Can the NHL take advantage of NFL and NBA work stoppages?

Discussion in 'Fugu's Business of Hockey Forum' started by LadyStanley, Mar 15, 2011.

1. LadyStanley

LadyStanley RIP Fugu

http://puckthemedia.wordpress.com/2...-a-sports-landscape-all-to-itself-in-2011-12/

Editorial

2. Rink Rage

Rink Rage Registered User

The NHL should use this opportunity to sell the World Juniors to the American public as well.

3. rojac

rojac Registered User Sponsor

So, I'm curious. Just how much more NFL and NBA did you folks watch during the NHL lockout? Because, personally, I didn't watch any more at all. So I see little reason to expect that NFL and NBA fans are suddenly going to start watching the NHL.

4. Rink Rage

Rink Rage Registered User

I actually found myself watching a lot more NFL and NBA.

5. tim_*

tim_* Guest

"Taking advantage" of the lockout would consist of one move: putting the game on ESPN. Leaving it on the current channels without expanding accomplishes nothing.

Non-hockey fans don't know of or care about Versus - chances are if they even have the channel, they don't know what number it is. I certainly wouldn't were I not a fan. ESPN on the other hand is your standard cable sports channel in the US. It's *the* national sports channel, and there really isn't any substitute.

It's more than just airing games though. ESPN has no reason to cover hockey in their daily programming. When they do have a reason (direct viewership on their channel) coverage expands to every person watching Sportscenter and the like. That's where you grow the sport and the league.

I love how much stronger Versus has become, but it's a dead end, as is NBC. Expand - don't get exclusive.

6. Finlandia WOAT

Finlandia WOAT Bench Constance Garnett

a watchmaker
    One way I could see is the NHL loaning money to franchises that have the most to gain from NFL/NBA Lockouts for the purpose of advertising.

Phoenix (Suns, Cardinals)
    The 3 California Teams (Lakers, Clippers, 49'ers, Warriors, Chargers, etc.)
    Colorado (Nuggets, Bronco's)
    Atlanta (Hawks, Falcons)
    Florida (Heat)