Globe and Mail: Can Tim Leiweke save the Toronto Maple Leafs?

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...ave-the-maple-leafs/article14983224/?page=all

Tim Leiweke may have one of the hardest jobs in corporate Canada: turning Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment’s sad-sack franchises into legitimate contenders. Though rolling in profit, MLSE has failed to win where it matters: on the ice, on the pitch and on the court. The Leafs have gone 46 years without a Stanley Cup, Toronto FC has yet to produce a winning season, and the Raptors can’t keep talent long enough to build a team.

Enter Leiweke, a 56-year-old, straight-talking St. Louis native who spent the last 17 years shaping Los Angeles-based Anschutz Entertainment Group (AEG) into a championship factory, with titles from basketball’s Lakers, hockey’s Kings and soccer’s Galaxy. Now, Leiweke’s being asked to do the same for Canada’s richest sports conglomerate. The man doesn’t lack self-confidence. Soon after touching down in Toronto, he began talking about parade routes for the Stanley Cup celebration, and suggested the Leafs take down old photos of former greats and start living in the present. Not surprisingly in sports-mad Toronto, controversy ensued.

Leiweke says he regrets being so bold (well, sort of). But as the new CEO of MLSE, he understands just how big this job is: a complete rebuild of a long-neglected corporate structure. The future of some of MLSE’s key assets may depend on it. Job one, he argues, is for the organization to start acting—and talking—like it wants to win again.

Mindrust

Feb 28, 2013
First thing he can do is get rid of his golden boy Bodie and bring in Devanne. At least Devanne fought.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Typical losery Toronto rhetoric. Even if every team in the NHL is guaranteed a cup it will take 30 years to give them out to everybody, so winning a cup is difficult! Shut the **** up about an executive leading the team to the promised land. It takes managerial cunning, years of planning, development, budgeting, good luck and the right circumstances to become a champion.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Well he's doing the important things like removing the old players, hiring family members and honouring Bon Jovi so it's all good.

Patience

Sep 8, 2013
You forgot the parade route planning.

These executives who don't fade into the background are the ones I worry about the most. They are too concerned with their personal image and not the image of the hockey club. There's too much temptation to make bold, risky moves in place of steady, carefully thought out decisions. Maybe, just maybe, he'll ultimately be smarter than average realizing that bluster works better in the U.S. and adjust his style appropriately.

Feb 24, 2004
You forgot the parade route planning.

These executives who don't fade into the background are the ones I worry about the most. They are too concerned with their personal image and not the image of the hockey club. There's too much temptation to make bold, risky moves in place of steady, carefully thought out decisions. Maybe, just maybe, he'll ultimately be smarter than average realizing that bluster works better in the U.S. and adjust his style appropriately.

Agreed. Burke was similar.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
If I were a person who has pshaw-ed the notion that maybe, possibly, Leaf ownership's top priority wasn't the Stanley Cup over the years, the below quote might perhaps provide pause:

We cannot be afraid of winning. For too long here, we’ve been afraid of expectations, and they’ve crushed us. We’ve been afraid of winning, and it has destroyed us. Great organizations don’t back down from the challenge. I learned that with the Lakers. The Lakers are not afraid to admit that they are expected to win. We need to have that kind of culture here.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Personally, I would prefer if Leiweke stays as far from the Leafs as possible. I trust Nonis to build the organization.

Leiweke can save his publicity stunts for the Raptors and TFC. The Leafs are a traditional brand in this market that he simply doesn't understand.

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
Personally, I would prefer if Leiweke stays as far from the Leafs as possible. I trust Nonis to build the organization.

Leiweke can save his publicity stunts for the Raptors and TFC. The Leafs are a traditional brand in this market that he simply doesn't understand.

Leiweke has already said that Nonis has the freedom to make his own moves

TML 13

Oct 19, 2013
Leiweke is a real executive. He will remove the loser mentality from TOR sports. Peddie was interested in money. Leiweke cares about winning. Big difference

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Leiweke has already said that Nonis has the freedom to make his own moves

Yes, I realize that. It's his other shenanigans regarding the Leafs that I have taken issue with.

Like I said, the Leafs are an iconic, historic brand in this market. Tim Leiweke's bluster is really unnecessary, and quite frankly, it's embarrassing at times.

All this city wants is a competitive team. Leave the publicity stunts in Los Angeles.

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
Yes, I realize that. It's his other shenanigans regarding the Leafs that I have taken issue with.

Like I said, the Leafs are an iconic, historic brand in this market. Tim Leiweke's bluster is really unnecessary, and quite frankly, it's embarrassing at times.

All this city wants is a competitive team. Leave the publicity stunts in Los Angeles.

I have my opinion on whether changing the brand has its validity or not but that's another story

I think you need to give Leiweke some leeway. He is a rookie here and his impact wont be known for a few years at least. Plus, didn't he apologize for some of his comments about taking the old pictures down, etc?

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Why do these Americans have such a hard time understanding you don't have to sell the game in Tor . If I were to take control of the NY Yankees I wouldn't have a problem understanding selling the brand or baseball in NY would be the least of my concerns .

I don't need to hear bs about changing the culture or not to be afraid of winning or whatever crap they decide to pull out of their butts . Just build a freaking cup team and Leaf Nation will be forever grateful .

leafstilldeath*

Next thing you know Justin Bieber will be dropping pucks at the ACC after Drake sings the National Anthem.

That will be the day I will be hospitalized for alcohol poisoning and officially break my no vomit streak of 4 years

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
While I like his attitude, I think it's time that he shut the **** up. Ever since he's been hired there's been articles every month with him saying the same thing over and over again.

SteveV*

This guy has a bigger ego than Burke, minus any idea about hockey whatsoever, he actually scares me. Shut up already Tim, go count beans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad