Can someone explain the FA game to me please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
I have seen a bunch of "FA Game" threads and it looks pretty cool. Can somebody please tell me how it works? I would like to get involved in one but I dont want to be clueless about it.

Some of the things Im curious about are: Can you win the game? If so, how do you? and just all the fundamentals things that are involved with something like this.

If there is a thread somewhere that can answer all my questions please let me know.

wreckingcru

Sep 2, 2011
Hi, FA games are incredibly fun! You start off by picking a team, I you get that team you put up your roster on the roster thread for the game. Usually, you start in the off-season right before the draft. You make whichever trades you feel will aid your team. There is commisioners per game to ensure the game and trades the game does not get out of hand (eg no crosby, stamkos trades). After you select your players in the draft, you prepare for the start of the season through maybe further trades or Free Agency signings which start after the draft. Different threads have different ways of simulating seasons, some get all the GMs to send a list of rankings, others sim the season. Whichever way, the season gets simluated, and you would win by winning the Stanley Cup through simulation or by voting. Hope this clears things and hope you join a game soon. Cheers.

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
Thanks Wreckingcru! That does help a lot! When are the draft and free agency periods? Do the Commisioners decide that? Alos, you said the seasons are either done by team rankings from other GM's or by being simulated... How do they simulate the season? Is there something online they do or do they use something like NHL 12 or something?

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Thanks Wreckingcru! That does help a lot! When are the draft and free agency periods? Do the Commisioners decide that? Alos, you said the seasons are either done by team rankings from other GM's or by being simulated... How do they simulate the season? Is there something online they do or do they use something like NHL 12 or something?
The Draft and FA are set by the Commish, usually a date that works for everyone.

The standings are voted upon by the GMs

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
The Draft and FA are set by the Commish, usually a date that works for everyone.

The standings are voted upon by the GMs

So if the GMs vote for standings the Best Team on paper wins?

Is it one vote and the season is done or are there several voting days?

Also, how does the drafting work? I understand that you draft the prospect from this years draft but what about the next season and every one after that? Or is this a one season game?

wreckingcru

Sep 2, 2011
So if the GMs vote for standings the Best Team on paper wins?

Is it one vote and the season is done or are there several voting days?

Also, how does the drafting work? I understand that you draft the prospect from this years draft but what about the next season and every one after that? Or is this a one season game?

Depends on what the commisioners think. Each GM game people usually get bored after one full season. I would love to have a GM game where we get 2 full seasons. And for drafting, it is only the player eligible for that year. (eg, Nathan Mackinnon cannot be selected in the 2012 draft). And there are several votings. For the one I am currently in we do one before the season, wait a few days, and then on before the playoffs, and then we go into the playoffs. Simulations are sometimes used, depending on Commisioner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad