Can sweden threepeat?

Healthy DiPietro

Jan 4, 2014
Karlsson hasn't won it yet, he's probably both willing and able to play (if he isn't traded to a good team that is). A lot of teams can get good rosters though, it all depends on how the NHL season develops.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Canada came 1 shootout away from winning 3 straight IIHF World Championships last year. The preliminary stages of this tournament are a joke, we already know countries like Sweden will be guaranteed to make the playoffs so the question becomes is Sweden capable of winning just 3 games? (QF, SF, Final) and that answer is obviously yes.

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
Canada came 1 shootout away from winning 3 straight IIHF World Championships last year. The preliminary stages of this tournament are a joke, we already know countries like Sweden will be guaranteed to make the playoffs so the question becomes is Sweden capable of winning just 3 games? (QF, SF, Final) and that answer is obviously yes.
You just described every tournament.

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
Which is why this thread is pointless.
It is still hard to threepeat. Cze did it 1999-2001, soviets did it last in the 80s.

So how it is pointless?

It is definitely harder now with legit nhlers playing compared to the past

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It is still hard to threepeat. Cze did it 1999-2001, soviets did it last in the 80s.

So how it is pointless?

It's hard because the same number of teams have roughly the same chance to win every year on average.

So to win three times in a row, that chance has to come up in your favour three times.

It's statistically improbable but not impossible.

Because the rosters are so variable, there's nothing really more you can say.

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
It's hard because the same number of teams have roughly the same chance to win every year on average.

So to win three times in a row, that chance has to come up in your favour three times.

It's statistically improbable but not impossible.

Because the rosters are so variable, there's nothing really more you can say.
Roughly the same teams? The swiss did not make the finals in the 80s, 90s, 00s.

Reactions: LiveeviL

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Roughly the same teams? The swiss did not make the finals in the 80s, 90s, 00s.

Yeah, and the Russians didn't factor in this year. Their own fans would be the first to tell you how weak their team was this year. Canada had no business beating anyone but they managed to beat Russia.

There's 4 or 5 teams that can legitimately win every year.

It may not be the same exact teams but around the same number of competitive teams.

Roll the dice three times and hope for the best.

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
Yeah, and the Russians didn't factor in this year.

There's 4 or 5 teams that can legitimately win every year.

It may not be the same exact teams but around the same number of competitive teams.

Roll the dice three times and hope for the best.
4-5? More like 7 teams.

Russia
Canada
Czech
Swe
Finland
Usa

And the swiss have 2 finals in 5 years

Roll the dice? It aint that simple. It takes hard work to win.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
4-5? More like 7 teams.

It's not that complicated.

The 4-5 teams are usually comprised of those 7 teams, but I wouldn't say all 7 have a good chance of winning gold every year.

Roll the dice? It aint that simple. It takes hard work to win.

Sure, and then next year, you have a completely different roster and maybe a different coach.

There's no continuity.

If Sweden has a weak team for whatever reason next year, it's not because they "choked" or didn't "live up to expectations" but likely because they had the wrong combination of personnel available.

The World Championships, like the World Juniors, is a tournament where being the defending champion doesn't mean anything.

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
It's not that complicated.

The 4-5 teams are usually comprised of those 7 teams, but I wouldn't say all 7 have a good chance of winning gold every year.

Sure, and then next year, you have a completely different roster and maybe a different coach.

There's no continuity.
I am not following you here so i take a step back.

I hope for a threepeat thats all.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I am not following you here so i take a step back.

I hope for a threepeat thats all.

You asked if it was possible and I said "Sure."

Them winning the third tournament will have nothing to do with them winning the first two.

That's what I'm saying. Every tournament is a new event.

It's not like Pittsburgh winning back to back Cups.

Reactions: Future GOAT

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
You asked if it was possible and I said "Sure."

Them winning the third tournament will have nothing to do with them winning the first two.

That's what I'm saying. Every tournament is a new event.

It's not like Pittsburgh winning back to back Cups.
Same coaching staff though. Sweden tend to roll with same coach for 5 years. (Too long imo)
Completely new players though, i agree with.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Same coaching staff though. Sweden tend to roll with same coach for 5 years. (Too long imo)

Yeah, it can have an impact on the system that way.

Completely new players though, i agree with.

It's kind of why I like the WHC.

I like the novel combinations of lines and players that I don't get to see together very often.

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
I am more surprised czech rep won three in a row almost 20 years ago.

How did czech rep hockey program go to **** again
Good question, I've been wondering what happened to the Czech's, they had a good system going and have been performing below what I expected out of them for a long time now. Not sure what's going on there.

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
It's completely random, it all depends on the NHL playoffs. For example, if Nashville beats Winnipeg, does either Sweden of Switzerland even make the Final?
Sweden won the gold last year with nashville in the finals, remember?
we have 100 players in the NHL.

Reactions: TommySalo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->