Can the Jets continue to win without depth scoring?

Can we keep winning without secondary scoring?

• Total voters

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
This seems to be the question that I am most curious about.
I mean Ehlers has yet to score a goal.
Connor only has 2. Armia has 2.
Little, Perrault, Copp, Lowry are all not scoring. I don't think Morrissey has a goal and I'm not sure how many Enstrom has either.
Yet, we keep winning because of the scoring of Stas, Chef, Buff, Myers, Laine, Tanev. Therefore, I am curious whether we can keep winning if other players don't start scoring as we are doing pretty well already but can we maintain it?

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
These numbers represent the point production of the forwards of teams, excluding their first line. All situations are considered.

Winnipeg against Nashville: 31 points in 7 games (Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler not factored in)
Winnipeg against Minnesota: 19 points in 5 games

Minnesota against WPG: 9 points in 5 games (Parise-Koivu-Granlund not factored in)
Nashville against WPG: 10 points in 7 games (Forsberg-Johansen-Arvidsson not factored in)

For some context, let's look at the other remaining teams.

Vegas against Los Angeles: 10 points in 4 games (Marchessault-Karlsson-Smith not factored in)
Vegas against San Jose: 27 points in 6 games

Tampa against New Jersey: 19 points in 5 games (Miller-Stamkos-Kucherov not factored in)
Tampa against Boston: 17 points in 5 games (sidenote: MSK had a combined two points against Boston)

Washington against Columbus: 26 points in 6 games (Ovechkin-Kuznetsov-Wilson not factored in)
Washington against Pittsburgh: 24 points in 6 games

I know this is not the be all, end all of evaluating team depth, but based on these numbers, our depth is contributing as much as that of the other teams. Combine that with our incredible top line, Hellebuyck playing great and our defense being comparable to anyone's, and this is one scary team.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
5v5 goals scored per 60 minutes, top 3 in the NHL:

Regular season
1 Tampa Bay 3.02
2 Toronto 2.77
3 Winnipeg 2.69

Playoffs
1 Pittsburgh 3.00
2 Washington 2.58
3 Winnipeg 2.57

Jets Power Play goals per 60 minutes
regular season 8.84 (3rd behind PIT, TOR)
playoffs 9.80 (4th behind BOS, WSH, TBL)

We're fine.

(also note that Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler have six 5v5 goals combined, as many as Stastny alone. It would actually be nice if our first line would start scoring more.)

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Part of the problem is that Wheeler and Connor aren't scoring. If you counted Stas, Buff, Myers and chef's goals and subtracted them from the total number of goals I wonder if they make up more than 5x the rest of the team's goal numbers. It would also require far more math and work than I would feel comfortable with.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
What is this thread even about?

Depth scoring? Every single Jet aside from Enstrome Poolman and Hendricks have at least one point.....not sure what you are on about the Jets have had the very definition of Depth scoring.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
What is this thread even about?

Depth scoring? Every single Jet aside from Enstrome Poolman and Hendricks have at least one point.....not sure what you are on about the Jets have had the very definition of Depth scoring.
So every player having a point makes you feel comfortable? I would feel a bit more comfortable if Little and Perrault Ehlers all each had 4 goals by now and Lowry and Armia had 3. But each their own.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
So every player having a point makes you feel comfortable? I would feel a bit more comfortable if Little and Perrault Ehlers all each had 4 goals by now and Lowry and Armia had 3. But each their own.
What the hell are those for expectations? You want players to score on a 20-25-goal pace while playing 12 minutes a night?

A tip: when stats suggest that your team is near the top in scoring, both in terms of depth and overall, and you still feel that it is not enough, perhaps an adjustment of expectations is in order.

Reactions: DashingDane

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
What the hell are those for expectations? You want players to score on a 20-25-goal pace while playing 12 minutes a night?

A tip: when stats suggest that your team is near the top in scoring, both in terms of depth and overall, and you still feel that it is not enough, perhaps an adjustment of expectations is in order.
And maybe that is all there is to it that my expectations are out of whack. being 3rd out of 4 teams on the pp you have to admit isn't great. Also we are near the top in scoring I'd love to be the top.

Last edited:

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
???

I reject the premise. Look at game one:

Goal 1: D-man (From line one)
Goal 2: 2nd line (Powerplay)
Goal 3: Bottom 6
Goal 4: 1st line (Powerplay)

The only forward who scored a 5v5 goal in game one was Armia. Depth scoring.

Lets go back to game seven against NSH:

Goal 1: D-man (From line 2)
Goal 2: Line 2 (With an assist from Tanev)
Goal 3: Line 1
Goal 4: Line 2 (Powerplay)

Scoring is being spread out nicely.

Reactions: probablywrongbut

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Good everyone has reassured me that I have nothing to worry about. If the mods want to lock it down all is good =)

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Part of the problem is that Wheeler and Connor aren't scoring. If you counted Stas, Buff, Myers and chef's goals and subtracted them from the total number of goals I wonder if they make up more than 5x the rest of the team's goal numbers. It would also require far more math and work than I would feel comfortable with.

:huh: Wheeler has 18 points, Connor has 8

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Honestly, the Jets have played against two strong defensive teams. Just because they've put up points doesn't mean those teams are shit defensively. Minnesota would have been even tougher with Suter, and Nashville ultimately lost the goaltending battle with Rinne shitting the bed in 3 games. Yeah, I'd like to see guys like Ehlers, Little, and Perreault notch a few goals, but there's more to winning games than simply having points. A guy like Tanev potting 4 goals in the playoffs is huge for our depth when he had 8 all regular season, Buff had 8 goals all season and already sits at 5, Myers had 6 all season and currently has 3 in the playoffs, Trouba has 2 in the playoffs and scored 3 in 55 regular season games, Morrow played 5 games for us and notched a huge goal against Minnesota.

Your best players stepping up in the playoffs is not a bad thing, but there's very few players who haven't shown up on the scoresheets the way we'd hope so far and the results speak for themselves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad