, and every time they make it to the playoffs, something bad always happens. Whether it's Wayne Gretzky in 1993, blowing a 4-1 lead in the 3rd against Boston in 2013, coughing up lead after lead against Washington in 2017, and once again, choking in the third against Boston just last year.

Blue Jays went 22 years without making the playoffs, and the one time they did in 2015, they had a mix of questionable calls go against them against KC, while also hitting like absolute crap with RISP in game 6 of the 2015 ALCS.

The Raptors have also been one of the unluckiest teams in the NBA too. Literally every star refuses to play here: Stoudemire left immediately, Camby same thing, Tmac same thing, Carter forced a trade, Bosh also went running the first chance he got and now Leonard is likely gone next summer as well. They've also lost gut-wrenching games such as the 2001 Sixer-Raps series, 2014 Nets-Raps series (which also featured questionable calls against the raps), and getting pip smacked three years in a row by LBJ. I also remember T Ross getting robbed of a game winner a couple years back, and that's just one of many instances.

Even TFC has a habit of choking. After finally becoming relevant for once, they lost an MLS Cup final and Champions league finals both in a shootout, in typical Toronto style. And of course, they fell off just one year later

The lack of winning, execution in the clutch, and unluckiness revolving around their team's players decisions, and some questionable calls are just some of the reasons why Toronto is a tragic sports town and being a fan of its sports teams is just...tough.

Any other Toronto fans feel the same way? Any fans of other sports cities who suffer from similar fates feel the same way too?

Last edited:
Reactions: NiftyMits and AreBe

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
TFC win the triple crown last year.

Raps are the best they've ever been. They've run into a generational player in the playoffs the last few years.

Jay's came off consecutive ASLC appearances but are now re- tooling

Leafs are one of the most exciting young teams in the league, with some of the best players in the world and have a chance to be a legit contender for the foreseeable future.

The real question is. Why are you complaining???? Why can't you just get over the past and enjoy the moment.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Marlies, Toronto FC, and Argos all won championships over the last year, Leafs/Raptors are both legitimate contenders (well, I'm not sure Raptors can beat Golden State in the Finals, but they're legit final contenders), and the Blue Jays have one of the best baseball prospects from the last 10-15 years in their system.

I'd say it's a pretty good time to be a Toronto sports fan.

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
I feel confident about the Leafs - something I've never felt before. it's an adjustment. Kind of like always concerned my kids are going to fall because they're learning how to walk.

Reactions: The Cobra

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Toronto Sports in general seems to be healthy.

I only question Jays fans. That recent run they had was so delusional and misleading. They are going to hurt for a very long time I'm afraid.

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton

I only question Jays fans. That recent run they had was so delusional and misleading. They are going to hurt for a very long time I'm afraid.

Delusional and misleading? Holy over analyzation.

It was fun as hell. The team was old. Now they're in a retool/rebuild/(insert word here for getting younger).

Why do people hate when teams have any success? They didn't win a championship. But rejuvenated the baseball fans in this entire country and left us with long lasting memories and memorable players.

And they may hurt but also have arguable the entire sports best prospect on the verge of hitting the Major Leagues as a potential future perennial all star.

There have been worse teams to follow over the last decade that's for sure.

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013
Oi Oi Oi.
Look - the NBA was on death's door in the early 1980's.
The NBA developed the star system. The stars are the stars and the not- stars are not stars, and stars get to travel, double drible, and foul and are not allowed to be touched. That all star dunk? It's a travel and a double dribble. That all star defense, it's called grabbing the guy's elbow.

Every team got a star- the face of the franchise to build around

The stars had to show up to every car dealership and store opening and live remote and talk about "We love it here in Tursdville. Don't know where we would rather be" (biting tongue to not say 'other than New York, LA, Chicago, Miami, San Francisco, or home" etc)

Star system worked. And TV ratings went up.

Boy Scouts league is finished- star system is in . Boy Scouts lead to death's door. Star system to a TV deal

Boston has always been the northeast team, and not New York.
Boston and LA start winning - TV ratings go thru the roof.

TV cuts big fat checks to the NBA, and although smart enough to not forward written memos, the Ivy League MBA accountant lawyer types at the TV networks know how to write or speak to the Ivy League MBA accountant lawyer types at the NBA about mutual interests and need to consider interests of partners. The networks absolutely do not need to tell the NBA that it is better if big markets win - there is no need for big fat crayon bristol board signs. No need for smoke signals. No need for sign language or a talk over drinks. They all get it and are all on the same page, cut from the same cloth.

Result- big market teams have vastly greater- not close- vastly greater success than small or like Toronto, zero market teams. Only non - huge city winners I think have been San Antonio, Detroit, and Miami- all other winners have been from top 10 TV markets - Not an accident. List of United States television markets - Wikipedia

Last edited:

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
That Raptors-Nets series had me livid. Amir was playing the game of his life so the refs tossed him with a bunch of iffy calls.

Reactions: AreBe

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
You already made a thread like this on the main board.

Is Toronto the saddest sports city in North America?

I’m not sure what you want. To wallow in misery or is this some Trojan Horse post to talk smack about Toronto sports?

Yeah. This guy caught on to you TS.

Ts...Get outta here. Go back to crappy nowhere ville. 3rd largest city in North America. Largest in Canada. Nothing comes close.

Everything thats relevant happens HERE.

Get. Outta here. Wherever your from lol.

Toronto people dont talk like that.

Go leafs!!!

Reactions: The Rural Jooris

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013
Yeah. This guy caught on to you TS.

Ts...Get outta here. Go back to crappy nowhere ville. 3rd largest city in North America. Largest in Canada. Nothing comes close.

Everything thats relevant happens HERE.

Get. Outta here. Wherever your from lol.

Toronto people dont talk like that.

Go leafs!!!
And still a ZERO market . Fact. Few things worse than Toronto advancing in the playoffs- catastrophic for TV - not bad, catastrophic. Milwaukee advancing is bad, Toronto advancing is catastrophic.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
we may have had some bad calls go against the city of Toronto but every city has, but some of the stuff your talking about wasn't bad luck, blowing a 4-1 lead to the Bruins in 2013 wasn't bad luck. the team folded under pressure, they were never good enough to go anywhere.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
I've seen the Jays win the WS, and have seen the Argos win multiple Grey Cups. Since I don't care about the Raptors, and care even less about TFC, all that is left is for the Leafs to win the SC in my lifetime (which hopefully gives them many, many more years in which to accomplish that).

Reactions: Trawna Phan

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON

They have a top 5 farm, despite what one MLB analyst insists, and one of the most exciting prospects in all of baseball in recent memory. Remember when the Leafs were bad but we had Auston, Willy, and Mitch waiting to come in, the Blue Jays position really isn't that different if Vlad, Bo and others progress as expected.

And as someone else commented, that "delusional and misleading" run was some of the most entertaining sports I've ever seen, they had a very legitimate chance to win the series in 2015.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
I personally find the timing of this thread a little odd, the Raptors are 20-5 and 1st overall in the NBA, the Leafs are 19-8-0 and 3rd overall in the NHL. TFC are the reigning MLS Champions and so are the Marlies in the AHL, the Argo's won the Grey Cup in 2017.

This is the best that Toronto's sports teams have been in a long long time.

Sure some would say TO teams have suffered bad calls but that can be said about every other city too, at least this city has a major league championship that isn't in black in white, the 92' and 93' back to back Blue Jays will never be forgotten by anyone.

No point looking in the past when the future looks so bright.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Cobra

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->