Votes: 21 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 26 41.3%
  • Who knows?

Votes: 16 25.4%

• Total voters

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
The spirit of the question leads me to say no, though it's hockey and hockey is random as hell. As I have mentioned in other threads I think the team as it stands is a bubble playoff team next year. It wouldn't shock me if they missed the playoffs next year especially with Gallant coaching the Rangers and them being linked to Eichel. I also imagine Pittsburgh and Carolina will also be looking to add, and the Islanders under Trotz are still a better overall team.

The Capitals need to add a significant player to their core, preferably a center, and if they do I think they can be competitive. But as it stands, tweaking here and there and simply hoping for better injury luck isn't going to cut it IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rayquaza64

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
They could win another one. They'd have to stay healthy, get some bounces as well as some favourable playoff matches. Maybe make a trade or two that worked out well. Have one of the two goaltenders step up.

Is it probable? I'd say no. Is it possible? Certainly.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Eichel seems very likely headed West. My guess is Anaheim for the third pick and a little something else. Carolina may end up losing Hamilton so we'll see. It's early. NYI/CAR should remain fairly strong, PIT will be relevant and NYR are ascendant. MacLellan needs to build them with enough grit to prevail over NYI but also enough pace to match (or at least survive) against CAR/PIT/NYR. Speed and sense should be the biggest priorities but who knows how much they'll change in a flat cap environment.

I don't think the core quite has the drive and they haven't drafted well enough to be rejuvenated with sorely needed complementary pace, skill and hunger. Their pro scouting also hasn't picked up the slack 100% so it's probably unlikely but you never know. It's conceivable with a perfect sequence of moves and some of their youth making huge strides they could go on a run. I don't know if they have the fortitude for a really deep run but I don't think the balance of power league-wide has completely shifted away from them. They've got a lot to sort out and not tons of time to do so. I'm not sure the timing aligns, mostly because I don't get the sense management is totally on point in order to more strongly offset a core group that's not what it was.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Point of order...the thread title and the poll title ask opposite questions. I had to do a double take and re-read the poll question before answering.

itsjustsurvival

These are my last, last words
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2006
richmond, virginia.
I feel like Ovechkin's contract being finalized will make that more clear. If he takes less and gives them flexibility to bring in more talent, then I think there is some hope. If he takes what he is "worth", then it could be a different story. And that's not saying I don't think he's worth every penny of whatever number he gets.

Reactions: Corby78

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Imagine a season where Ov still scores 50, the good Kuzy shows up, Oshie is still Oshie and Samsonov is an actual stud goalie.

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
As long as this team is 95% healthy going into the playoffs and we have good goal tending, we will have a shot. Look at the Aisles, Habs, and Canes. Not powerhouse teams, but good teamwork, goal tending, and hunger go a long way with the amount of parity in this league.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Yes, but they need some young players to play above their Cap Hit.

Last edited:

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
You never know. I don't think they are close to the top contenders but if things go right to plan they are right back in for atleast next season. They need to nail the Kuznetsov trade to perfection and acquire another Conn Smythe candidate and they need Samsonov to go straight to being Vezina contending goalie along with some savvy moves in the summer and deadline.

Anything can happen. Just look at the Habs.

Eirikrautha

In 1956, Mao Zedong created the "Hundred Flowers" campaign, where the Chinese communist party encouraged the citizens of the country to criticize the party and the government, under the theory of improving the country. Whether it was his original intent, or just a reaction to the massive waves of criticism the party received, shortly after the campaign ended, the government rounded up critics and brutally punished them, sending many to re-education camps and "disappearing" countless others.

It is my secret hope that this thread is exactly the same thing, only directed at the constant nattering nabobs of negativity that infest these boards. A sort of verbal trap for those who I would swear, based on their posts, seem to enjoy a Capitals loss more than a Capitals victory. Perhaps the mods are just cleverly recording all of the "fans" who constantly seem to denigrate the Caps at every turn. Bǎihuā qífàng, bǎijiā zhēngmíng. Let the purge commence!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad