Can there be a tie for the Calder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

emjking

Apr 3, 2003
Visit site
I was wondering if there has ever been or could be a tie for the Calder. There are I think 4 that should be clear cut frontrunners for the Calder based on play up to this date in time:

AO
Crosby
H. Lundquist (sp)
Phaneuf (sp)

All the others such as Svatos, Prucha

Is it paossible that their could be a 2 or 3 way tie?

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Its never happened before, I don't see why they'd start this year.

It's possible but very unlikely.

The members of the PHWA vote on the Calder. There were 105 voters last season and they get to fill out a ballot from 1st to 5th place, with varying amount of points for each placing.

1st place - 10 points
2nd place - 7 points
3rd place - 5 points
4th place - 3 ponts
5th place - 1 point

The player with the most points wins the award. And if there's a tie in the number of points, the player with the most 1st place votes will win the tiebreaker. So, as you can see it would take a bit of a fluke to tie for the award. Which, is why it has never happened before.

As an aside, the closest Calder race ever was back in 1963 when Kent Douglas beat Doug Barkley by 1 point.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Doomsday Device said:
As an aside, the closest Calder race ever was back in 1963 when Kent Douglas beat Doug Barkley by 1 point.
How did they ever decide who the least worst player was between those two?

Hockey-Freak

Apr 18, 2005
There was never a reason for, there will never be a reason for and this year is no exception. The trophy goes to THE BEST rookie of the year and not to the two best or 20 or any other number. As of now, there is simlpy no chance that Ovechkin doesn´t get it. Simply because he is one of the 3 or 4 most dominant players in the entire NHL. Sidney Crosby is not in that group of players because I don´t see the ability in him to win nearly every game by himself. In my mind Even Phaneuf, Svatos and Lundqvist are ahead of Crosby in this category.

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
No, there should be only one winner....

At this point AO is in the lead, and I would put Lundqvist and Phaneuf ahead of Crosby (Sorry but I don't think the kid is ahead of these 3), Crosby and Svatos are 4 and 5.

emjking

Apr 3, 2003
Visit site
Doomsday Device said:
It's possible but very unlikely.

The members of the PHWA vote on the Calder. There were 105 voters last season and they get to fill out a ballot from 1st to 5th place, with varying amount of points for each placing.

1st place - 10 points
2nd place - 7 points
3rd place - 5 points
4th place - 3 ponts
5th place - 1 point

The player with the most points wins the award. And if there's a tie in the number of points, the player with the most 1st place votes will win the tiebreaker. So, as you can see it would take a bit of a fluke to tie for the award. Which, is why it has never happened before.

Thanks for the info.

Hockey-Freak

Apr 18, 2005
I´ve to add to my upper post, that I definitely believe Crosby will be a great impact player and franchise center - no question to me! But nearly 2 years younger than Ovechkin who is already a franchise winger, it´s not a fair contest. Lets compare the 05/06 Ovechkin to the 07/08 Crosby, than we have answered the question who of this two is the better player. But the Calder goes to the best Rookie, and that´s very clearly Ovechkin.
The only chance he wouldn´t get would be a standout playoff performance of Lundqvist or Phaneuf.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
AnThGrt said:
It shouldn't be necessary not to turn this into a bash thread but I think AO is the clearcut front runner

Not to take away from your opinion, but Lundqvist is now 1st in the league in save percentage and second in the league in goals against average. He's also on pace for over 30 wins.

Right now I think it's AO by a hair, followed by Lundqvist. Crosby, Phaneuf and Svatos round out the top 5.

nyr7andcounting

Feb 24, 2004
The Calder SHOULD be given to the best rookie player this season. Not the rookie with the most hype or the most potential. So Crosby shouldn't win it.

AO- has better numbers on a worse team and a slightly more complete player this year.
Lundqvist- not the best rookie goalie, the best goalie period. He's #2.
Phaneuf- close with Crosby. I'll give him the edge because it's very hard to play D as a rookie, especially a young rookie like him. Plays in all situations, complete player already, does put up points.
Crosby- the biggest star, but not the best player yet.
Svatos/Prucha- whichever ends up with more points gets the 5th place vote. They're basically the same player.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Hockey-Freak said:
I´ve to add to my upper post, that I definitely believe Crosby will be a great impact player and franchise center - no question to me! But nearly 2 years younger than Ovechkin who is already a franchise winger, it´s not a fair contest. Lets compare the 05/06 Ovechkin to the 07/08 Crosby, than we have answered the question who of this two is the better player. But the Calder goes to the best Rookie, and that´s very clearly Ovechkin.
The only chance he wouldn´t get would be a standout playoff performance of Lundqvist or Phaneuf.

Playoffs do not factor in to Calder voting. It is based on regular season only. Conn Smythe is the playoff performance award.

Grave77digger

Feb 27, 2004
profiles.sports.yahoo.com
Hockey-Freak said:

I agree with this guy. Its obvious that the older player is more developed all around. Thats why everyone set the bar so high for Malkin when he was drafted being nearly 1 year younger than Ovechkin. Im a Pens fan but to be honest I prefer Ovechkin RIGHT NOW over Crosby. When The Croz is 20 we will compare how the stats match up.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
nyr7andcounting said:
The Calder SHOULD be given to the best rookie player this season. Not the rookie with the most hype or the most potential. So Crosby shouldn't win it.

AO- has better numbers on a worse team and a slightly more complete player this year.
Lundqvist- not the best rookie goalie, the best goalie period. He's #2.
Phaneuf- close with Crosby. I'll give him the edge because it's very hard to play D as a rookie, especially a young rookie like him. Plays in all situations, complete player already, does put up points.
Crosby- the biggest star, but not the best player yet.
Svatos/Prucha- whichever ends up with more points gets the 5th place vote. They're basically the same player.

:handclap:

David

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
nomorekids said:
No, you've got that confused with The Highlander.

There can be like, 36 Calder Trophy winners.

But only one Duncan MacCleod.
:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

This is the kind of humour we have been lacking on these boards recently! Witty and hilarious...Good one!

Randall Graves*

Hockey-Freak said:
There was never a reason for, there will never be a reason for and this year is no exception. The trophy goes to THE BEST rookie of the year and not to the two best or 20 or any other number. As of now, there is simlpy no chance that Ovechkin doesn´t get it. Simply because he is one of the 3 or 4 most dominant players in the entire NHL. Sidney Crosby is not in that group of players because I don´t see the ability in him to win nearly every game by himself. In my mind Even Phaneuf, Svatos and Lundqvist are ahead of Crosby in this category.
Svatos plays on a winning team, and has a crapload of big goals. He has as good a case as anyone.

And then Lundvist complicates things by playing like the best goalie in the entire league.

Ovechkins the best player, but I'd say Lundqvist or Svatos have had a bigger impact..

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
In the event of a tie, the player with the most first-place votes would get the award. This happened twice in 2002 with other awards: Iginla/Theodore for the Hart and Thedore/Roy for the Vezina. Not sure what the tie-breaker is after first-place ballots.

There shouldn't be a tie-breaker. Ovechkin is the best rookie this year. Surrounding talent hasn't been the issue we thought it would be. In fact, Washington has a better record. Crosby is Pittsburgh's MVP, and many of the players around him have underperformed, or have even retired. But Crosby has better offensive talent around him than Ovechkin.

Ovechkin has been more physical (not to say Crosby has been a shrinking violet). His offensive production has been better. He has been the better player, thus deserves ROTY.

But keep in mind Ovechkin is 23 months older than Crosby. It might not seem like much to those unfamiliar with evaluating prospects, but 23 months is an eternity in terms of development for players 16-22. Ovechkin should be the better player in 2005-06. If he isn't, it would be very indicative of how these two careers will progress.

Crosby is having the best season by a true 18-year-old rookie forward (a player who is 18 throughout his entire rookie year) since Dale Hawerchuk in 1981-82. Ovechkin should be the better player for the next two or three years. But once these two reach their mid-20s, and the two-year age gap becomes less of a factor, Crosby will be the better player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad