Can the Leafs afford to wait for Liljegren and Sandin?

Mar 26, 2010
There is a chance they could be up next season. They both looked great in training camp.

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
Sign a short term top pair defenseman? Sounds easy.

Leafs cannot afford to lose Gardiner. people around here are so fickle. The guy logs big minutes and is a stud offensively. I'd take his production over the odd defensive gaf any day.
I agree, I want them to get Gardiner signed, however the reality is that if Nylander, Matthews and Marner get what we think they’re going to get, Gardiner is all but gone. There just isn’t cap space to sign him.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

Leafs cannot afford to lose Gardiner. people around here are so fickle. The guy logs big minutes and is a stud offensively. I'd take his production over the odd defensive gaf any day.
we know where our cap is, that is why Gards walks, we can't carry him at 6.5/7m per, we just can't

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
I agree, I want them to get Gardiner signed, however the reality is that if Nylander, Matthews and Marner get what we think they’re going to get, Gardiner is all but gone. There just isn’t cap space to sign him.
That's why I made this thread. There's no money for him on a long term deal and he's almost certainly not going to sign short term. Plus, do you want Gardiner on a 6 or 7 year deal? It would look bad very quickly, IMO.

Leafling

Oct 24, 2015

I kinda agree here, i think people are not focusing on him at all with this nylander fiasco. I don't think the management wants to loose gardiner, one can even argue that currently he is of similar value to this team than Nylander. Ideally i hope we can keep both, but that seems unlikely.

Reactions: HockeyGuruPitka

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto

Which is why i feel the time to trade Nylander is now. Acquiring top four defensman of Jake Gardiners calibre is next to impossible. The money on this team needs to be dispersed among the offence and defense. Guys like Kapanen, Grundstrom, Bracco, Brooks, Timashov, will have to fill in the gaps. Its clear as day that the Leafs defense is the issue. Removing Gardiner does absolutely nothing but set this team back. We have seen what happens when we lose Nylander, and its not bad at all.

Trade Nylander for young futures, that havnt yet broken into the league. Buys us some time to develop some defense and keep the current defense core together. There are teams licking their chops to get at either Gardiner or Nylander. Losing Gardiner for nothing, hurts a hell of a lot more then losing Nylander for some quality assets.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Which is why i feel the time to trade Nylander is now. Acquiring top four defensman of Jake Gardiners calibre is next to impossible. The money on this team needs to be dispersed among the offence and defense. Guys like Kapanen, Grundstrom, Bracco, Brooks, Timashov, will have to fill in the gaps. Its clear as day that the Leafs defense is the issue. Removing Gardiner does absolutely nothing but set this team back. We have seen what happens when we lose Nylander, and its not bad at all.

Trade Nylander for young futures, that havnt yet broken into the league. Buys us some time to develop some defense and keep the current defense core together. There are teams licking their chops to get at either Gardiner or Nylander. Losing Gardiner for nothing, hurts a hell of a lot more then losing Nylander for some quality assets.

I'm hoping we can keep both but if that's not possible, there's something to be said for this. Every time I picture our D without Gardiner it's not pretty.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
With the Leafs current core of players can management afford to wait for Tim Liljegren and Rasmus Sandin to develop and come into the lineup or should they be looking to make a move for a proven player?

Of course there is the chance that one or both of them don't develop into NHL players. Also, Jake Gardiner's contract is up at the end of this year and a decision needs to be made about him.

What do the Leafs do regarding their defense?

Not waiting is a mistake from the past that shouldn't be repeated. Always keep first rounders and let youngsters develop.

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
Trading one of them would just be making the same mistakes they have in the past. Leafs may add a reliable veteran like a Hainsey that can give them a year or two in a top four role. Other than that they need to be built within. From my reading, they are saying that both players have top four promise-so wait for them.

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012

I've championed Gardiner a few times here, but with respect to replenishing position from within the organization, aren't we better positioned to address what Gardiner brings with Liljegren and/or Sandin than we are to replace what Nylander brings?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I've championed Gardiner a few times here, but with respect to replenishing position from within the organization, aren't we better positioned to address what Gardiner brings with Liljegren and/or Sandin than we are to replace what Nylander brings?

Well sure, they're Dmen after all. Gardiner might be more important to us than Nylander though considering how thin we are on D.

If we could trade Nylander today for an equivalent talent who played D instead of forward, would that make us a better team?

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
In the mid-term, yes. They will take time to develop into top 4 guys if they ever make it.

However, in the short-term Nylander is more replaceable. We are without him right now and doing fine. We'd be much better with him, but surviving without him. I don't think we could get by without Gardiner or a similar player for 2-3 years.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
For decades, this team traded away youth for a win now mentality, and it cost them badly.

Now that they are finally good, is this even a serious question?

Of course they can afford to bloody wait. This team isn't trying to win a cup this season, but to challenge over several seasons.

They aren't winning one this season regardless - they aren't close yet.

Reactions: Menzinger

member 157595

I cannot get on board with moving Nylander for futures alone. He's simply too good to trade for pennies on the dollar.

I don't see how trading Nylander without receiving a reasonably young, cost-controlled, proven top 4 RHD as part of the return makes sense for us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad