Can the Boston teams hold all four major sports championships?

Can Boston hold all four titles?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
With the Red Sox winning the World Series last October, and the Patriots winning another Super Bowl last Sunday, Boston sports teams are halfway to holding all four major sports titles simultaneously!! I highly doubt any city has ever done that before, which would make this feat 10000% unprecedented

Looking at the other teams, the Celtics have a good shot of making the finals as they have an incredibly deep team that seems to be built for the postseason, the Bruins are a top 3/4 team in the East, and given the unpredictable nature of the NHL, any team that qualifies for the postseason will have a decent shot at Lord Stanley.

What an accomplishment that would be if it were to happen

Last edited:

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
Very slim

Bruins are by far the long shot of the group

Celtics have no chance to win the title this year with Golden State in the league.. if they somehow win the East which is very doubtful considering they will be on the road almost all postseason

Bruins atleast have a chance if they get hot and make a trade

Reactions: northeastern

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
Celtics have no chance to win the title this year with Golden State in the league.. if they somehow win the East which is very doubtful considering they will be on the road almost all postseason

Bruins atleast have a chance if they get hot and make a trade

It's going to have to be one hell of a trade for this team to be able to get past Tampa, Washington, or both...

Reactions: TD Charlie

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
It's going to have to be one hell of a trade for this team to be able to get past Tampa, Washington, or both...
I'd currently favor Tampa, Pittsburgh and Washington over the Bruins at the moment, but anything can happen in the NHL playoffs. Taking out GSW in a 7-game series is pretty much impossible

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
Bruins unfortunately are the weak link:(

The Bruins are 5th in the Eastern Conference...2 Points out of 2nd place

The Celtics are 4th in the Eastern Conference..3.5 games out of 2nd place

1st place out of reach for both teams

The Bruins are not the weak link

There actually in the same spot

Both upper to middle tier Eastern conference teams with slight shot at title

Reactions: Strafer

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
The Bruins are 5th in the Eastern Conference...2 Points out of 2nd place

The Celtics are 4th in the Eastern Conference..3.5 games out of 2nd place

Yes but the Celtics have an active GM who will make moves in an attempt to win it all..

The Bruins on the other hand despite having a great core that unfortunately has been there for a while now without any help brought in by the man whose responsible for making the team better.

Reactions: Fenian24

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
Yes but the Celtics have an active GM who will make moves in an attempt to win it all..

The Bruins on the other hand despite having a great core that unfortunately has been there for a while now without any help brought in by the man whose responsible for making the team better.

The Celtics will not make a move tomorrow and if they do it would be trading Kyrie not adding...there team for this season is set a big move if it came would come this summer

Bruins have the room to make a move...but I agree Don needs to finally pull off a signature trade

Talking this year only Bruins have a better chance to win a title

And it mostly comes down to the fact that the

Bruins have much better odds to beat Tampa....than the Celtics do to beat Golden state

Last edited:

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
I'd currently favor Tampa, Pittsburgh and Washington over the Bruins at the moment, but anything can happen in the NHL playoffs. Taking out GSW in a 7-game series is pretty much impossible

Unless Sweeney does something significant, yes - we can hold onto the 'anything can happen in the NHL playoffs thing.

Nothing would make me happier than another cup. I hope Sweeney goes out and kills it before the deadline, but the Celtics at this point are in a better position, regardless of the standings on February 6th.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Unless Steph Curry and Kevin Durant both get season-ending injuries, the Celtics have 0 chance.

Bruins aren't going to get by Tampa without serious help either

Reactions: Orr2Neely8

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
what's weird:

Marcus Smart is your longest tenured Celtic at 5 years, everyone else is 13, (Pedroia) 15 (Bergeron), and 19 (Brady)

Last edited:

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
How about this. I can see a scenario where the Celtics reach the finals. As constituted, I can't see the Bruins doing the same.

Sure I'd agree with that. Maybe the Celtics have a 50% chance of getting to the final... but they have a 2% chance of winning it. Golden State is unbeatable and fluke wins are exceedingly rare in 7 game basketball series.

The Bruins have maybe a 10% chance of getting to the final but if they make it there I'd give them a 40-50% chance of winning it. There's a lot more luck in hockey than basketball, which is why I'd say the Bruins are a better bet. The Bruins are 8th in the league right now but they've been injury plagued and have some holes that are going to be easy to fill at the deadline.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Bruins have to either go on a godlike run and/or hope the big dogs in the East get knocked out early. Celtics need to make the final, which they have a decent chance to do, and GS has to completely choke or have half of their starters get injured.

There's a small enough chance of either for them to happen... But for 2/4 to win and for the other 2 to even be contending, that's pretty damn impressive.

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
It'd be the Bruins who would have to pull something out of their butt. It'd be something similar to a NSH or LA run where we're mediocre the whole year and turn it on come playoff time. We're playing underdogs this year.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Yep, I think they can.

I just don't see the Bruins adding the help they desperately need to do so.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
There was a thread in the summer where someone noted the betting odds were 1000:1. I got laughed at for saying it was worth $100 punt for $100K.

Reactions: CharasLazyWrister

TheFerenceWheel

The Excellence of Execution
May 2, 2011
South Shore, MA
Is it possible? Yes. Probable? No. Though I would give the Bruins a better shot at Stanley then the Celtics at the title just due to the nature of both sports. Would be wild though right?

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Chad Finn: After Red Sox and Patriots, do we dare dream of a championship ‘Slam’?

The Bruins’ road to the Stanley Cup Finals would be more grueling and winding, but it is fathomable that they can get there. They are currently fourth in the Atlantic Division and fifth in the Eastern Conference with 65 points, just 2 back of second-place Toronto. The Lightning (81 points) have been the class of the conference, while the defending champion Capitals (64 points) have a bit of a Cup hangover, no surprise given that their celebration seemed perpetual through the offseason.

The Bruins have a flawed roster — David Pastrnak, Brad Marchand, and Patrice Bergeron carry too much of the scoring burden — and injuries have roughed up the defensive corps. But a savvy move or two by general manager Don Sweeney at the Feb. 25 trading deadline — one that aids more than the acquisition of Rick Nash last year — could lead to a long postseason run.

The task of keeping up with the Patriots and Red Sox is a tall one for the Bruins and Celtics, but the Single-City Slam is still a possible right up until it isn’t. In the meantime, keep agitating all of those other cities that have already seen enough of our victory laps.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Hockey's always going to be the weakest link in any market with teams in all four leagues. It's the only sport that has parity enforced with a hard salary cap - yes, every year, there are a handful of teams that aren't going to make it to the playoffs, and a handful that seem shoo-ins. But even once you get to the playoffs, even with a best-of-seven format, upsets can still happen. I mean, look at last year - did ANYONE see the Golden Knights winning 3 rounds before the season started? The Stanley Cup is the closest of the four trophies to rolling a 30- (or 31- or 32-) sided die.

So...yeah, we've got a chance to win the next two major championships. A better than average chance for each one, obviously, given that both teams are currently in position to at least MAKE the playoffs in the first place. But it's still up for grabs - MoneyPuck puts the Bruins at about 5.8% now to win - basically, a little worse than an average team that makes the playoffs, which seems about right. And given that the NBA still seems to be heavily supporting dynastic teams, the Celtics are outsiders at best.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad