Can they sign women?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Disco Volante said:
Kim St-Pierre could be a really good and cheap goalie for a team... I'd go with an all-star at 5M$ (Lindros), a goon that can skate on each line, and women for all my finesse players.

That would be a great team to watch. :)

She would get shelled.

Disco Volante

Mar 11, 2002
2nd to FloydianSlip
Visit site
La-La-Laprise said:
She would get shelled.

You really think so? I think she can easily handle the low-AHL caliber players that will end up in this league. And for the few ones that will actually be threats... I don't know, I fail to see goalies really better than her that would come as cheap and that wouldn't be young rookies (that would leave for the NHL anyway).

Maybe I just overrate women's hockey ;)

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
i'm sure they can sign women to whatever they want, but the question is: can they let them play? :D

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Disco Volante said:
You really think so? I think she can easily handle the low-AHL caliber players that will end up in this league. And for the few ones that will actually be threats... I don't know, I fail to see goalies really better than her that would come as cheap and that wouldn't be young rookies (that would leave for the NHL anyway).

No matter what the result it would be fun and exciting to see her try.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Bileur said:
No matter what the result it would be fun and exciting to see her try.

Indeed. I don't see why a woman goaltender can't do well in a men's league, especially a league like the WHA. Of course, I don't know a damn thing about her, so I can't say particularly if she is good enough.

It isn't like she is skating open ice by Scott Stevens.

sandman441

Jan 25, 2003
ALASKA
Indeed. I don't see why a woman goaltender can't do well in a men's league, especially a league like the WHA.

Now before you flame me I never saw manon rheaume play goalie in the nhl and I am basing it on that she did play for a nhl team (lightning I think) but I saw her play in the ECHL? anyway the anchorage aces were facing the las vegas renegades? anyway she got shelled for about half the game she let in somewhere close to 10 goals. This was early to mid nineties

Disco Volante

Mar 11, 2002
2nd to FloydianSlip
Visit site
sandman441 said:
Indeed. I don't see why a woman goaltender can't do well in a men's league, especially a league like the WHA.

Now before you flame me I never saw manon rheaume play goalie in the nhl and I am basing it on that she did play for a nhl team (lightning I think) but I saw her play in the ECHL? anyway the anchorage aces were facing the las vegas renegades? anyway she got shelled for about half the game she let in somewhere close to 10 goals. This was early to mid nineties

Yeah, as far as I know, St-Pierre played a few games this year for McGill's men team (the Redmen), and she got shelled too. She finished with a 4.97 GAA and .824 s%. That's pretty bad in this league (the starting goalie for the Redmens was 2.88 and 907s%). But she played only 3 games (1-2-0) on a pretty bad team. I still think she could compete against men...

I heard she'll be on the Making the cut show. I guess we'll see.

Zetterberg4Captain*

i dunno but its most likely no teams will take the chance and sign a girl. Im not saying they shouldnt im just saying they wont. BTW Girls can participate on Makng the cut?

Jim

Mar 11, 2002
Rochester NY
sandman441 said:

Dude she played for the NHL for one period in a pre-season game before all the rookies and guys who got cut where sent down. She let in like 4 or 5 goals in the one period from guys who weren't nhl, and some not ahl calibre. I know one of the guys who was with the organization management at that time, and they weren't giving her a serious look....it was a publicity stint....and it worked quite well I think.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Disco Volante said:

No she coudlnt. And the WHA isnt Low claiber AHL. The guys they picked are NHLers and AHL players who are top of their teams.

Zetterberg4Captain*

BS buddy. How the hell do u know Quebec is about to fold. I dont think so. Stop trying to get attention

Beatnik

Sep 2, 2002
Québec
Visit site
La-La-Laprise said:
They cant find a place to play.

Between the Remparts and Quebec Semi Pro they cant get a lease done with Colisee.

While i think it will fold very fast (couple of week after the end of the lock out.), it's been confirmed that the colisée organisation is more interested in them than the Semi-pro.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Jim said:
Dude she played for the NHL for one period in a pre-season game before all the rookies and guys who got cut where sent down. She let in like 4 or 5 goals in the one period from guys who weren't nhl, and some not ahl calibre. I know one of the guys who was with the organization management at that time, and they weren't giving her a serious look....it was a publicity stint....and it worked quite well I think.
I'm pretty sure she let in two goals. And one of them was from Brendan Shanahan.

sandman441

Jan 25, 2003
ALASKA
clefty said:
I'm pretty sure she let in two goals. And one of them was from Brendan Shanahan.

Manon suited up for the Tampa Bay Lightning in a preseason game against the St. Louis Blues. She stopped 7 of the 9 shots aimmed at her off the sticks of the Blues players. Only Jeff Brown's 35-foot screamer and Brendan Shanahan's one-timer found net behind the goalie. With her full period of play, she impressed many people and made hockey history.

Zetterberg4Captain*

nomorekids said:
she's in Finland's equivalent of the AHL...which talentwise is below our ECHL. I think she'd get lit up like a cheap christmas tree, if she tried to play in the WHA.

I Agree :teach:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad