Can the Winter Classic and the Heritage Classic co-exist?

bacon25

Unenthusiastic User
Nov 29, 2010
Group Study Room F

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Tough call.... I think there's a definite risk of dilution, especially with Canadian ratings. We may not see it this year (because the HC has yet to happen), but may see the impact next year after fans realize that there will be another one in 2 months in Toronto or whatever.

However, we must remember that the WC is an american thing, and that they're going to see very little promotion for the heritage classic.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
Yeah I'm not sure how the Heritage Classic dilutes the Winter Classic given that the focus of the Winter Classic is to get non-hockey US sports fans to tune in on New Years Day (Which is otherwise, a busy sports day for US sports fans).

Those same non-hockey US sports fans don't even know what the Heritage Classic is, let alone when it is. Since they don't even know about this other game, it can't possibly dilute the Winter Classic.

I know there is more to the WC than appealing to non-hockey US sports fans, but let's not kid ourselves: that's why this event exists. Us hockey fans get to enjoy something that isn't really marketed towards us.

Not a single Canadian TV set could be tuned to the Winter Classic and if the US ratings stay in the same ballpark, it will continue to thrive.

Last edited:

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
Another anti-Canadian rant by an American. I suspect he would also prefer that there were no Canadian teams in the NHL as well....:rant:

It's a good counterbalance to the Globe & Mail's inane weekly articles about the Coyotes that are written as though relocation to Winnipeg is a foregone conclusion.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
In Burnside's latest rant on ESPN he states that the Winter Classic is the premier event of the hockey season and that the Heritage Classic somehow takes away from the Winter Classic.

My question to the public is, can both exist or does one need to be cancelled so the other can survive?

Article Here-

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/winterclassic11/columns/story?columnist=burnside_scott&id=5971843

If they were on the same day - they'd be perfect. One game in the US and one in Canada set up to be a doubleheader to provide hockey fans something to watch all day other than bowl games.

I've said this since it was first announced... the 'Heritage Classic' is the one that should be ranted about. It's just basically a randomly picked day/game where it'll be placed outdoors.

Heck, they even put it on a day that's also being marketed as 'Hockey Day in America', and a week after the 'Hockey Day in Canada' on CBC.

So yeah, the Heritage Classic should be scrapped as currently designed.

bodybreak

Whiteshell Wild
Jul 11, 2006
Heritage Classic was here first (2003)... if anything needs to be wiped out to avoid "dilution" it'd naturally be the Winter Classic :sarcasm:

Seriously though? I haven't heard anything about the Heritage Classic since I was in Calgary this summer and they unveiled the throwback jerseys... Can't see how this is "taking away" from the Winter Classic. Canadians will tune in to the Winter Classic because it is the only hockey game on New Year's Day in the afternoon... One year (with the WJHC tournament overseas) it worked out that Team Canada had a game right before the Winter Classic (that was in its first year). It was glorious.

Burnside should be taking aim at whatever city is hosting the WJHC, should Team Canada ever have a game scheduled for 1pm ET New Year's Day (local organizers decide the schedule). That's the only conceivable way I see Canadians tuning out of the Winter Classic.

Last edited:

29dryden29

Jul 4, 2010
London Ont
I hate the fact we are turning to a yearly gimmic of an outdoor game make it every 3rd year and it may actually mean something having it every year is really getting old. The HC is on the money every few years or more and the WC should do the same not every single season it is seriously losing it's appeal. I have no desire to watch the WC not to mention I choose not to watch Cindy play unless it is the HABS that are playing the Pens.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
I have no desire to watch the WC not to mention I choose not to watch Cindy play unless it is the HABS that are playing the Pens.

Wow, how original. You think of that on your own? :laugh:

And your watching/not-watching will have no affect on NBC's broadcast ratings anyway, so enjoy your New Year's Day some other way, ok?

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
I'm not sure why there would be a question of co-existance. About the only suggestion might be to stop the silly national names, have one game each year but include sites and teams from the entire league in the rotation. While I assume Tampa or Sunrise FL can't host a game, there is nothing to keep the Lightning and Panthers from participating in another city.

The plus side of this could be games like Habs/Bruins played in either city. How about Canucks/Blackhawks??

29dryden29

Jul 4, 2010
London Ont
Wow, how original. You think of that on your own? :laugh:

And your watching/not-watching will have no affect on NBC's broadcast ratings anyway, so enjoy your New Year's Day some other way, ok?

Why yes I did lol. I will be watching the weather and laughing when the NHL has to cancel the game due to excessive water on the ice that will be priceless.

Wham City

Oct 27, 2006
Whistler
Are any fewer Americans or vice versa going to watch the Winter Classic now because of the existence of an outdoor game in Calgary two months later? I highly doubt it. For one I question how many know in the first place that the game is taking place.

It's not like the Winter Classic is some sacred organic trust American hockey fans have any great deal of ownership over. In essence the NHL simply substituted the word "Winter" for "Heritage" and made the game an annual occurrence, now who said the NHL wasn't innovative.

Last edited:

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
I hate the fact we are turning to a yearly gimmic of an outdoor game make it every 3rd year and it may actually mean something having it every year is really getting old. The HC is on the money every few years or more and the WC should do the same not every single season it is seriously losing it's appeal. I have no desire to watch the WC not to mention I choose not to watch Cindy play unless it is the HABS that are playing the Pens.

:facepalm:

When will you Canadians get it?

NBC lost the rights to the bowl games they were covering.

In order to fill the whole that was created on a day all American's sit on their ***** and watch TV, so that they could compete with the bowls airing on ABC, ESPN, and CBS, they created the Winter Classic. It is a huge money maker for NBC and the league, so unless you like seeing the cap decrease, you shouldn't be in favor of it leaving. So just ****ing stop bringing up that you think it shouldn't be as often as it dilutes, because the event wasn't created for you.

I swear, Canada acts like they are so entitled to everything that goes on in the game and if they don't like something it should just go away. No one cares that you don't have a desire to watch, because this isn't a Canadian event, it's for the US audience, so get the **** off NBC's back and just let them have their day already.

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.
Another anti-Canadian rant by an American. I suspect he would also prefer that there were no Canadian teams in the NHL as well....:rant:

I'm fairly certain Burnside is a Canadian hockey writer living in Atlanta. He also tends to be a little defensive of the Atlanta market place. I gather he likes 'ice hockey' with his southern fried chicken and grits. ;)

GHOST

OthmarAmmann

Omnishambles
Jul 7, 2010
NYC

In order to fill the whole that was created on a day all American's sit on their ***** and watch TV, so that they could compete with the bowls airing on ABC, ESPN, and CBS, they created the Winter Classic. It is a huge money maker for NBC and the league, so unless you like seeing the cap decrease, you shouldn't be in favor of it leaving. So just ****ing stop bringing up that you think it shouldn't be as often as it dilutes, because the event wasn't created for you.

I swear, Canada acts like they are so entitled to everything that goes on in the game and if they don't like something it should just go away. No one cares that you don't have a desire to watch, because this isn't a Canadian event, it's for the US audience, so get the **** off NBC's back and just let them have their day already.

Having lived in the States for several years, I'd say that entitlement is far more of an American attribute.

CorbeauNoir

Apr 13, 2010
Honestly I think their coexistence only serves to prove that the NHL's ideal situation would be to just sweep Canada under the carpet entirely. The HC reeks of being a second-tier consolation event (and with a whopping six teams to choose from they haven't even figured out a good historic matchup the two times they've hosted it). It would logistically just be so much easier and less of a pain to just keep it at one event and involve a Canadian team every 4-5 years, but I guess NBC has a hardon for some bizarre 'exposure' strategy that dosen't make any sense to begin with (exposure by hosting the game on one of the biggest football dates of the year - brilliant!). Nobody ever freaks out about the All-Star Game being hosted in Canada yet it's ultimate purpose is for exposure, why does the WC have to be different?

The Shrike

Jul 13, 2008
Toronto
...t's for the US audience, so get the **** off NBC's back and just let them have their day already.
Easy solution: have two games per year, one involving two American teams, and another involving two Canadian teams. You could hold one on New Years Day and another on Christmas Day or Eve.....you guys can have first dibs on the day. That way everyone is happy.

CorbeauNoir

Apr 13, 2010
Easy solution: have two games per year, one involving two American teams, and another involving two Canadian teams. You could hold one on New Years Day and another on Christmas Day or Eve.....you guys can have first dibs on the day. That way everyone is happy.

What next, then? Two separate All-Star Games? A separate six-team Canadian playoffs?

How about the League just be operate a single entity like it's supposed to?

Last edited:

HabsByTheBay

Dec 3, 2010
London
Honestly I think their coexistence only serves to prove that the NHL's ideal situation would be to just sweep Canada under the carpet entirely. The HC reeks of being a second-tier consolation event (and with a whopping six teams to choose from they haven't even figured out a good historic matchup the two times they've hosted it). It would logistically just be so much easier and less of a pain to just keep it at one event and involve a Canadian team every 4-5 years, but I guess NBC has a hardon for some bizarre 'exposure' strategy that dosen't make any sense to begin with (exposure by hosting the game on one of the biggest football dates of the year - brilliant!). Nobody ever freaks out about the All-Star Game being hosted in Canada yet it's ultimate purpose is for exposure, why does the WC have to be different?
It's the highest rated hockey telecast outside the Stanley Cup finals in the US; furthermore there is only one bowl game (between two big, but mediocre programs in 2010) opposing the Winter Classic on network TV. It's ideal for NBC.

CorbeauNoir

Apr 13, 2010
It's the highest rated hockey telecast outside the Stanley Cup finals in the US
Of course it is, fans of the other 22 non-participating US teams are all tuning in to that one single game - exactly like what happens during the Stanley Cup Finals. The event itself is what draws high viewership, not the teams that happen to be playing it. The ratings don't prove anything about the kind of 'exposure' the WC is giving to hockey, ratings would be just as high if they exploited a cross-border rivalry like Habs-Bruins. If a fan of the Kings clearly hasn't given a **** about watching two US teams he otherwise couldn't care less about why would he suddenly stop watching when the oldest, most storied franchise in the league is involved?

furthermore there is only one bowl game (between two big, but mediocre programs in 2010) opposing the Winter Classic on network TV.
And if you're a football fan who considers hockey a joke sport, which game are you going to watch?

Last edited:

HabsByTheBay

Dec 3, 2010
London
Of course it is, fans of the other 22 non-participating US teams are all tuning in to that one single game - exactly like what happens during the Stanley Cup Finals. The event itself is what draws high viewership, not the teams that happen to be playing it. The ratings don't prove anything about the kind of 'exposure' the WC is giving to hockey, ratings would be just as high if they exploited a cross-border rivalry like Habs-Bruins. If a fan of the Kings clearly hasn't given a **** about watching two US teams he otherwise couldn't care less about why would he suddenly stop watching when the oldest, most storied franchise in the league is involved?

And if you're a football fan who considers hockey a joke sport, which game are you going to watch?
Football fans who hate hockey aren't NBC's target audience. Sports fans who don't have an investment in Penn State-Florida/Alabama-Michigan State and are channel surfing are, and there's way more of them than the first.

bacon25

Unenthusiastic User
Nov 29, 2010
Group Study Room F

You are both right and wrong, yes the even was not created for Canadians but you missed the point of the article that I had posted, in which Burnside dismisses the Canadian version of the WC because it would somehow hurt the New Years Day game. This is the view of many Canadians is really maddening, think about it if this was turned around and the Winter Classic was being attacked because it somehow diminished the Heritage Classic.

I think both these game can co-exist or at least be molded together. I agree with your anger towards Canadians attacking NBC because it is not NBC's fault. This whole event IMO is just to make money not fans, if they wanted to spread the game they should have played this game in Phoenix or Atlanta.

bacon25

Unenthusiastic User
Nov 29, 2010
Group Study Room F
Something that came to my mind while I was perusing the reasons for the Winter Classic was that the NHL wants to spread the game to more Americans, and that is a great idea but I feel that the Heritage Classic can be used in the same way.

If I may explain, Canada's population is increasing through immigration and those coming into the country are not familiar with hockey, the Heritage Classic could then be used as a way to expose new Canadians to the sport and inadverdently to part of the Canadian cultural mosiac. In the NHL hockey market, too many fans is never a bad thing.

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006
The winter classic is such an obvious gimmick to try and gain fans, that it almost mocks the current fans. I'd rather see teams with a historic rivalry instead, but I guess if your gonna gain interest you want the two top stars to be in the game.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
You know what really dilutes the Winter Classic? Having it on at the same time as several other NHL games, which is what is going to happen now with the Winter Classic on Saturday night now. And don't say that this was unexpected because with the Winter Classic being outside they always have to prep for re-scheduling.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad