Can the sharks legitimately win this year?

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013
Coaches won't play stalock, so we would NEED Niemi to play lights out.
Our d is not solid enough. Especially if Boyle does not fully recover.
Mostly, even when fully healthy we were not finding ways to beat true contenders.

Sharks need an upgrade via trade. Or some real good bounces.

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009
Not saying the Sharks dont need any upgrade but from what I recall they have done well against the top teams in the west. Are the Sharks even behind in any of the season series with Hawks, Kings, Duck and Blues?

And really this has been done when not health. If Torres and Hertl come back healthy and have the expected impact I really like the Sharks chances. They will have the depth at forward to trade for D depth and still go into the playoffs with excellent depth upfront.

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
Not saying the Sharks dont need any upgrade but from what I recall they have done well against the top teams in the west. Are the Sharks even behind in any of the season series with Hawks, Kings, Duck and Blues?

And really this has been done when not health. If Torres and Hertl come back healthy and have the expected impact I really like the Sharks chances. They will have the depth at forward to trade for D depth and still go into the playoffs with excellent depth upfront.
They having a losing record vs the kings. That's it but winning records against ducks blues split with the hawks

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Coaches won't play stalock, so we would NEED Niemi to play lights out.
Our d is not solid enough. Especially if Boyle does not fully recover.
Mostly, even when fully healthy we were not finding ways to beat true contenders.

Sharks need an upgrade via trade. Or some real good bounces.

Pretty sure they just played Stalock...

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
They having a losing record vs the kings. That's it but winning records against ducks blues split with the hawks

Throw out the shootout games, win or lose, when looking at the record. The playoffs don't have shootouts. The shorthand way is by looking at points earned.

For others,
Nemo has been good in the playoffs, not lights out. Compare SV%'s for playoff goalies and count shutouts per number of playoff games. Goalies playing lights out stack the shutouts and tend to have otherworldly save percentages. Guys like Quick, Thomas . . .

The Catsup King

Jan 21, 2014
The Catsup King is here and wishes to beseech the slovenly fans of the San Jose Sharks!

The San Jose Sharks have decided to tarry no longer, and signed Patrick Marleau and his best friend Joe Thornton to contract extensions!

It seems that the San Jose Sharks, every season, are on the cusp of greatness! Pray thee, may I ask, why they always stumble upon the precipice of success?

The Catsup King durst knows the answer: the San Jose Sharks are CURSED!! Until the General Manager of the San Jose Sharks finds a mojo hand or bequeaths what the Devil believes is his... the original sin of the San Jose Sharks will continue to crumble! Nay, this is not Calvinism, but to make right what once went wrong is a most mysterious solution indeed!

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The Catsup King is here and wishes to beseech the slovenly fans of the San Jose Sharks!

The San Jose Sharks have decided to tarry no longer, and signed Patrick Marleau and his best friend Joe Thornton to contract extensions!

It seems that the San Jose Sharks, every season, are on the cusp of greatness! Pray thee, may I ask, why they always stumble upon the precipice of success?

The Catsup King durst knows the answer: the San Jose Sharks are CURSED!! Until the General Manager of the San Jose Sharks finds a mojo hand or bequeaths what the Devil believes is his... the original sin of the San Jose Sharks will continue to crumble! Nay, this is not Calvinism, but to make right what once went wrong is a most mysterious solution indeed!

I'm interested in this sudden development.

CBJenga

May 30, 2008

Your ideas are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010

I have been saying they have had bad puckluck and running into hot goaltenders for a while. Everyone seems to bring there best against the sharks in the playoffs. Now it makes sense. They are cursed. Forget deadline acquisitions Wilson. A deal with the antichrist should do the trick. Do it Doug.

BigBenSF*

I absolutely think we can. Both Joes are playing some of their best hockey in a while, Niemi has been solid, and this team will be a powerhouse when we get Hertl back.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
If everyone was healthy, yes, I think they could.

But I have this bad feeling that Hertl is out for the season. And the stupid Blackhawks are in the way even though the shorthanded Sharks beat them (granted, in a shootout). I'm not sure they could beat them in a 7 game series.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
If everyone was healthy, yes, I think they could.

But I have this bad feeling that Hertl is out for the season. And the stupid Blackhawks are in the way even though the shorthanded Sharks beat them (granted, in a shootout). I'm not sure they could beat them in a 7 game series.

It's still too early to tell. Teams will change at the trading deadline and we have to see if the moves work or not. I'm honestly not all that worried about Chicago right now. One, the Sharks wouldn't meet them until the conference finals at the earliest which means they have to get through their divisional playoff first which is likely the Kings or Canucks and the Ducks. Two, I don't think Chicago makes it out of their divisional playoffs. The entire Central division has given Chicago a hard time and I think St. Louis will beat them in the playoffs if they happen to meet.

Solmors

<3 Data
May 3, 2010
San Jose
I have been saying they have had bad puckluck and running into hot goaltenders for a while. Everyone seems to bring there best against the sharks in the playoffs. Now it makes sense. They are cursed. Forget deadline acquisitions Wilson. A deal with the antichrist should do the trick. Do it Doug.

He already did that! Marleau said he didn't get a new agent, but thats because he made a deal with the devil! Why else would he sign for $6.66?

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
After the Kings game last night, add another poison matchup to the list. Sutter has them playing anti-Sharks hockey. TM needs to come up with the counter. Same type of stuff that nailed them in the playoffs last year.

A note on Chicago, they are their own worst enemy. They can be beaten if they are not playing the top of their game which happens a lot. If they are playing the top of their game no one beats them. Depends on how big their heads get.

boylerroom

Jan 2, 2012
PRofKA
Even if healthy, and I think Hertl is done for the year and Torres won't be effective when/if he does come back, I still think we are maybe the 4th-7th best team in the league.

Meaning I think the teams better than the Sharks would have to be injured or knocked out for us to win the cup.

Also, I don't think we can beat Chicago or Boston in a 7 game series... LA, ANA, STL, PIT we would need some help.

Translation, No we cannot win without upgrades. I think we need another scoring winger not named Havlat and another Torres type player - a hard to play against winger that also chips in offensively.

You're welcome HF.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad