Speculation: Can the Isles afford to trade for a goalie? Can they afford not to?

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
If you're a New York Islander fan who wants to keep John Tavares, you're probably wondering if the universe is conspiring against you, these days.
In November, the Islanders won seven of eight games to improve to 15-7-2. But evening during that hot streak the Isles gave up at least three goals five times.
Since then, the Islanders have been awful, going 5-12-2. In those 19 games, the Islanders have given up 78 goals. They've dropped five straight games in regulation, allowing 25 goals.
Lately, the offense has struggled, scoring just eight goals in their last five games.

Going back to mid-November, it was easy to think this team was coming together. Pick up a goalie. Enjoy a positive regular season. Confirm the new arena. Sign Tavares. Go deep in the playoffs. And live happily ever after.

But that didn't happen. First Calvin De Haan got hurt. He's out for the year. Then Johnny Boychuk was hurt. And now it looks like he's out until early February.

So where does that leave the Islanders?
They're sinking like a stone dropped in the East River. They need a goalie and they need at least one veteran defenseman -- SOON -- or their playoff hopes are toast.

On the other hand, is this team good enough to sell off future pieces -- draft picks or prospects -- and climb back in the race?

That's a risky bet, looking at the teams they're chasing in the Atlantic.

But the x-factor is Tavares.

If you don't play to win, what message are you sending to your soon-to-be-free-agent superstar?
Are you going to tell him to take the money and sit through another meaningless March and April and idle May? Do you think he he sticks around for that?

And if that's the plan, what are you doing with Josh Bailey, Brock Nelson, De Haan and Thomas Hickey? Do you start trading off these assets for draft picks and assets (Not De Haan, obviously, since he can't play and has no rental value)?

Signing Tavares was already looking like a rocky road for GM Garth Snow. That rocky road is downright dangerous since the Islanders have been socked by the bombogenesis of injuries, goaltending failures and slumps.

There's no easy way and obvious way forward for this team.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
you havent told us ( islanders fans ) anything that we dont already know.
not trying to be rude, but i dont see the point of this thread.

My point is clear. It may not be news to Isles fans.
But to me was new. So I shared my thoughts.
Mostly, because I was trying to figure out a way to trade you Jimmy Howard or Petr Mrazek. And then I looked and I couldn't see how you swing that trade. At the same time, I don't see how you don't.
If not for Howard or Mrazek, for some other goalie.

It's a pretty big f***ing mess.

Sad, because it seemed like the Isles were experiencing good news a month or so ago.

Reactions: IODCPiper

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
so, all problems with no solutions? sounds like life as an isles fan.

There are probably solutions. But either way Snow goes, he's going to face criticism.

It's a big test. Whatever he does, he needs to make the decision and not let the decision make him.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
i doubt garth would be interested in either of howard or mrazek.

If I was looking at my goaltending and looking at Howard, I'd do it.
Wings could eat some salary and take Halak and a 2nd back in return.
You get a goalie who has played fairly well behind an awful defense for the last two years.
And you get him for a year next year too - at $3M per year.

Mrazek is cheaper and riskier. But he's looking to prove himself.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
Tavares is not re-signing, he is just messing around with the Islanders, I am expecting JT to get traded by the deadline, and I am guessing alot of Islanders are going to be available for purchase as well, if JT is going to leave the Islanders, the Islanders are going to have to have a complete re-build

Reactions: MikeyMike01

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
My point is clear. It may not be news to Isles fans.
But to me was new. So I shared my thoughts.
Mostly, because I was trying to figure out a way to trade you Jimmy Howard or Petr Mrazek. And then I looked and I couldn't see how you swing that trade. At the same time, I don't see how you don't.
If not for Howard or Mrazek, for some other goalie.

It's a pretty big ****ing mess.

Sad, because it seemed like the Isles were experiencing good news a month or so ago.

We've heard the "Tavares will leave as a UFA unless you trade us futures for our expendable players" sales pitch/ultimatum so, so, so many times before.

At least you have the courtesy of asking us for just Halak & 2nd instead of both 1sts and Bellows.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
howard isnt much---if any---better than what the islanders have now.

He really is, but that is more of a reality of just how bad the two guys on your team are playing. Howard has been pretty good this year behind a horrendous D. He is outplaying Greiss and Halak comfortably.

I think the Wings are looking to move Mrazek and not Howard. Mrazek's game has been shaky for a while now so I can see attacking him as a big upgrade, though I do think he is a slight upgrade and he would probably only run you a 4th round pick.

Dano85

Oct 8, 2016
howard isnt much---if any---better than what the islanders have now.

seems like every goalie is better than the Isles goalies at this point? basically bottom 10 in GAA and SV% individually worst GA/G as a team? What makes you say howard wouldnt be better?

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Smith for Dal Colle + a 2nd at the deadline if the Flames are looking bleak to make it.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Dell from SJ, seems to be a player who could take the next step. Could likely be had for a goalie swap plus a second. Maybe another pick/prospect but I think he would be worth it.

ichabod13

Oct 5, 2010
Baltimore Maryland
there was talk among islanders fans about dell just a week or so ago.
personally i would prefer somebody with more starts in his career. i have a hard time getting pumped up about a goalie who has only started 36 games at the age of 28.
garth was already tricked once by a career back up who fooled him into believing he was a starter. i dont know if he is willing to take that chance again.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
you havent told us ( islanders fans ) anything that we dont already know.
not trying to be rude, but i dont see the point of this thread.
Red wing fan, hoping the isles are buyers.That they bite on one of the Red Wing goalies (or Green)

Reactions: 21 Savage

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I haven't followed the Isles, but if you say that your problems arose when De Haan and Boychuck got injured, then maybe the root of the problem is you need to rent a Dman?

If the D is the issue, then getting a goalie won't help much.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
- Isles need a goalie who is extremely good at handling and passing the puck. The system they play and lack of experience on the blue line dictate that requirement. They also need size, fast lateral movement and good control of rebounds. So if you have a proven one or a potential one with sound skills like that then it would be what Isles needs. Will also stay away from goalies have prone injury history.

The trade will not inclue Isles own 1st rounder. The lottery draft will be a top end D talent, exactly what Isles need for rebuilding should JT walks or get traded at deadline.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
If you're a New York Islander fan who wants to keep John Tavares, you're probably wondering if the universe is conspiring against you, these days.
In November, the Islanders won seven of eight games to improve to 15-7-2. But evening during that hot streak the Isles gave up at least three goals five times.
Since then, the Islanders have been awful, going 5-12-2. In those 19 games, the Islanders have given up 78 goals. They've dropped five straight games in regulation, allowing 25 goals.
Lately, the offense has struggled, scoring just eight goals in their last five games.

Going back to mid-November, it was easy to think this team was coming together. Pick up a goalie. Enjoy a positive regular season. Confirm the new arena. Sign Tavares. Go deep in the playoffs. And live happily ever after.

But that didn't happen. First Calvin De Haan got hurt. He's out for the year. Then Johnny Boychuk was hurt. And now it looks like he's out until early February.

So where does that leave the Islanders?
They're sinking like a stone dropped in the East River. They need a goalie and they need at least one veteran defenseman -- SOON -- or their playoff hopes are toast.

On the other hand, is this team good enough to sell off future pieces -- draft picks or prospects -- and climb back in the race?

That's a risky bet, looking at the teams they're chasing in the Atlantic.

But the x-factor is Tavares.

If you don't play to win, what message are you sending to your soon-to-be-free-agent superstar?
Are you going to tell him to take the money and sit through another meaningless March and April and idle May? Do you think he he sticks around for that?

And if that's the plan, what are you doing with Josh Bailey, Brock Nelson, De Haan and Thomas Hickey? Do you start trading off these assets for draft picks and assets (Not De Haan, obviously, since he can't play and has no rental value)?

Signing Tavares was already looking like a rocky road for GM Garth Snow. That rocky road is downright dangerous since the Islanders have been socked by the bombogenesis of injuries, goaltending failures and slumps.

There's no easy way and obvious way forward for this team.

Snow said a few weeks ago he was not trading for a goalie,that his goalies would have to play out of their funks.
Before Boychuk went out, Halak's play had improved, but Griess was still struggling.

Now with De Haan out for the season and last I read Boychuk week to week, I think the isles focus will be on D,not goaltending at this point.
Address goaltending the offseason would be my guess.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Dell from SJ, seems to be a player who could take the next step. Could likely be had for a goalie swap plus a second. Maybe another pick/prospect but I think he would be worth it.
His name came up in a blog site trade article.
I cannot recall,but is he an rfa this summer or ufa?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad