Can the Sabres make the playoffs?

Can the Sabres make the playoffs?

• Total voters

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Their offense looks decent enough on paper, that defense is iffy and the goaltending stayed the same.

Felt goaltending was their issue last year and was told otherwise by BUF fans.
I think they're in the playoff mix later/longer into the season but ultimately come up short again.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
There's very few teams I would say don't have the ability to make the playoffs if everything goes right. Any team with Eichel, Hall, a potential breakout from Dahlin, plus players like Reinhart, Skinner and Staal could be a good team. They also have other young guys like Mittlestadt who could surprise. I think the defense and goaltending probably hold them back though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fisticuffer

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Absolutely. 23-25 teams should be in the conversation until the final month. I expect the Sabres to be in that pack.

And if they were in the West I might say I expect them to make the playoffs. I think it's unlikely in the East though, there's too many good teams. It's harder to get wins, and even a 95 point pace probably won't be enough. It's still possible, but they need a lot of players to step up - Dahlin especially would need to take a huge step.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
Any team "could" make the playoffs, but when it comes to the Sabres, the answer should be "No" until they actually do. I do think they'll be in the conversation since the team has started hot the last two seasons in a row.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
I think that team actually looks pretty solid on paper and could surprise ala 16-17 Oilers. But that would require some breakouts from young guns and a lot of overachieving throughout the lineup. They definitely *can* make the playoffs.

But I don’t think they *will* make the playoffs.

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Much like Florida, I'm gonna wait for them to make the playoffs before I start predicting that they do.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Maybe it's just semantics, but all these threads asking "can" something occur are better served asking "will Team X make the playoffs?" or "does Team X have a good chance of making the playoffs?". Because the obvious answer is yes they CAN make the playoffs, whereas the latter two questions are more focused on how realistic it is.

Reactions: JoVel

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
I mean, every year they make a bunch of moves, people list the roster and say they have what it takes only for them to completely collapse. I'm going no until they prove me wrong. lol

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Over half the teams in the league make the playoffs every year. The bottom 4-5 of those teams usually get in on 5-6 point margin. That's a couple shootouts going your way or a goalie getting hot at the right time or some bottom 6 winger shooting a couple % points higher than his career avg.

Just making the playoffs really needs to stop being some holy measure of success. The 2019-20 Arizona Coyotes and Montreal Canadiens made the playoffs last season and they were both profoundly flawed hockey teams.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
No, they aren't good enough, I know they added Staal and Hall but they'd have to finish top 8 to make the playoffs when you look at the east who can you realistically say they are better than?

Tampa? not even close

Toronto? The Leafs are better literally everywhere.

Boston? their core is againg but Boston is better literally everywhere.

Montreal? not with Price and Allen in net

Florida? Their top 6 has taken a major hit but overall probably not.

Ottawa? overall probablyYes but the gap is closing fast they improved their goaltending, and their top 6 and drafted twice in the top 5, yes Buffalo improved their top 6 too, but only for this year Ottawa improvement is this year and long term.

Detroit? absolutely, Detroit might be the NHL's worst team.

NYR? not a chance

NYI? not as long as Trotz is there, the roster isn't that strong but he's a magical coach.

Pittsburgh? Not as long as Crosby and Malkin exist.

Philadelphia? Not a chance.

Columbus? not a spectacular forward group but the defense rock solid there is a reason I wanted David Savard, Columbus is better

Washington? no, not even close there isn't 1 area Buffalo is better.

NJ? Overall probably yes but not in net Crawford and Blackwood is a solid tandem.

For me you can say without question they are better than Detroit, probably better than Ottawa and NJ but that's it.

Reactions: the Chad Kilger

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
can they? yes

will they? no

2 months deep they will be doing well and sabres fans will be happy, then they will lose 10 in a row and be done.

this same thread has been popping up for about 7 years now

RedLeader

Feb 13, 2008
I have a hard time seeing any of the top 6 teams from last season dropping out. (Boston, Tampa, Washington, Pittsburgh, Carolina, Philadelphia)
And the rebuilding teams I can't seeing making the playoffs (Detroit, Ottawa, New Jersey)

Then for the 2 remaining spots you have 7 bubble teams (Columbus, Toronto, NY Islanders, Montreal, Florida, NY Rangers, Buffalo.)

Who could Buffalo be better than?

I think actually Montreal is the worst in that group with Buffalo getting Hall, they weren't much better than Buffalo in the regular season, not putting that much stock in how the playins happend, too many variables.

Florida could continue struggle with Bobrovski.

Columbus and NY Islanders are well coached over performers, they could fall back, these teams tend to when the motivation starts to slip.

Next year I could see them just missing it with Maple Leafs and Rangers grabbing the two final spots.

Last edited:

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I have a hard time seeing any of the top 6 teams from last season dropping out. (Boston, Tampa, Washington, Pittsburgh, Carolina, Philadelphia)
And the rebuilding teams I can't seeing making the playoffs (Detroit, Ottawa, New Jersey)

Then for the 2 remaining spots you have 7 bubble teams (Columbus, Toronto, NY Islanders, Montreal, Florida, NY Rangers, Buffalo.)

Who could Buffalo be better than?

I think actually Montreal is the worst in that group with Buffalo getting Hall, they weren't much better than Buffalo in the regular season, not putting that much stock in how the playins happend, too many variables.

Florida could continue struggle with Bobrovski.

Columbus and NY Islanders are well coached over performers, they could fall back, these teams tend to when the motivation starts to slip.

Next year I could see them just missing it with Maple Leafs and Rangers grabbing the two final spots.

i think you're being too generous with those 6.

Personally the teams I can't see miss playoffs are:

Tampa. Pretty obvious. Still best team on paper + cup champs.
Washington. They looked like shit in playoffs - but they won divisions 5x in a row or so? New coach will help a lot.
Pittsburgh. Crosby/Malkin duo is simply too good. And you can easily notice the trend past few years, when Pitt is floundering a bit in season, both players step up huge to right the ship. So I think they're too good to miss.

That's my only 3 "can't miss" teams.

Boston - I think injuries are significant. I think Marchand and Pastrnak both out for a while, so we'll see. I think Bruin fans should be concerned Chara doesn't have a contract yet either. I think it could affect team dynamics a lot if he's gone.

Philadelphia. They looked really bad in the playoffs - and many of their top scorers were just bad. I don't see them as a top team. I think they're certainly among teams who can qualify - and as they showed last year they can even have a great season - but to me I can very easily things going the other way too and them missing. A possibility - not certainty.

Carolina. They've been pretty solid for a couple of years - and certainly have a lot of talent - but they've yet to be anything more than a bubble team. Always fighting for playoffs till the very end. It's easy to end up on the outside looking in vs on the inside looking out when you're so close to the line. I think they probably make it - but it's a possibility, not certainty.

The rest of your post pretty much explains my reasoning - there's just so many good teams:

Montreal - big improvements in off-season, and Price having a strong backup should help him be better rested and more consistent
Leafs - Struggled a bit last season, but this is a very talented team that should be in the mix and more than likely qualify
Florida - Bob *should* be better right? They have talent too
Buffalo - Lots of great off-season moves. Dahlin + Eichel are super solid. Something's gotta give eventually
Rangers - Such a strong performer late last season, and Lafreniere is just an added bonus. Should be a very good team
NYI - They made the ECF. We keep saying they outperform expectations - but at some point, you gotta start expecting it
Columbus - Surprised almost everyone last year by playing so well in season - and in playoffs - despite major losses. Should be in the mix again.

Yeah I think I'd be absolutely shocked if any of Pitt, Washington or Tampa miss playoffs. I think it's wide open after that (and that's without considering potential re-alignments for next season, that could mess things up even more).

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
i think you're being too generous with those 6.

Personally the teams I can't see miss playoffs are:

Tampa. Pretty obvious. Still best team on paper + cup champs.
Washington. They looked like shit in playoffs - but they won divisions 5x in a row or so? New coach will help a lot.
Pittsburgh. Crosby/Malkin duo is simply too good. And you can easily notice the trend past few years, when Pitt is floundering a bit in season, both players step up huge to right the ship. So I think they're too good to miss.

That's my only 3 "can't miss" teams.

Boston - I think injuries are significant. I think Marchand and Pastrnak both out for a while, so we'll see. I think Bruin fans should be concerned Chara doesn't have a contract yet either. I think it could affect team dynamics a lot if he's gone.

Philadelphia. They looked really bad in the playoffs - and many of their top scorers were just bad. I don't see them as a top team. I think they're certainly among teams who can qualify - and as they showed last year they can even have a great season - but to me I can very easily things going the other way too and them missing. A possibility - not certainty.

Carolina. They've been pretty solid for a couple of years - and certainly have a lot of talent - but they've yet to be anything more than a bubble team. Always fighting for playoffs till the very end. It's easy to end up on the outside looking in vs on the inside looking out when you're so close to the line. I think they probably make it - but it's a possibility, not certainty.

The rest of your post pretty much explains my reasoning - there's just so many good teams:

Montreal - big improvements in off-season, and Price having a strong backup should help him be better rested and more consistent
Leafs - Struggled a bit last season, but this is a very talented team that should be in the mix and more than likely qualify
Florida - Bob *should* be better right? They have talent too
Buffalo - Lots of great off-season moves. Dahlin + Eichel are super solid. Something's gotta give eventually
Rangers - Such a strong performer late last season, and Lafreniere is just an added bonus. Should be a very good team
NYI - They made the ECF. We keep saying they outperform expectations - but at some point, you gotta start expecting it
Columbus - Surprised almost everyone last year by playing so well in season - and in playoffs - despite major losses. Should be in the mix again.

Yeah I think I'd be absolutely shocked if any of Pitt, Washington or Tampa miss playoffs. I think it's wide open after that (and that's without considering potential re-alignments for next season, that could mess things up even more).

I think realignment is all but guaranteed at this point, I think the Canadian division is likely, which would probably put Buffalo with NYR, NYI, NJ, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Washington.

NJ aside that is brutal and even NJ is better in net, not overall but absolutely in net

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I think realignment is all but guaranteed at this point, I think the Canadian division is likely, which would probably put Buffalo with NYR, NYI, NJ, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Washington.

NJ aside that is brutal and even NJ is better in net, not overall but absolutely in net

Canadian division in particular would be hardest to call. Because there's simply no shoe-in there. I'd be shocked to see Ottawa win division (or make playoffs) - but I could see every single other team make a run for #1.

I also agree that if Buffalo gets dumped in an even harder division (don't forget Tampa also in the east who could be in same division), their chances decrease drastically.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Canadian division in particular would be hardest to call. Because there's simply no shoe-in there. I'd be shocked to see Ottawa win division (or make playoffs) - but I could see every single other team make a run for #1.

I also agree that if Buffalo gets dumped in an even harder division (don't forget Tampa also in the east who could be in same division), their chances decrease drastically.

I think they escape Tampa because you want to keep Tampa and Florida together, I think the team I missed in that division is likely Boston.

But if Tampa is tossed in there Buffalo is DOA Tampa would slaughter them.

Even if it's Boston that's a hard road to the playoffs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad