Can the Sabres make the playoffs?

Can the Sabres make the playoffs?

• Total voters

TorontoMedia

Aug 11, 2020
Fully depends on what kind of Taylor hall shows up.

I think it’s pretty undeniable at this point that the guys attitude sucks. If his team strings together a couple of bad games he starts to just fade out instead of make things better.

the devils were a semi consistent team the year he won mvp and didn’t really have any rough patches or exceptionally long losing steaks and I think it gave him the confidence he needed his entire career.

but again, all it takes is 8-10 not so great games for him to fully mail it in.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Yes but Hall will have to stay healthy and have a strong year, and Staal will have to keep producing at least like a 2nd line center along with Dahlin finally turning the corner and becoming an all situations #1 d-man.

Oh yeah, and Skinner needs pull his head out of his ass and earn at least 2/3 of his ridiculous contract.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Fully depends on what kind of Taylor hall shows up.

I think it’s pretty undeniable at this point that the guys attitude sucks. If his team strings together a couple of bad games he starts to just fade out instead of make things better.

the devils were a semi consistent team the year he won mvp and didn’t really have any rough patches or exceptionally long losing steaks and I think it gave him the confidence he needed his entire career.

but again, all it takes is 8-10 not so great games for him to fully mail it in.

Taylor Hall won't be the difference in their hunt for the playoffs last season aside they have never been close and wouldn't have been last season if the season wasn't cut short.

Taylor Hall can't make up 20-25 points

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
They'll start out hot

Maybe 25 games in there will be threads about how everyone was wrong about Buffal, with something like a 14-8-3 record.

then they'll unravel on queue and lose a majority of their games

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
Why not?

In the Atlantic there's basically the big two...Boston and Tampa. Boston looks to be hurting and should slide downwards. Tampa is pretty much a lock for first.

Assuming Boston falls no further than #2, that leaves the #3 spot wide open for the team who wants to step up and claim it.

Toronto made a few lateral moves and signed several has-beens, never-beens and wannabes as filler material. They're likely no better to worse than last season. Montreal improved...the question is how much. Florida is pretty much the Florida of old.

I'd say #3 is wide open to the team hungry enough to take it. If Buffalo wants it, dig deep and go get it.

TorontoMedia

Aug 11, 2020
Taylor Hall won't be the difference in their hunt for the playoffs last season aside they have never been close and wouldn't have been last season if the season wasn't cut short.

Taylor Hall can't make up 20-25 points
He legitimately did exactly that for the devils but ok

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Weird way to phrase the question. I think any team can make the playoffs, but I don't believe this group will. Not a fan of their blueline or goaltending. I'm betting Tampa, Toronto, Boston, Montreal all make it, which would leave 1 WC spot. Don't think this sabres group is just quite there yet.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
I think they will make the playoffs.

They have high end talent on both offense and defense. And they improved their depth this offseason as well.

Only question mark is in goal, but I still think they're good enough to get a wild card spot.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Depends on playoff format. They are going to be in a BRUTAL division. Can they be better than Philly, Boston, Washington, Pittsburgh or the New York teams? I mean it's possible, but tough. Short season probably helps them though.

Mar 26, 2010
Yes. Hall is getting underrated big time. He may very well be the X factor for Buffalo.

I say they get in.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
Of course the Sabres can. Eichel, Dahlin, and Hall is a fantastic core to build around. I'd be surprised if the Sabres didn't make the playoffs.

nickdawg95

scoutdawg
Jan 7, 2016
Adds Hall staal eakins Rieder Irwin

Out Frolik vesey sobotka simmonds larson

Hall-Eichel-Oloffson
Skinner-Staal-Reinhart
Girgenson-Eakins-x
x-X-Okposo
Cozens/Lazar/Rieder/Thompson/Mittlestadt = X

Dahlin-Ristolanien
Mccabe-Jokiharju
Miller-Montour
Irwin

Ullmark/hutton

IMHO if we send Hutton down/trade him and get a half decent backup i believe we will make playoffs. Hutton

I love how shitty hall is now suddenly because he's on the sabres. can't wait for him and eichel to go over PPG and watch people start backpedaling

Signupnow

Oct 18, 2017
Voted yes because there’s a difference between CAN and WILL.

I wish to thank you for clarifying the difference. But I'd like to inform you that most of the people here understand very well what TS meant without your useless comment thet has been used at least 5 times in this thread already.

And yes I do believe they going to make the playoffs this year around.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I wish to thank you for clarifying the difference. But I'd like to inform you that most of the people here understand very well what TS meant without your useless comment thet has been used at least 5 times in this thread already.

And yes I do believe they going to make the playoffs this year around.

Lol, if my comment was so useless then you wasted your own time.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
I thought they had a playoff roster on paper heading into last season. Their issue isn’t a lack of talent it’s about finding the right mix of players and their coaching staff getting those players to properly execute their system. They also play in a difficult division.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Why not?

In the Atlantic there's basically the big two...Boston and Tampa. Boston looks to be hurting and should slide downwards. Tampa is pretty much a lock for first.

Assuming Boston falls no further than #2, that leaves the #3 spot wide open for the team who wants to step up and claim it.

Toronto made a few lateral moves and signed several has-beens, never-beens and wannabes as filler material. They're likely no better to worse than last season. Montreal improved...the question is how much. Florida is pretty much the Florida of old.

I'd say #3 is wide open to the team hungry enough to take it. If Buffalo wants it, dig deep and go get it.

But if there is realignment they won't be in the Atlantic.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
OK.

Assuming realignment and an all-Canada division which teams replace Toronto, Montreal and Ottawa as playoff rivals to Buffalo?

Then Buffalo is likely in a division with NYR, NYI, NJD, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Washington and Boston

New Jersey aside that is murders row.

If Buffalo gets placed in that division, or anything close to that they haven't got a shot, they are better than New Jersey but that's it and even then New Jersey has a better goalie tandem

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad