Can the Blues go on a cup run?

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
I think the Sharks, Preds and Knights are all better. Possibly the Jets as well

Ah ok, so not necessarily something with the Blues just that you think the quality of competition is tough, got it.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I'd warn people not to get too hyped about a team that goes on a long winning streak to the playoffs. Generally, that kind of inconsistency makes me iffy on a team's chances. Idk about 2018, but between the four teams that had 10+ game winning streaks in 2017 (Calgary, Philly, Minnesota, Columbus), they combined for a grand total of 2 playoff games won between them (Philly didn't make it, so I guess it isn't fair to include them). Its great for St. Louis that they make it to the show (also means they aren't at risk of giving up a good pick), but I'm skeptical that they go far.

frivolousz21

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS ST LOUIS BLUES
May 17, 2007
St. Louis, Mo
Jake Allen sucks.

How many rookie NHL goalies with 30 NHL starts win the cup?

The players if healthy are a good enough group.

But the goaltending from a historical perspective might be in very rare territory.

Didn't Ken Dryden win as a a rookie?

Last edited:
Reactions: Sushiko

EurlichBachman

Oct 30, 2017
Chicago
Jake Allen sucks.

How many rookie NHL goalies with 30 NHL starts win the cup?

The players if healthy are a good enough group.

But the goaltending from a historical perspective might be in very rare territory.

Didn't Ken Dryden win as a a rookie?
Matt Murray comes to mind who only had 13 games played in 2016 before winning the cup.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Barring a big acquisition at the deadline, I don’t think the Predators are all that scary. Jets moreso simply because Laine usually kills the Blues but they are beatable as well.

Who the heck knows what will happen.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
probably not just because there's multiple teams in their conference that are clearly better than them(two of which are in their own division)

but I mean sure they could they're a good team and I was very surprised at how long they were outside of the Playoffs for earlier this year

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
None of the top western teams are running away with the division like Tampa Bay is doing in the east.
There a good chance for any hot team playing well with good goaltending in April to go the Stanley Cup finals

Reactions: Devonator

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I've read somewhere that second half record tends to have a higher correlation with post-season performance than the full season record. So far in the second half, the Blues are among the best teams in the league.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Anyone who says no need look no farther back than the Preds run to the finals 2 years ago as a WC2.

The Blues have been looked at as contenders for a while,including after the moves they made the last two years. They were only crappy because of bad goaltending(and arguably coaching). Now that they have some consistency in net they are the team everyone thought they would be. I sure as hell am not looking forward to the Preds playing them in round 1. Would almost rather the Blues pass both us and the Jets and draw 'peg in round 1 at this point. We can only hope that Binington is having a "First pass effect" and after teams see him a few times he will be more human

Vincent32

Dec 13, 2018
I don't know about Blues fans, but if this was the Red Sox, pre-2003, we'd all know that this was just part of the big tease that would end up leaving us disappointed. Don't fall for it Blues fans.

Sure, but all it takes is that one time. Why not the blues?

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
I say yes. Binnington will be the X-factor for them, because Allen has been holding them back. If the Blues can do it, they might want to add some trade dead line depth to put themselves in a better position to beat the higher seeded teams.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
probably not just because there's multiple teams in their conference that are clearly better than them(two of which are in their own division)

but I mean sure they could they're a good team and I was very surprised at how long they were outside of the Playoffs for earlier this year

How is Nashville “clearly” better? Blues just beat them twice this week and are 6-points back with 3 games in hand. They’ve shut out Tampa, Colorado, Arizona & Minnesota in their current 10-game winning streak. During this streak they’ve outscored their opponents 40-14. (Not a typo). During Buffalo’s 10-game streak they outscored their opponents by 12 total goals.

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
How is Nashville “clearly” better? Blues just beat them twice this week and are 6-points back with 3 games in hand. They’ve shut out Tampa, Colorado, Arizona & Minnesota in their current 10-game winning streak. During this streak they’ve outscored their opponents 40-14. (Not a typo). During Buffalo’s 10-game streak they outscored their opponents by 12 total goals.

Yeah they've been wiping the floor with worse teams and beating top tier teams.

There is nothing fluky about the Blues. They have a talented roster that had big expectations coming into the year. They just needed time for the pieces to gel together and to fire Mike Yeo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->