can someone explain the usphl League's?

Dec 13, 2010
Premier, Elite, and Empire are all sort of separate junior hockey leagues with junior hockey age restrictions under the same USPHL umbrella. Premier is the top division, Elite is 2nd, and Empire is 3rd. Gives big time programs the ability to have 3 different junior hockey teams to have players bounce in between divisions if they preform above or below expectations. 18U and 16U are the younger age-restricted leagues. They're also adding a new division, 16U Futures for next season.

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
How is it in compare to USHL and NAHL?

In terms of level of play very close to NAHL and less than USHL by a bit. In terms of collegiate advancement the USPHL Premier is above NAHL and a bit closer to the USHL.

Dec 13, 2010
The USPHL's issue is more parity than anything else. Small league where this year there wasn't much doubt who the two teams competing for the championship would be (NJH/BJB) and it'll probably be like that with maybe another team or two thrown into the mix for a while. Junior Bruins and Jersey Hitmen Premier teams could be good NAHL teams, and while they're definitely a step below they wouldn't be completely out of place in the USHL. Lot of DI commitments.

mattkaminski15

Feb 25, 2014
Chicago
Premier, Elite, and Empire are all sort of separate junior hockey leagues with junior hockey age restrictions under the same USPHL umbrella. Premier is the top division, Elite is 2nd, and Empire is 3rd. Gives big time programs the ability to have 3 different junior hockey teams to have players bounce in between divisions if they preform above or below expectations. 18U and 16U are the younger age-restricted leagues. They're also adding a new division, 16U Futures for next season.

How does a player go about joining any of the leagues? If there are no teams around said player are his chances of playing in the league diminished? For the 16U and 18U is the hockey comparable to midget aaa in the T1EHL or is it better, or maybe worse? Is it a good route to take if a player wants to play college hockey in division 1? Don't mean to hammer these questions, I'm just interested.

Dec 13, 2010
How does a player go about joining any of the leagues? If there are no teams around said player are his chances of playing in the league diminished? For the 16U and 18U is the hockey comparable to midget aaa in the T1EHL or is it better, or maybe worse? Is it a good route to take if a player wants to play college hockey in division 1? Don't mean to hammer these questions, I'm just interested.

Assess where you think you belong, and start getting in touch with teams. A lot of teams will be scouting showcases around the country (although more near their area) and holding open tryouts. This stuff is happening now, so if this question is for you personally and you're looking to play next year you should get a jump on it. Go on the USPHL website, check out some teams and see what information they have about joining on their site. If this is for you and you want some more personalized help, feel free to get in touch with me. I work directly with a few USPHL teams and know a handful of coaches/GMs personally and could probably help steer you in the right direction.

In terms of where you're from compared to where the teams are, I wouldn't worry about it so much. The Junior Bruins (Junior National Champions) had players from Las Vegas, Ohio, California, and some other non-traditional hockey markets. The Jersey Hitmen (ranked #1 in the country on myhockeyrankings power rankings) have players from Michigan, Ontario, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Texas, Illinois...list goes on. It's all about putting yourself out there for these teams to see you, and if you're the right fit they'll want you.

I would say their 16U and 18U hockey is at a higher level than what you're seeing from the T1EHL right now. Plus you're already in an organization that will likely have a team (or affiliate) in the higher USPHL divisions, so it's a good way to get yourself in.

http://usphl.com/college-commitments

That's a link to all the players in the USPHL who are committed to colleges as of today. Plus, assume that there are a few players here and there who have been shown interest but haven't committed yet (good example is Cloonan of the Junior Bruins, extremely talented player who de-committed from a DI school recently to find something better). In terms of Tier III junior hockey, you can't beat the USPHL Premier, and I think the Elite is on par with just about any other league in this country. Plus, if you're playing in the Northeast you have tons of colleges nearby with DI hockey programs and they are REGULARLY scouting the USPHL.

Not to delve into private conversations, but scouts and officials from higher level leagues in the US and Canada have seen the USPHL and are extremely impressed by what their Premier teams are doing. And if you want to see how high the talent level is in Elite, check out what the Springfield Pics did at Nationals this year. Being in the top 4 is not too shabby.

Again, if this is just an inquiry I hope this helps. If this is something you're looking at as a player, don't hesitate to send me a PM and I could probably help you out in more specific ways than I'd want to post on a message board.

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
I would say their 16U and 18U hockey is at a higher level than what you're seeing from the T1EHL right now. Plus you're already in an organization that will likely have a team (or affiliate) in the higher USPHL divisions, so it's a good way to get yourself in.

Only thing I disagree with haha. USPHL midgets will, at least for the next couple years, be a little below the T1EHL and obviously HPHL. Comcast is joining USPHL and HPHL next season, and is a step in the right direction for USPHL midgets but until Boston Advantage, Jr. Flyers, Jr. Sabres, Jr. Prens, WBS Knights join the league, it will be be the lesser league in terms of skill. Exposure in USPHL midgets might be better though..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad