Can sweden threepeat?

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
It's completely random, it all depends on the NHL playoffs. For example, if Nashville beats Winnipeg, does either Sweden of Switzerland even make the Final?

It was a bit like that a decade back or even further with Forsberg, Sundin, Alfredsson, etc. It was crucial that they showed up. These days we really don't have that level of impact forwards, but a host of decent ones and a D core which is deep enough to not present problems even with injuries/declines.

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
Well, Finland won in 1995 and 2011 without any NHLers (well, ok, Mikko Koivu - before a near-career-low season), so Sweden can do it too.

And before you ask, from the 2011 team only two players would go on to have any sort of NHL career: Mikael Granlund and Leo Komarov.

The 1995 team was a bit more "stacked" in terms of future NHLers: Saku Koivu, Jere Lehtinen, Ville Peltonen, Sami Kapanen, Janne Niinimaa

Last edited:

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Unfortunatly this much depends on the rosters the teams can chake loose from the NHL. But Sweden is always in the mix in the IIHF Worlds.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Depends on what players show up, if they get the right guys then sure.

I feel they need to win it in regulation or O.T play however to really impress me.

These shootout wins....................cmon, nail it down in game time fellas.

And no, I am not saying that you didn't deserve to win because you won in a shootout, those are the rules for everyone and you won within the rules. It's just...........................well, you need to win in game time, you really do.

I just hope that if you do win next year for a 3 feet it is by playing hockey, not that gimmick shootout horseshit.

It really takes the edge off, especially when it's done in consecutive, or an even worse horror, 3 times in a row.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Sure, why not. These are the guys to do it, assembled from last two teams:

Gabriel Landeskog - Mika Zibanejad - William Nylander
Adrian Kempe - Mikael Backlund - Gustav Nyquist
Mattias Janmark - Victor Rask - Elias Lindholm
Magnus Pääjärvi - Jacob de la Rose - Joakim Nordström
Dennis Everberg - Lias Andersson - Elias Pettersson

Oliver Ekman Larsson - Adam Larsson
Alexander Edler - Jonas Brodin
Erik Gustafsson - John Klingberg
Rasmus Dahlin

Jacob Markström
Anders Nilsson
Magnus Hellberg

Lollipop

Jul 23, 2013
Yes Sweden can threepeat. But it depends on what team we will get.

What impress me most is that Sweden won gold with two different teams. Only three players were in both gold teams.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Malcolm

Apr 6, 2016

What impress me most is that Sweden won gold with two different teams. Only three players were in both gold teams.
For all teams the only real question is what team does Canada assemble? Every year is a different team for the most part. 2015 and 2016 almost completely different. The only reason these teams love this tournament is they actually have a chance to win. If Canada sends a 2015 team every year no other country stands any chance at all. I am pretty sure with every decline that Canadian players send along to Hockey Canada the participation rate increases by one for all other countries. They take a look around at the end of the season and say, “oh no Benn, Seguin, Price etc... might just go this year”. Then as more declines role in the ice hockey federations become positively giddy with the prospect of a victory. Best on best has shown since 1972 that outside of 4 competitions, 81 Canada Cup, 96 WCH, 98 OG and 2006 OG, Canada has won all best on best competitions.

Snauen

Dec 27, 2017

Agreed, very impressive. We dont need (like Canada does) to field the absolute best players and stars to win, we just go whit the NHL-er that are availiable and win whit them. Sweden rules

Malcolm

Apr 6, 2016
Agreed, very impressive. We dont need (like Canada does) to field the absolute best players and stars to win, we just go whit the NHL-er that are availiable and win whit them. Sweden rules
You just beautifully proved my point. This year’s C team might beat the D team. Canada wins this thing and it is on the sport highlights for two minutes then forgotten about by 99% of Canadians. Everyone else holds parades when they win the Skoda Cup. An epic battle with the two hockey superpowers in 1987 is the stuff that remains years later in the collective memory of Russian and Canadian hockey fans. Although the Soviets lost they still maintain that it was the best hockey ever played and the winner worthy of the title World Champion. Every year the IIHF holds a ‘World Championship’ that is a watered down facsimile of a World Championship.
The Swedes do have 2006 for sure. But that is it in the history of hockey. I agree that Sweden does not need their best to win in May, but neither does anybody else. As another poster has pointed out in another thread if Nashville beats Winnipeg chances are Sweden and Switzerland don’t play for gold. As dominant as the 2015 team was it was far from Canada’s best as you suggest. I would love to see a best on best Sweden / Canada best of seven series. Then we can chat about how truly great the Swedes are.

Ducks76

Oct 15, 2017
You just beautifully proved my point. This year’s C team might beat the D team. Canada wins this thing and it is on the sport highlights for two minutes then forgotten about by 99% of Canadians. Everyone else holds parades when they win the Skoda Cup. An epic battle with the two hockey superpowers in 1987 is the stuff that remains years later in the collective memory of Russian and Canadian hockey fans. Although the Soviets lost they still maintain that it was the best hockey ever played and the winner worthy of the title World Champion. Every year the IIHF holds a ‘World Championship’ that is a watered down facsimile of a World Championship.
The Swedes do have 2006 for sure. But that is it in the history of hockey. I agree that Sweden does not need their best to win in May, but neither does anybody else. As another poster has pointed out in another thread if Nashville beats Winnipeg chances are Sweden and Switzerland don’t play for gold. As dominant as the 2015 team was it was far from Canada’s best as you suggest. I would love to see a best on best Sweden / Canada best of seven series. Then we can chat about how truly great the Swedes are.
Isn t that wonderful? The NHL is guilty! That s the system. In all other sports like Football(soccer),handball,volleyball etc. you have beston best ever. Only in hockey we ve other circumstances. Thank you NHL! Here in europe some countries can dream. Sweden is now a superb.And why not could mauch swedish fan say yeah we are better than canada now. Best of seven? It will never pe possible. Thank you NHL! ;) ;)!

Reactions: Malcolm and ulvvf

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
This is hardly a C team, then only players we really miss of big value was, Karlssonx2, Bäckström and Hedman. They would have made the team stronger yes, but in the best of best tournament you can always miss key players also for different reasons. So it was at least a B team, if not a A- team. If the players continue to say yes like they have the last 2 years, then we will continue be one of the big favorites, if not the big favorite hands down.

I agree with ducks 76, NHL is the problem. NHL have way to much power in the sport, they also rigg the best of the best tournaments. However IIHF has hardly done anything to change it for the better. Making WHC bigger with more teams is hardly the way to go. They should have it with lesser team, shorter and after the playoff has stop, and only have it every second year or so, or similar,. Yes it is wrong that they have to adapt after NHL, but that is the reality so. But they have done nothing at all during all these years. Yes NHL is the bad guy, but why not make even a attempt to adapt little bit at least? I know the answer, money, more teams having it every year means more money.

Reactions: Malcolm

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
Isn t that wonderful? The NHL is guilty! That s the system. In all other sports like Football(soccer),handball,volleyball etc. you have beston best ever. Only in hockey we ve other circumstances. Thank you NHL! Here in europe some countries can dream. Sweden is now a superb.And why not could mauch swedish fan say yeah we are better than canada now. Best of seven? It will never pe possible. Thank you NHL! ;) ;)!

Yes canada and usa have only themself to blame, they can not make excuses since they are the ones making the system. Plus it is always funny to see canada and usa making those excuses since is not canada suppose to have the best deph, so they should benifit from tournaments like this.

Snauen

Dec 27, 2017
Yes Canada is not only "supposed" to have the best depth, since the majority of Nhl-players are from there, they should have the best depht. Yet here we are discussing if Sweden can win the World Championships three years in a row..

And to those bringing up the goalies beeing difference; Since when did Anders Nilsson become this ùber goalie?

European players are under valued compared to North Americans in the Nhl, thats it. Probably for marketing, language and cultural reasons, thats how it is. And is not very strange, since its a league in America. Tired of hearing about the Canadians beeing sooo much better though. They are definetely not. And a best of the best of seven between Swe - Can should be a thriller, and could end either way, every hockey fan knows that

Malcolm

Apr 6, 2016
Yes Canada is not only "supposed" to have the best depth, since the majority of Nhl-players are from there, they should have the best depht. Yet here we are discussing if Sweden can win the World Championships three years in a row..

And to those bringing up the goalies beeing difference; Since when did Anders Nilsson become this ùber goalie?

European players are under valued compared to North Americans in the Nhl, thats it. Probably for marketing, language and cultural reasons, thats how it is. And is not very strange, since its a league in America. Tired of hearing about the Canadians beeing sooo much better though. They are definetely not. And a best of the best of seven between Swe - Can should be a thriller, and could end either way, every hockey fan knows that
We can only hope to see a true best on best four out of seven series between Canada and Sweden some day. I agree that greed on both sides of the Atlantic is preventing anything like this ever happening.
In regard to Canadians being better, you are only as good as your last best on best tournament as they say.

Malcolm

Apr 6, 2016

Best on Best Since 1976
1976 Canada Cup - Canada
1981 Canada Cup - USSR
1984 Canada Cup - Canada
1987 - Canada Cup - Canada
1991 - Canada Cup - Canada
1996 - World Cup - USA
1998 - Оlympics with NHL - Czech Republic
2002 - Оlympics with NHL- Canada
2004 - World Cup - Canada
2006 - Оlympics with NHL -Sweden
2010 - Оlympics с NHL- Canada
2014 - Оlympics with NHL - Canada
2016 - World Cup - Canada

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Karlsson hasn't won it yet, he's probably both willing and able to play (if he isn't traded to a good team that is). A lot of teams can get good rosters though, it all depends on how the NHL season develops.

Would be awesome to see him play for Sweden again. #### he's so good

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad