Can someone explain to me How the ECHL works?

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
When I first started watching the league, 18 years ago, there used to be a lot more major junior players coming to the ECHL. Either guys who were never drafted, or drafted by never signed. Over the last several years it has shifted toward mostly NCAA college graduates. There were a couple years where it was more difficult for teams to get visas for Canadian players, which probably drove some of that change, but I think that issue was resolved a while back.

The one thing that's changed is the education packages CHL teams offer their players. ECHL teams are less likely to take chances on major junior players, because a few can play part of a year and then leave in December to go to college (where they can retain their eligibility if they play in Canada) and use their education package, which has a time limit for use.

A four-year NCAA player (who played Junior A until the age 20 year) is a rookie at 24 years of age, and usually doesn't hit the 260-game vet minimum until 28. A major junior grad is 20 years of age and hits the vet minimum at the same time the NCAA player is a rookie, which is a big reason why ECHL teams have begun to move toward signing more college players (who are older and likely won't go back to school) and fewer major junior grads (who are younger and hit the vet minimum earlier in their careers, plus can use their ed package).

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
The one thing that's changed is the education packages CHL teams offer their players. ECHL teams are less likely to take chances on major junior players, because a few can play part of a year and then leave in December to go to college (where they can retain their eligibility if they play in Canada) and use their education package, which has a time limit for use.

A four-year NCAA player (who played Junior A until the age 20 year) is a rookie at 24 years of age, and usually doesn't hit the 260-game vet minimum until 28. A major junior grad is 20 years of age and hits the vet minimum at the same time the NCAA player is a rookie, which is a big reason why ECHL teams have begun to move toward signing more college players (who are older and likely won't go back to school) and fewer major junior grads (who are younger and hit the vet minimum earlier in their careers, plus can use their ed package).
I'm sure that's part of it too - especially the fact that teams get an older, more mature player, for a cheaper price.

I do recall some Canadian players who ended up leaving the Royals in the middle of their rookie year to go back to school - usually once they realized they didn't have a realistic chance to get to the AHL immediately.

I think part of it too is that better players are choosing college hockey. Back then, all the best players went to play Canadian major juniors, and most of them tried to turn pro when they were done. The ones who couldn't get a spot with a major junior team went the college hockey route. (not 100%, but in general). Now a lot of top tier players come through the US development system and go to US colleges who have the skill and ability to go to Canada, but choose not to. Plus it seems there are just a lot more US hockey players today vs 10-20 years ago, so the quality and quantity of the college game has grown as a result.

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
And the quality of the USHL
I think part of it too is that better players are choosing college hockey. Back then, all the best players went to play Canadian major juniors, and most of them tried to turn pro when they were done. The ones who couldn't get a spot with a major junior team went the college hockey route. (not 100%, but in general). Now a lot of top tier players come through the US development system and go to US colleges who have the skill and ability to go to Canada, but choose not to. Plus it seems there are just a lot more US hockey players today vs 10-20 years ago, so the quality and quantity of the college game has grown as a result.

That, and as someone who worked in a USHL market for 10 years, the quality of that league is outstanding. It's a really strong league, but allows players to play in a high-quality junior league while still having college eligibility, which has provided a path that really didn't exist before (and your point about U.S.-born players is good - and largely comes from the growth of the USHL & NAHL).

Lots of advantages to having a 24-year-old rookie who has played in the USHL & NCAA and is the same age as a veteran who came from the CHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->