Can the Blues go on a cup run?

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
They'll probably face NSH or WPG in the 1st round so I don't think so. I think those teams are a lot better but anything can happen in April. Beauty of hockey compared to a sport like basketball.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
The are the hottest ten right now for sure, but we still do not know if binnington is the real deal yet, and its going to be hard to pay this well for another 2 months

Reactions: Sushiko

serp

Jan 17, 2016
They'll probably face NSH or WPG in the 1st round so I don't think so. I think those teams are a lot better but anything can happen in April. Beauty of hockey compared to a sport like basketball.

I don't think either of those teams are that good and there is a decent chance with both slumping and the Blues beeing red hot now that they actually could win the Central.

Reactions: BlueDream

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Homer bias, but yeah I don't see why not.

The goaltending has stabilized, but it's not why they're winning. Numbers show it's not like Binnington is getting a John Gibson/Freddie Andersen level workload. It doesn't feel fluky. Probably won't be a 931 save percentage, but 915, 917 yeah why not?

Tarasenko is really hot now, but O'Reilly has been this level player all year. This is just who he is. And for as hot as they are, there's some other players, namely Jaden Schwartz, that still really haven't put it together yet, so while there could negative mean regression from Tarasenko, there should be positive mean regression from guys like Schwartz.

One thing that could really sink us though is a pretty weak powerplay. Even in this 9 game winning streak, I think there's only been 1 powerplay goal.

If I had to pick a West team today, it would be San Jose, but it's not out of the realm of possibility for it be the Blues.

Got One Cup

Jun 3, 2008
I’m just enjoying watching this team right now, it’s what I expected the beginning of the season. If Schwartz and Fabbri could get back to somewhere around their previous play this team would be dangerous. Been a blues fan for 30+ yrs so not getting my hopes up.

ledzeppelinfan1

Feb 26, 2010
Everyone thought they would be amazing this offseason. They took a while to gel which is understandable with all the new faces.

Now that they've gelled, we have to justify why they could go on a run?

Of course they could!!! This is the team people were expecting months ago!!!

Nobody should really be that surprised.

Honeycutt

Jan 18, 2010
Yup. No team will want to play the blues come April. Would rather go through the Pacific division, but they can beat the preds and jets if they continue this level of play.

Reactions: Weiss1604

Bogey64

Feb 2, 2013
St Peters,Mo
I think we should tap the brakes on a cup run just yet. Overall though, the top players are performing - the D is much improved and the goal tending has been great. This is a great recipe for success. If they keep playing like this they will be a tough match up come playoff time.

Reactions: Sushiko

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I think so. West is quite weak this season, even Nashville and Winnipeg aren't exactly impressing. Conference finals would be the greatest hurdle, but that's just one series and then they're in SCF where anything can happen.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008

When you compare the Blues and Preds rosters, I wouldn’t say the Preds are better.

Reactions: Weiss1604

mooncalf

Mar 15, 2017
San Jose
They could, but it's a tough road. Assuming they finish 3rd in the Central, they'd have to beat NSH, WPG, and then whatever team wins the Pacific (who will also be a very good team). They probably won't be favored in any of these rounds. But they look really good right now. I for sure wouldn't want any part of them, particularly in an early round.

Demandedace

Apr 9, 2015
The Blues team we're seeing right now is much more in line with expectations prior to the season starting than the team before Christmas. I fully expect this team to challenge for the Western Conference title

Reactions: Mike Liut

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
If the playoffs started today I won't be surprised about the blues making a run. It's that classic 'get hot at the right time' scenario

Reactions: Mike Liut

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Vegas went on a run and they aren't built aswell. Getting into the playoffs and with momentum could give them the confidence to make it especially in a weaker west this year

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
I mean its hockey. So yeah, any team can.

But personally I dont see it

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Yes, they can. It matters not what happened in the fall, if you stay hot at the right time.

Not many teams can match them right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad