Can the Boston teams hold all four major sports championships?

Can Boston hold all four titles?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
Hockey's always going to be the weakest link in any market with teams in all four leagues. It's the only sport that has parity enforced with a hard salary cap - yes, every year, there are a handful of teams that aren't going to make it to the playoffs, and a handful that seem shoo-ins. But even once you get to the playoffs, even with a best-of-seven format, upsets can still happen. I mean, look at last year - did ANYONE see the Golden Knights winning 3 rounds before the season started? The Stanley Cup is the closest of the four trophies to rolling a 30- (or 31- or 32-) sided die.

So...yeah, we've got a chance to win the next two major championships. A better than average chance for each one, obviously, given that both teams are currently in position to at least MAKE the playoffs in the first place. But it's still up for grabs - MoneyPuck puts the Bruins at about 5.8% now to win - basically, a little worse than an average team that makes the playoffs, which seems about right. And given that the NBA still seems to be heavily supporting dynastic teams, the Celtics are outsiders at best.
Well to be fair, the NHL has been a pretty "dynasty driven" league even since the initial expansion. I mean if we look at the sports track record, pretty much every decade (besides the 2000's) featured at least one or two mini to dominant dynasties.

In the 70's, it was the Habs who dominated throughout, with the Bruins and Flyers winning a couple championships as well

In the 80's, the first half was all about the Isles, while the second half was owned by the Oilers with the Great One

In the 90's, the early years were dominated by Pittsburgh, while the late 90's/early 2000's were dominated by Detroit, New Jersey and Colorado

And over the last 10 years, Pittsburgh and Chicago have been alpha-dogs of the league, with the Kings winning a couple along the way

Of course, hockey still provides more parity than many other sports, but dynasties and dominant teams have still always been present in the sport

Last edited:
Reactions: smithformeragent

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Honestly, I'd say the Bruins are closer than the Celtics just because of the nature of the NBA.

Celtics might make the finals, but they aren't beating Golden State.

Golden State isnt as strong this year.

Also, the Celtics match up extremely well against the Warriors. going back to the 2014 season:

114-111 L road
106-101 L home
124-119 2OT L home
109-106 W road
104-88 L home
99-86 W road
92-88 W home
109-105 L road
115-111 L road

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Celtics have a team that if they get hot they can breeze to the finals and possibly beat GS. Bruins are top heavy and there is a lot of puck luck and bounces needed to win it all. Celtics imo have a better chance

bruinsden

PRO/BOS Bruins!!!
Jul 2, 2006
Rhode Island
If you could find a book that would let you parlay the two, a $100 bet could still net you $31400 if the Bruins and Celtics win it all.

northeastern

Apr 16, 2009
boston
Celtics didn't add anything at the deadline I don't see then making the finals not to mention taking in Golden State....

Bruins are long odds as well but I'll wait till the deadline

Deleted

Nov 11, 2017
I placed a bet here in Ireland with Irish bookmaker PaddyPower last September for just this to happen. I put 20 Euro on it (around 22 Dollars), if it comes to pass I'll win 48,500 Euro (around 55k dollars). I'm half way there :naughty:

pgm16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2010
St. John's NL
If the Celtics play tough defense in the playoffs, yes for them.

If the Bruins find the right guys at the deadline,they have a shot also.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Celtics didn't add anything at the deadline I don't see then making the finals not to mention taking in Golden State....

Bruins are long odds as well but I'll wait till the deadline
C's are the 4 seed, and have a legitimate chance at a top 3 seed since Indiana lost Oladipo; B's are where heading into the weekend?

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I placed a bet here in Ireland with Irish bookmaker PaddyPower last September for just this to happen. I put 20 Euro on it (around 22 Dollars), if it comes to pass I'll win 48,500 Euro (around 55k dollars). I'm half way there :naughty:

@IrishBruinsFan I swear there seemed to be a Paddy Power store in every neighborhood I visited. :)

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
C's are the 4 seed, and have a legitimate chance at a top 3 seed since Indiana lost Oladipo; B's are where heading into the weekend?

Currently the 5 seed (2 points back of #4 with a game in hand) and have a legitimate chance at a top 3 seed since the standings other than Tampa are so tight

northeastern

Apr 16, 2009
boston

The NBA isn't like the NHL. You can be top in the east in the NBA and no one cares because Golden State is the measuring stick and I don't think the Celtics have what it takes, they match up to them well but I still don't think they'll pull it off. Not to mention the east got stronger at the deadline while the Celtics stood still...

The NHL on the other hand has seen many higher seeds win the cup... If the bruins add a winger and solve the third line a hot streak is all they need... The lightning are amazing but still not a golden state super team.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
The NBA isn't like the NHL. You can be top in the east in the NBA and no one cares because Golden State is the measuring stick and I don't think the Celtics have what it takes, they match up to them well but I still don't think they'll pull it off. Not to mention the east got stronger at the deadline while the Celtics stood still...

The NHL on the other hand has seen many higher seeds win the cup... If the bruins add a winger and solve the third line a hot streak is all they need... The lightning are amazing but still not a golden state super team.
turn that around, northeastern, how many decades did the NBA go through Boston?

Deleted

Nov 11, 2017
@IrishBruinsFan I swear there seemed to be a Paddy Power store in every neighborhood I visited. :)

Bookie shops have popped up on every corner here over the last 10-15 years. Paddypower is probably the largest. Not the most pleasant of industries to have growth in but it is what it is.

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013

Those odds aren't very generous! Even if you give every team the best odds of winning imaginable (which in September were pretty low for the Red Sox and are always low for the Pats), it should still come to a lot more than 2500 times the money when you compound four so (relatively) unlikely events! Oh well, still hope it happens, for your sake and ours! :)

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I see HUTCH has his Random Phrase Generator in top working order again. :loony:

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
turn that around, northeastern, how many decades did the NBA go through Boston?
The NBA hasn't gone through Boston since Bill Russell retired. The Larry Bird era was great, but it was shared with Magic and the Lakers, and lets be real, the Lakers were the better franchise in the 80's, achievement wise. Boston has also won just one title in the last 33 years now, while making it to just 2 finals. The NBA has been running through any LeBron-led team, Golden State and even the Spurs for the last many years now

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->